“Not what I expected for Marriott” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Middleton
Almond, Wisconsin
“Not what I expected for Marriott”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was expecting more. The conference services were good, but my room was not. The bathroom was too small, bath/shower too small, no hair dryer. The room didn't have a switch to light up the room - I had to go to each lamp to light up the room. Also found the pillows too hard.

• Stayed March 2013
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Marriott Madison West, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. As we conclude our renovations here, we hope to have many of these items addressed. Hair dryers are in each room and our pillow package is being changed and upgraded as well. The lighting situation has also been rectified, ensuring that all lights are pluuged in to the correct outlets. We invite you to stay with us again in the near future and experience the improvements that have been made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Kenosha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am a regular at Marriott Hotels. I found this hotel to be subpar. Front desk staff was great as was James behind the bar. My room....had two double beds. I requested a king for my week long stay but was denied due to the hotel being full. The room wasn't as clean as I would have liked. Comforter had a rip in it. Was never changed. Housekeeping didn't do a very good job at all. Shower had handprints, sink was dirty. Not what I expect from a Marriott. Had to pay for internet in my room!! Shocked! Room was noisy as well. Heard plenty of outside noise. Won't be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Although we cannot honor all requests for different room types, we try to meet as many as possible. In addition to our current room renovations we are also completing additional retraining in houskeeping to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We look forward to having you experience our hotel after our renovation is completed.
Edgerton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Hotel was a fairly nice place to stay with very good service. The only issue we had was construction going on during night time hours that made it difficult to sleep. Many places to see and eat nearby.

Room Tip: North side units get wonderful sunlight in the morning.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. We do apologize for the distractions during your stay during our renovation and would love for you to visit our hotel again upon its completion. I would ask that you reach out to me directly prior to your next visit so that I can ensure you are accomodated.
Sheboygan, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference at the hotel.
Room- I had a king room on the 7th floor. It was quite spacious, with a small couch. The bed was comfortable, shower had great water pressure. My only complaint, if you will, was that there were cards promoting being "green" suggesting that if you hang your towel, they won't replace it etc, in order to conserve water. I did hang my towel, but I still found that it was replaced with a clean one, and I was also given new shampoos/soaps when I still had plenty leftover from the previous day. Some may see this as generous (woohoo, freebies!) while others may see it as wasteful.

Conference facilities- The room itself was fine, temperature was okay, verging on chilly at times, but not enough for me to pull on a jacket. The food was delicious. We had lunches each day and the selections were good, and quite tasty. The desserts were massive.

Location- I didn't venture far from the hotel, just to the outdoor shopping center that is essentially across the street. There were plenty of dining choices nearby and better shopping in that one center than my whole town, so I was pleased.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Our efforts to continue to improve our green practices are always evolving and we will use your comments to work on this program. Thanks again!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I am a regular at Marriott Hotels. I found this hotel to just be ok.

On the good side, the staff was friendly and helpful. The location was convenient for me. And I had a nice, large room.

I found the exercise room and executive lounge to be adequate.

On the down side, they are upgrading the internet service, and I could not get my laptop to connect to the internet. As a business traveller who needs to get work done, this was a real pain. Also, my room had a bit of a cigarette smell in some places, perhaps a holdover from a prior day when it was a smoking room? And the hotel appears a bit dated, such as the red carpet that looks like a holdover from the 1970s.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your review and have addressed the internet issue. We have installed 70 additional access points and boosted the speed of the internet as well as the amount of bandwidth allocated to each guest. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you a much higher level of internet service.
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The atrium looked impressive with polite desk staff, that's the only positive I found. Bathroom very small with no fan. Able to hear traffic noise. Bed average, no refrigerator. Renovations caused slow or no internet. Had to move to a different room to even get internet that was slow. Left request for a wake up call and was called twice, both at the wrong time! Attempted to call front desk at 11:00pm. and it took four calls before someone answered. No free continental breakfast, room service breakfast was terrible and over priced...very greasy hash browns, cold eggs etc. Ice machines did not work on four different floors, had to go floor to floor to find one that worked. Room was not cleaned until 4:00pm. after the desk was called and it was requested. The cafe cost - over $40.00 for two average salads and two small bowls of soup (no drinks). I've had much better service, food and rooms at smaller, local hotels, at a lower price. The Marriott will not get my business again and I will not recommend it to friends or co-workers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. You are correct that full service Marriott's do not offer complimentary breakfast or internet and not all rooms have refrigerators (although they are available by request). I do apologize that the food was not to your liking and will ensure our Executive Chef works with your comments to improve. Although I understand that there may be other hotels that offer the complimentary offerings that you are looking for, we would like the opportunity to serve you again should our hotel fit your needs.
Brookfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times when in the Madison area. This stay was definitely my worst experience.

Hotel was very full w/ swimming, wrestling and cheer leading events in town. Only room available was handicapped room right across from the elevators. It was loud in the elevator waiting area.

At 10:30pm, teens were talking at the top of their lungs while waiting for the elevator. My wife asked them to be respectful of people trying to sleep. She made a call to the front desk regarding the issue. They responded that they don't have a "quiet policy" until 11pm. That seems a little late to me.

Buffet breakfast is good, but choices have been better in prior stays.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your stay. Your frustration is understandable as hosting kids sports tournaments definitely changes the dynamic of the property. We have since changed the policy for quiet time on weekends to begin earlier as well as increasing manager presence. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Been to Marriott Madison West? Share your experiences!