“Smells like an ashtray in all the hallways” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Devils Head Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merrimac
Devils Head Resort
S6330 Bluff Road, Merrimac, WI 53561   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Merrimac
Chicago suburbs
“Smells like an ashtray in all the hallways”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

I had to cancel a reservation two weeks in advance and they kept 20% of the deposit...we will go to Cascade next time....I can see keeping a percentage if cancellation is a week or less....they are not worth it...I have heard much better things about Cascade.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Portland, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

My wife, two year old child, and myself stayed two nights in this hotel for a wedding. The location and grounds are nice, no complaints there. The hotel rooms themself are embarassingly bad. The worn out rooms and hallways stink and there is no water pressure in the showers. We received a discounted rate of $111 per night, which is way too much to pay for a room at this hotel. I can't imagine why anyone would pay even more to stay at this property.

I am guessing that this resort books a lot of group functions and markets its golf courses, ski hills, and banquet facilities instead of its lodgings. When planning an event, no one thinks to check the rooms.

I agree with a previous commentor, it is a slap in the face to see advertising in your hotel room for beautiful new condos while you are paying to stay in a dump. This place could be a great destination resort, but it is quite obvious the owners are unwilling to invest in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Merrimac hotels

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

I went with a group of people for a golf outing last year. The layout and scenery of the golf courses are beautiful, but the courses themselves need some work and upkeep.

A hotel room is a hotel room. I am there to sleep and watch a little tv. Overall it was decent and the pool and hot tub were fine. You cannot beat this place for the price. I definitely recommend it.

Oh yeah, and it's close to the Ho Chunk. I hit a slot for $2500 that weekend. So it was ALL good.

• Stayed August 2008
angsz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

It's a nightmare. Someone mentioned "a blast from the past" and I totally agree. We went there for only 2 days and that was enough. Dirty smelly and old, very old. Everything needs serious renovation. But the "best" is food. Paying for the premier room you also have dinner and lunch or breakfast included. haha it's an adventure. Dinner menu consists of 5 entrees, One good word to discribe: DISGUSTING!!!!
A good thing is that once you're outside you feel a little better.

• Liked — firepit outside, ski slopes
  • Disliked — accomodations, food, equipment, prices, service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

We checked in later in the evening after being at a wedding. When I drove the car around to where our room was it looked like a dorm. Then I walked in the building and the smell of stale smoke overwhelmed me. The halls were worse than dorm room halls. I walked into the room and it had been cleaned, but not very well and smelled. But I was so tired that I just needed a place to sleep. Then I had to go to the bathroom and went to flush the toilet and it was broken. So I had to take the lid off the toilet and reach my hand into the back and flush it. It was constantly running through out the night. It was too late to call the front desk. I didn't want some weird person in my room while I was sleeping so I decided I would wait until the morning and just let them know, thinking they would give me some sort of refund. I told the front desk and the supervisor was rude. So, all in all I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

Our group has been going to devils head for the past 11 years, which says something for the treatment we have received. the staff and management could not be more helpfull. the staff on the golf course are great, they go out of the way to make your day a complete enjoyment. the food is top shelf, they could improve the service time, however, due to the various golf groups all showing up to dine at the same time make it difficult. We plan on going next year with a larger group (100+).

• Liked — accessable, clean
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jeffk010
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

This place is so badly in need of an update. The rooms are so old and worn out with cylinder block walls. I know it is just a place to lay your head when you are done skiing but they have decent golf courses and are a short drive from a nice lake. This place could be really something but instead it's run down.

As far as the stay there were a few problems. First, good luck trying to find someone at the front desk. You will be left standing there for awhile. They couldn't have been to busy because this is there slow season.

The second problem would be the holes in the roof. There was a storm and there was water coming down in the lobby, and pool area. I thank god I wasn't on the second floor because I'm sure the rooms took on water also. The staff was nice enough to put buckets all over the place.

On the plus side the food in the restaurant is pretty good. I had the filet with garlic potatoes. The service there was excellent as were the cleaning people.. There just wasn't much they could do to make the rooms look good.

If they were in trouble or on the verge of tankng I could understand but they just spent millions on building new condos. Basically telling me they don't care about the guest that stay at the hotel. I would not go back.. I would have complained but I was afraid they would have offered me a free night. I couldn't bare to spend one more second in this place.

• Liked — The filet
  • Disliked — the run down smelly room and the water pouring in from leaky roof
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Devils Head Resort? Share your experiences!