“Run Down Resort Fun Skiing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Devils Head Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Merrimac
Devils Head Resort
You added Devils Head Resort to your Saves list
S6330 Bluff Road, Merrimac, WI 53561   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrimac
Normal, Illinois
“Run Down Resort Fun Skiing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We stayed in the condos. They are expensive $550 a night in good condition housekeeping needs to improve or they will look like rest of resort The skiing was great. The mountain is very easy to ski. Never a wait at the lifts. The place is just so run down FILTHY. Lifts need painted and every wall in place needs painted. The staff was friendly but not knowledgeable about any question we asked. There were no close food or entertainment. Granite Peak is better in every way except easier runs at Devils head. Hopefully resort will start cleaning and painting. We did have a fun time but might not return due to all the filth everywhere we looked outside and inside.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

This review pertains to the Devil's Head Resort Bar. On New Years Eve I was among a large group celebrating New Years Eve at Devil's Head Resort. Shortly after midnight myself and my girlfriend proceeded to the bar area to close out our tab. After waiting several minutes it appeared that none of the bartenders were able to assist us in closing out our tab. I understood the fact that it was busy so I was certainly fine with the delay. After several minutes my girlfriend politely asked a bartender if "we could please close out our tab." In response the bartender glared at us and shouted "WHAT DO YOU WANT!?" This rude behavior is unacceptable especially considering the fact that we did absolutely nothing to warrant such a response.

My second complaint has to do with your security at the bar. As we were getting ready to depart for the evening I encountered a gentleman sitting at the bar sprouting off profanities and shoving other patrons in the establishment. After witnessing this behavior I immediately jogged over to the security officer at the entrance and informed her that there was a drunk gentleman sitting at the bar picking fights with other patrons. I observed the security officer speak to the gentleman, but it appeared no effort was made to remove him from the bar. This is unfortunate considering the possibility of violence and safety of both employees and patrons. I would expect this type of atmosphere at a seedy rural saloon, but surely not at a high end resort. I guess I was wrong.

At any rate, due to the level of service and lack of security I regret that I will likely never return to this establishment. The behavior of your bartender was uncalled for considering that we did absolutely nothing to warrant such a rude response. As I had mentioned, we had a very large group and gave them very good business. I hope efforts are made to talk to this bartender and improve the security so that this doesn't happen again. In the meantime I would advise anyone against going to this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Merrimac hotels

Charleston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

The hotel connected with the ski resort is adequate but likely fits the bill as a two star hotel. The lofty price per night is worth since you can almost ski to you room. Nice family place that could use a face lift and deep scrub.

• Stayed December 2011
Algonquin, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

This year we are taking our kids back to Devils Head for skiing. We have made this trip the past three years and have been very happy with our experience. The staff is fantastic and the rooms are very basic. We consider this like other ski lodges we have visited - very rough/basic accommodations in a fantastic setting. The Lodge rooms are small & older but they really meet our needs being clean, functional and located right at the bottom of the slopes. If you need/want nicer accommodations, the Resort does have modern condos along the golf course. Great location for Midwest Skiing, Very Friendly Staff, Very Basic Dorm/Ski Lodge type rooms - All at a Great Value! Note, the indoor pool water is very cold..

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011 via mobile

This is a basic room with very few amenities. The tv was tiny with only network channels, the fridge did not work properly. The furnishings are poor. Those limitations aside, the rate was $60, the bathroom had been partially renovated, the room was spacious and clean. There is a lot of noise from the families and drinkers (the bar is popular). People stay here because they are skiing, and that's about the only good reason.

• Stayed December 2011
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I just had my wedding here and everything went off without a hitch! From the day we arrived the staff made us feel very comfortable. They were all very polite and helpful. When we received the list of our guests that were staying at the hotel, we asked if some of the rooms could be moved around and they were more than happy to accommodate all our requests. Of all those guests that I asked how their stay was that were there for the weekend, no one had any complaints. They all really liked the rooms and the pool and hot tub.
The wedding coordinator was there to help and made us feel comfortable every step of the way. The reception room was set up on time with the tables so that we could go in and put all the finishing touches on. The day of the ceremony went very smoothly. We had it outside in the back and it was just beautiful! The reception started on time and the food came out perfect. Everyone commented on how good the dinner was.
Thanks, Devils Head, for a very memorable wedding weekend!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011 via mobile

I just went here for a wedding... I was freaked out from the reviews I read which gave me very low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad...

I even brought febreeze and scented candles, my own towel and sheets, but didn't need them. People are overreacting in their reviews unless this place suddenly got better.... Ok, it's not the St Regis... But, it's ok for a night or two... And at $86 a night, what can you really expect??

I had a wonderful time!

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Devils Head Resort? Share your experiences!