“Great way to get closer to nature” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: The North Lakeland Discovery Center is your connection to the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Nestled on 63-acres within the NH-AL State Forest the Discovery Center offers countless opportunities to explore the Northwoods. With our twelve miles of hiking, biking, groomed skiing, and snowshoe trails you can wander through large pine and maple forests, see bogs and lakes and even get stunning views of the beautiful Manitowish River.We have a Nature Nook where your entire family can touch, feel and experience many of the amazing resources of the area. Other drop-in activities include kayaking, canoeing and fishing on pristine Statehouse Lake. And with naturalists on staff, our programs offer learning adventures for adults, family and children. Visit our website for more details!
Kenosha, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“Great way to get closer to nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Facilities and grounds were gorgeous. Looks like everything had had been recently redone. Loved the hiking. Lots of interesting programs going on. Can't wait to check them all out!

Visited May 2012

Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
“Naturally insi=oiring and enriching lives through the meaningful connections with nature, people and the community.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I served on the DC board for 3 years and continue to volunteer whenever needed. We hike the trails in spring and fall and ski and snowshoe in the winter. Go on line for their schedule of programs and other info,
I hiked there yesterday with my dog. (leashed only)

Visited May 2012
West Dundee, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
“Peaceful, interesting, informative.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

There was a wedding on the lake with a reception. What a lovely place to marry. We took the boardwalk and it was long that we had anticipated. Guess I red map wrong. Just love it

Visited August 2011
Harshaw, Wisconsin
52 attraction reviews
“North Woods Nature at its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Wonderful trails, wonderful events and informed staff - this is a great venue for family events in the outdoors in all four seasons.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“North Lakeland Discovery Center IS THE best way to enjoy the Northwoods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

My wife and I traveled to the North Lakeland Discovery Center as part of a business trip to learn more about this wonderful facility (I am curator of an internationally acclaimed nature center near Chicago). We met to share new ideas but this was also a great way for my wife and I to enjoy a little weekend getaway....it was one of the greatest weekends we have had in our 20 year marriage. This was our first trip to the Northwoods and all I can say is WOW!! We knew right away we would be in for a treat. The staff were extremely accommodating and the many visitors that day all had smiles from ear to ear. It's a place where you can get away from it all but still enjoy modern day ammenities too. We stayed in the "Director's House" which was an incredible surpise - we highly recommend anyone staying more than a few days to rent this home out. It overlooks a beautiful lake and is surrounding by white pine...it's an outdoorperson's dream vacation. Sarah gave us the red carpet treatment and we greatly enjoyed snow shoeing on the lake. Later that evening my wife and I took the snow shoes our for a midnight nature hike and I was able to call in a couple of Northern Barred Owls. Wildlife is plentiful but the scenery is absolutely magical. The facilities are well maintained, provide a nice intimate feel and the interpretive center is packed with many kid friendly stations where they can touch bio-artifacts....us adults enjoyed it too! The programs are varied and there's something for everyone. We have already booked a follow up weekend for our daughter's graduation and this area is now our favorite place to visit. 5 starts isn't enough....we give it 10!!!

Visited January 2012