“Great service and food!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, Hamburgers, Mexican, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Great service and food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was there recently with 33 relatives and friends and were seated just inside the outside dining area. We were greeted politely, seated quickly and were served in a timely fashion. All the servers were knowledgeable regarding the menu as well as cocktails. They would check with everyone after they got their food to make sure everything was ok (and it was). Overall it was a great experience and would not hesitate to go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chicago, IL
“Best Restaurant in Mequon Bar None!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have family in Mequon and have been a customer at Highland House whenever I am in town. This restaurant is super fun great atmosphere and great food! I love Cal/Mex food and that is what this restaurant excels at! They have the best outdoor space in all of Milwaukee. Summertime at it's best. The outdoor deck with Pergola, flowers, and fireplaces makes me feel like I am partying on the west coast. The chips are the best I've ever had. They have a "secret" chip salt that I wish I could by in a store. Don't know what was up with the bad review that preceded my visit but this place is amazing and has been constantly getting better in the four yeas I have been coming here. If you want the best Margarita in Milwaukee with chips, salsa, and guacamole....you won't find better north of the Mason Dixon line. Don't miss this fun dining experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mequon, Wisconsin
“It Just Keeps Getting Worse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Twenty-five years ago, I was a regular (two to three times per week) at the Highland House. The food was good, the decor was okay, and the service was generally good. As I have written previously, the food has gotten to the point of mediocrity. It is primarly stale, tasteless faux-Mexican. The Milwaukee area has many good Mexican restaurants. There is nothing about this food that would make one pick it over those.

However, I might be okay with the mediocre food if all else would be good. It is not.

The decor is old, worn and dated, but not in a comfortable way. Rather, it just looks like someone decided not to care for it, and it was hardly attractive to begin with.

It is loud. Really loud. I like Mexican or beach music, Those kinds of music can be festive. But you should not need to shout to be heard.

Couple the mediocre food, worn-out decor and overly loud music with terrible service, and this place has nothing going for it (other than modest prices). Put the Highland House in another community, and people would just say it is a dump. However, because it is in Mequon, competing with a lot of old folks restaurants, and some people think it is "fun." Haha

Last night was the final straw. Despite the fact that half of the indoor and outside tables were empty, the hostess told me that it would be a 10 to 20 minute wait. I was there with my minor daughter. I did not need them trying to push me to the bar. The last couple of times I was there, it took almost an hour to get my food after being seated.

I will not go back. Ever. My 25-year relationship with this place is over.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
fstemper, Manager at Highland House, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
On behalf of all of us here at The Highland House I would like to apologize for your negative experience. Unfortunately, as we open our deck for the summer we add a total of 30 more tables to our overall seating and this does require us to leave some tables vacant to allow our already very busy kitchen enough time to insure that we are sending out a quality product within a significant time frame. I assure you that we use our waiting lists (both inside and out) as tools to seat guests as efficiently as possible and not to try and push customers towards the bar. We would much rather have a table seated fast and efficiently rather than make anyone wait, however, this is not always possible.

While we hate to lose you as a customer after 25 years we wish you luck and hope you will consider giving us another chance in the near future and please remember you may always call ahead for a reservation to minimize your wait time.
Franklin, WI
“Each time it's wonderful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Highland House takes you to Florida with such a delightful interior and great patio seating. Each time I am there, the food is delicious. The waiters come with huge smiles and respect. The location, near the movie theatre is the best!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Franklin, Wisconsin
“Delicious lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Special lunch with co-worker. She had shrimp avocado BLT with sour cream & chive fries; I had combo mahi mahi/shrimp tacos with beans and rice. Wonderful atmosphere, great prices, really enjoyable

Visited May 2013