“Semi - Quality Inn & Suites” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

You added Quality Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1721 Plaza Dr, Menomonie, WI 54751 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Menomonie
Hamilton Ontario
“Semi - Quality Inn & Suites”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed 2 days when visiting friends.

I'll start with what was good. Check in. It was pretty easy. I was greeted with a smile and the rules were explained. I was warned particularly about not smoking in the room. (which we don't do anyway). I found that a bit odd given I requested a non smoking room.

We were told to access our room around the back of the building. That was where we started wondering. We assumed there was a renovation going on with a huge dumpster in the parking lot. This may have been because everything seemed to be dirty and the paint was chipped, patched outside and given the appearance of work in progress. To enhance our experience filthy bird crap covered walls and sidewalks from hundreds of nesting barn swallows around the perimeter's roofline. Nothing says welcome like dodging birds and their crap when trying to unload your luggage to enter a building.

We should have left then.

Upon arrival to our "newly" renovated jacuzzi suite, and even leading to it were many odd stale odors. The room itself had what looked like newer carpet, yet it retained the smell smoke from seemed like decades ago.

Furniture is crammed awkwardly into the tiny space and there are many signs that it should be chopped up for firewood. Some walls have been patched and repaired but not re-painted. Bathroom had a hole in the side of the tub, along with chipped and cracked floor tiles, broken baseboard and a shower rod held by one screw on either end. It will probably fall off shortly. Tried to ignore the dark ring under the inside of the toilet. Did not and wouldn't use the jacuzzi - I cannot imagine what might be hiding in the residual "jet" water. The bed was ok from a mattress standpoint, however we picked several black hairs off the sheets before trying to get some rest. Sheets came off the bottom right of the bed because they were worn out. The cooling or AC groaned and cycled all night doing its best to cool. Thankfully it wasn't hot outside because I don't think it would have kept up all night.

The vanity over the sink was nicely accented with a burnt out bulb, which seemed to help take the focus away from the chipped counter top. Even on day 2, the bulb had not been replaced. I'll even add, one of the washcloth's left near the safe in the entry closet wasn't picked up. There was a soap bar (from the previous guest) on the top left of the shower - it was never noticed (odd, you'd think they'd want to get the shower rod fixed) and would have noticed it.

Breakfast was in a stuffy room on the first floor. It was ok. We had a waffle and hard boiled egg. The coffee was hot, and the staff did a good job cleaning up the area.

The entire Choice Hotel chain should be ashamed of property's in this state. Take your business to a more reputable brand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The parking lot alone must scare people away. Hundreds of barn swallows swooping at you when you are outside. There was coffee (cold and old tasting) in the lobby. There is a damaged room upstairs with a sheet used as a door. I was told this room has been like this for years. Our room smelled weird. I don't believe the carpet had ever been shampooed. The pillow cases looked old. I pulled back the pillow cases and saw our pillows were very stained. There were no pool towels at the pool. The next morning I discovered what appeared to be bug bites on my legs. When I went to check out and complain, there wasn't anyone at the front desk. I went to my car to leave and saw the birds covered the car in bird poop. Luckily, there was a car wash close by. I would not recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed May 2013
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Where to start, room was clean but bed was too small for wife and I. I am 6" 2 225# they where only doubles in size. When checking in they notified me any damage would be charged to my card. So wouldn't you know as soon as we entered our room the dresser had a trim piece hanging down and they tried to hold it up with tape. Call the front desk to let them know, why didn't they just fix it before you would make it available? Lots of people staying there the weekend we where there, so at the free breakfest it was crowded and when they refilled the egg tray I took a healthy portion. They where ice cold!! the other stuff was ok. Needdless to say we ate else where. You might want to go somewhere else unless you like cheap rooms. I will be looking to stay at a different place next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Me and my friend spent the night here because we were looking for morel mushrooms and planned to bike the Red Cedar Trail. The price was certainly right ($69/night). This hotel is located just east of downtown Menomonie, right off I-94.

The room was just fine. The linens and towels and such were exceptionally clean, and the bed and pillows were comfy... I'm a fussy sleeper. The shower was great with excellent water pressure and moderate temperature (seems like a small thing, but I've had terrible showers in much more expensive hotels). Being mushroom hunters, we really NEEDED a good, tick-removing shower after being out in the woods all day!

The breakfast buffet was okay. I guess it's pretty comparable to most hotels of this price range. The milk and orange juice were cold and the stuff that was supposed to be warm, was.

This hotel has a nice pool and the employees that we dealt with were very nice.

This is a good place to stop if you're on a travel budget and need to stay in western Wisconsin. Since it's right off the interstate, it's close to lots of things in all directions and there are a lot of things to do in this area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This spot is making the effort, and although it is a solid "OK" for the most part, there are a few weaknesses needing attention. First, on the plus side, the beds and linens were great - comfortable and fresh. The staff was very helpful and attentive to our questions and needs. The room was also nice and clean overall. On the downside, the faucets leaked ... not gushing, but a steady drip from both the sink and the shower. It didn't keep us awake at night, but it made for a pretty drab ambience. The worst was the free breakfast. It was advertised as the "Deluxe Breakfast," but this was like the Great Gatsby after the fall. The choices were poorly replenished. When we came down the only items available were biscuits and gravy and a few lonely muffins. When the harried provision gal did replenish the choices, the scrambled eggs were still cold on the inside. The breakfast was a bummer. But ... the room was only $79 so it was a wash.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Rooms and Bath were very clean condition.Staff was friendly...Breakfast buffet was terrible - warm juice, old muffins and bad waffles - long wait for eggs and coffee.....apparently understaffed or not experienced in even simple food service. Good place to sleep but plan on breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Marion, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at the hotel on Saturday, January 19th, It's nothing fancy but very nice. Beds were comfortable, and it was super quiet. Good value for the money. We stayed here on a trip to the Mall of America, and didn't really want to stay in the city. I have booked this hotel again for December 2013 for a graduation at UW Stout that we will be attending.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!