“A welcome retreat for a roadwarrior” 5 of 5 stars

The Audubon Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 North Main Street, Mayville, WI 53050   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mayville
Atlanta
“A welcome retreat for a roadwarrior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I had the pleasure of staying at the inn for the past few nights and my only negatives are (1) the front desk isn't open 24 hours, although there is always someone available--I can understand this, but I'd prefer a staffed desk; (2) for the location, the price was a bit high--but they negotiated a bit; (3) the female bartender seemed a bit "fake" in her attitude--maybe that's just me.

I had a regular room on the second floor, it was pleasant and clean. It's decor wasn't modern, but it had internet access and everything else I've come to need.

The food in the restaurant was fantastic--definitely a step above what else is available around Mayville.

The manager and front desk clerk even helped me out with some paperwork for my presentation--what I had brought had some water spilled on it on the way in and they were able to retype and print it for me in time for my appointment with John Deere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

I have been staying at this lovely old inn/hotel as a guest for nearly 20 years but my weekend here from Friday 8th until Monday 11th May was far from the same under the new owners. Getting served with food on arrival on Friday evening was a rush as there was "an issue in the kitchen" which turned out to be they wanted to go home asap.
Upon checking in I was asked to pay the cost of the 3 days which had already been paid.
The young lady on reception was new and knew nothing whatsoever about matters.
Saturday morning i received a number of telephone calls all of which did not reach me because staff could not be bothered to look where I was in the lobby.
Breakfast on each day was poor almost miniscual described as continental but was poor in content.
The room was excellent as always from previous in terms of size but was not made up on the Sunday also no food available or drinks on Sunday evenings.
Had to ask for shampoo and extra towels on the Saturday evening as well.
I was very disappointed as this is one of or was one of my favourites.
Sorry Audubon people you will have to try a lot harder for this world traveller.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

A cold wet day of birding in nearby Horicon Natl. Wildlife Refuge brought us to the Inn as walk-ins on a busy Saturday (Mother's Day weekend). Manager seemed "avoidant" and not very welcoming, but the young woman on the desk was obliging and showed us the two open rooms. Room quality was great, the whirlpool cure just what we needed, and the town is a gem, but there were small slip-ups (missing bath towels, sticky in-room coffee mug, indifferent Quik-Trip breakfast tray) that left us wondering if we hadn't just picked a bad weekend? This is a pleasantly updated historic small town hotel, though not a great value (even at a moderate walk-in rate reduction)...breakfast tray (the only Sunday option) best left unmentioned as an amenity. Perhaps understaffed or more focused on its flagship local restaurant ( no menu was posted and we are vegetarian, so less than optimistic in rural Wisconsin, but it looks well run and charming)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Lovely, spacious accommodations with a beautiful bar and excellent restaurant open for dinner. Close to the Horicon marsh for wildlife viewing, bicycling, and walking. Staff are attentive, but stretched to accomplish all.

• Liked — beautiful period restoration
  • Disliked — spa tub did not work
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

My husband and I decided to getaway for a week-end to just go and relax. i decided to go to the Audubon as we had been there for supper one night and the owner had gladly given us a tour of the hotel. It was beautiful and peaceful. So I made reservations to go for the week-end. We greeted by staff that were truly interested in making our stay a memorable one. We went to our room to relax on the queen size poster bed. I felt like I was a princess. The pub opened up at 5 so we went to have a drink before supper. Again, the staff was right there provide us with whatever we needed. After our drinks we were led into the dining room. The stained glass in the dining room and pub are gorgeous. Our food was fantastic. Everything about the meal was great. Our service and the food both. The soup was great I was told that the chef prepares it daily herself and our main courses were prepared perfectly. When we returned to our room we relaxed in our double whirlpool tub. It was wonderful. The breakfast the next morning was good too. I understand that the owners had just recently bought the place I wish them well and I will tell others about your establishment.

Stayed July 2008
de pere wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

My wife and I have stayed here many times. This is a fantastic inn. From the moment you walk in, to the quaint little town of mayville it is very relaxing. We love the large whirpool tub to the wonderful decor. You have to experience the whole atmosphere of The Audobon Inn

• Liked — the whirpool tub
  • Disliked — street parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

Home away from home. everyone car about you from owner to houskeeping, wait staff and chef. we did have a great time will be back again soon.

Stayed May 2007

Been to The Audubon Inn? Share your experiences!