“Clean, comfortable, good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Middleton
Aberdeen, South Dakota
“Clean, comfortable, good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was a nice hotel for the price. It is located next to East Towne Mall and many restaurants. The lobby and room were clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but as all we were doing was sleeping at the hotel, this wasn't a problem. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Marriott Madison West, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank your for taking the time to respond. We continue to strive to improve our facility and look forward to serving you again in the future.

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Gladstone
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Madison West on the evening of Thursday, April 25th 2013 and upon arriving at approximately 7:30 pm, noticed there were meal trays along the hallway to my room from earlier guests. This was my first red flag and should have been more of a warning sign to me about the lack of cleanliness and service offered by the hotel. At approximately 10:30 pm, I turned in for the evening only to find that there was a splattering of blood on my duvet. I immediately called guest relations and they offered to move me to another room or have someone from housekeeping service the room. I opted to have the room serviced since I was so tired and did not desire to pack up my bags, etc. Housekeeping arrived and changed the duvet and cover. However, once they left and I was ready to again retire for the evening, I found more blood on the bed sheet. By this time I became frustrated and asked to change rooms. Guest relations found me an upgraded room and provided a free breakfast in the morning along with 10,000 reward points, but I still ended up paying for the room. I am not happy about my stay nor with the leadership in this hotel. Obviously these issues are systemic and begin at the top with leadership that is concerned about the cleanliness of their business and a truly satisfied guest experience. A clean sweep is probably needed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience. We agree that this is unacceptable and I am glad that they staff was able to offer some restitution for your experience. Although an isolated incident, we have taken steps through retraining to ensure that this issue does not occur again. We would like the opportunity in the future to show you what we are capable of and deliver and much better experience.
Almond, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was expecting more. The conference services were good, but my room was not. The bathroom was too small, bath/shower too small, no hair dryer. The room didn't have a switch to light up the room - I had to go to each lamp to light up the room. Also found the pillows too hard.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. As we conclude our renovations here, we hope to have many of these items addressed. Hair dryers are in each room and our pillow package is being changed and upgraded as well. The lighting situation has also been rectified, ensuring that all lights are pluuged in to the correct outlets. We invite you to stay with us again in the near future and experience the improvements that have been made.
Kenosha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a regular at Marriott Hotels. I found this hotel to be subpar. Front desk staff was great as was James behind the bar. My room....had two double beds. I requested a king for my week long stay but was denied due to the hotel being full. The room wasn't as clean as I would have liked. Comforter had a rip in it. Was never changed. Housekeeping didn't do a very good job at all. Shower had handprints, sink was dirty. Not what I expect from a Marriott. Had to pay for internet in my room!! Shocked! Room was noisy as well. Heard plenty of outside noise. Won't be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Although we cannot honor all requests for different room types, we try to meet as many as possible. In addition to our current room renovations we are also completing additional retraining in houskeeping to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We look forward to having you experience our hotel after our renovation is completed.
Edgerton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Hotel was a fairly nice place to stay with very good service. The only issue we had was construction going on during night time hours that made it difficult to sleep. Many places to see and eat nearby.

Room Tip: North side units get wonderful sunlight in the morning.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. We do apologize for the distractions during your stay during our renovation and would love for you to visit our hotel again upon its completion. I would ask that you reach out to me directly prior to your next visit so that I can ensure you are accomodated.
Sheboygan, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference at the hotel.
Room- I had a king room on the 7th floor. It was quite spacious, with a small couch. The bed was comfortable, shower had great water pressure. My only complaint, if you will, was that there were cards promoting being "green" suggesting that if you hang your towel, they won't replace it etc, in order to conserve water. I did hang my towel, but I still found that it was replaced with a clean one, and I was also given new shampoos/soaps when I still had plenty leftover from the previous day. Some may see this as generous (woohoo, freebies!) while others may see it as wasteful.

Conference facilities- The room itself was fine, temperature was okay, verging on chilly at times, but not enough for me to pull on a jacket. The food was delicious. We had lunches each day and the selections were good, and quite tasty. The desserts were massive.

Location- I didn't venture far from the hotel, just to the outdoor shopping center that is essentially across the street. There were plenty of dining choices nearby and better shopping in that one center than my whole town, so I was pleased.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Our efforts to continue to improve our green practices are always evolving and we will use your comments to work on this program. Thanks again!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I am a regular at Marriott Hotels. I found this hotel to just be ok.

On the good side, the staff was friendly and helpful. The location was convenient for me. And I had a nice, large room.

I found the exercise room and executive lounge to be adequate.

On the down side, they are upgrading the internet service, and I could not get my laptop to connect to the internet. As a business traveller who needs to get work done, this was a real pain. Also, my room had a bit of a cigarette smell in some places, perhaps a holdover from a prior day when it was a smoking room? And the hotel appears a bit dated, such as the red carpet that looks like a holdover from the 1970s.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your review and have addressed the internet issue. We have installed 70 additional access points and boosted the speed of the internet as well as the amount of bandwidth allocated to each guest. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you a much higher level of internet service.

Been to Marriott Madison West? Share your experiences!