“Good conference hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Middleton
Sheboygan, WI
“Good conference hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference at the hotel.
Room- I had a king room on the 7th floor. It was quite spacious, with a small couch. The bed was comfortable, shower had great water pressure. My only complaint, if you will, was that there were cards promoting being "green" suggesting that if you hang your towel, they won't replace it etc, in order to conserve water. I did hang my towel, but I still found that it was replaced with a clean one, and I was also given new shampoos/soaps when I still had plenty leftover from the previous day. Some may see this as generous (woohoo, freebies!) while others may see it as wasteful.

Conference facilities- The room itself was fine, temperature was okay, verging on chilly at times, but not enough for me to pull on a jacket. The food was delicious. We had lunches each day and the selections were good, and quite tasty. The desserts were massive.

Location- I didn't venture far from the hotel, just to the outdoor shopping center that is essentially across the street. There were plenty of dining choices nearby and better shopping in that one center than my whole town, so I was pleased.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MadisonMarriott, General Manager at Marriott Madison West, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our efforts to continue to improve our green practices are always evolving and we will use your comments to work on this program. Thanks again!

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I am a regular at Marriott Hotels. I found this hotel to just be ok.

On the good side, the staff was friendly and helpful. The location was convenient for me. And I had a nice, large room.

I found the exercise room and executive lounge to be adequate.

On the down side, they are upgrading the internet service, and I could not get my laptop to connect to the internet. As a business traveller who needs to get work done, this was a real pain. Also, my room had a bit of a cigarette smell in some places, perhaps a holdover from a prior day when it was a smoking room? And the hotel appears a bit dated, such as the red carpet that looks like a holdover from the 1970s.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your review and have addressed the internet issue. We have installed 70 additional access points and boosted the speed of the internet as well as the amount of bandwidth allocated to each guest. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you a much higher level of internet service.
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The atrium looked impressive with polite desk staff, that's the only positive I found. Bathroom very small with no fan. Able to hear traffic noise. Bed average, no refrigerator. Renovations caused slow or no internet. Had to move to a different room to even get internet that was slow. Left request for a wake up call and was called twice, both at the wrong time! Attempted to call front desk at 11:00pm. and it took four calls before someone answered. No free continental breakfast, room service breakfast was terrible and over priced...very greasy hash browns, cold eggs etc. Ice machines did not work on four different floors, had to go floor to floor to find one that worked. Room was not cleaned until 4:00pm. after the desk was called and it was requested. The cafe cost - over $40.00 for two average salads and two small bowls of soup (no drinks). I've had much better service, food and rooms at smaller, local hotels, at a lower price. The Marriott will not get my business again and I will not recommend it to friends or co-workers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. You are correct that full service Marriott's do not offer complimentary breakfast or internet and not all rooms have refrigerators (although they are available by request). I do apologize that the food was not to your liking and will ensure our Executive Chef works with your comments to improve. Although I understand that there may be other hotels that offer the complimentary offerings that you are looking for, we would like the opportunity to serve you again should our hotel fit your needs.
Brookfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times when in the Madison area. This stay was definitely my worst experience.

Hotel was very full w/ swimming, wrestling and cheer leading events in town. Only room available was handicapped room right across from the elevators. It was loud in the elevator waiting area.

At 10:30pm, teens were talking at the top of their lungs while waiting for the elevator. My wife asked them to be respectful of people trying to sleep. She made a call to the front desk regarding the issue. They responded that they don't have a "quiet policy" until 11pm. That seems a little late to me.

Buffet breakfast is good, but choices have been better in prior stays.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your stay. Your frustration is understandable as hosting kids sports tournaments definitely changes the dynamic of the property. We have since changed the policy for quiet time on weekends to begin earlier as well as increasing manager presence. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Room was very nice, bed was comfy, but no refrigerator, ice machines on some floors did not work, internet was over $12.00 per day, no continental breakfast and no where to sit in the hallways or lobby area (I wanted to do some work, but without the free wifi, there was no point and it took me forever to find a cozy nook to just relax while waiting for a friend). We also wanted to work on a presentation the night before and internet (we got a free password eventually for being presenters at a conference) was not working on upper floors (they did have warning signs in lobby though)

Several of our friends stayed at other less expensive hotel chains in the area and had a frig, wifi and a breakfast - I'll be looking into that as well.

ONE THING FOR SURE - the staff were absolutely amazing - very friendly, funny and helpful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response. I do understand your frustration as full service Marriotts do not provide the complimentary breakfast and internet that limited service properties offer. We have switched our policy and do now offer complimentary internet in the public areas and well as a series of small booths off of the lobby with outlets to plug in your devices if they need to be recharged. We hope to have another opportunity to0 serve you in the future
Dodgeville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

At the Marriott Madison West, some renovations are currently being done during daytime hours on several rooms. The front desk and management are sensitive to this fact, even though no inconvenience was caused by the construction. This fact, combined with my Marriott status, resulted in a free upgrade to a suite. The buffet breakfast was outstanding. From check-in to checkout, the staff was extraordinarily helpful and friendly. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Some parts of the hotel are far away from the renovations.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us a such a glowing review. Our goal is to continue to provide great service and we look forward to seeing you again.
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was likely a very nice property twenty years ago. The rooms are long overdue for an updating. The lobby is nice and the workout room is sufficient. The pool is dated but for the most part clean. Staff are actually very nice.

My first room had linens that were dirty (or stained) significantly. I was quickly moved to another room.

Maid service was okay. They never put the ironing board away and did not leave enough towels in the room.

Room service was poor. I ordered the cheese tray (since I was in Wisconsin) and strawberry shortcake. When I called they seemed to be out of a lot of stuff. The cheese was cubed and likely put together earlier in the day or week. This made the cheese dry and flavorless. The dessert was strange, six slices of pound cake with strawberries and cream on it. The cheese was garnished with M&ms (yes m&ms).

I stayed four nights and was tolerating the stay well until the last night. There was a road crew convention/reception is the main lobby. This hotel is a large atrium with the bar, restaurant, and reception area in the middle. From 4pm until 2am that night there was a deafening noise throughout the hotel was could be heard in my room. It woke me up many times and proved difficult to fall asleep. While I appreciate a hotel's needs to make revenue they should have closed the bar and ended the reception at 11pm. This showed no consideration for their hotel guests.

(For the hotel's benefit I was in rm 204 from 1/27-1/31).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay and e apologize that you it was not a pleasant one. We continue to provide ongoing training for our room attendants to ensure the highest level of cleanliness and correct these occurrences. Our Atrium does provide a challenge when large groups are on the property but we have come up with steps to try and prevent this in the future. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a more pleasant stay in the future.

Been to Marriott Madison West? Share your experiences!