“Incredible service, fantastic views, spectacular rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Punta Islita
Newburgh, Ontario
“Incredible service, fantastic views, spectacular rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

As an industry professional I have the opportunity to visit and stay in some pretty incredible places. It took me about 15 seconds to completely fall in love with Punta Islita - and here's why:
-from the moment you arrive you feel special - we were welcomed with cool towels at our car and assisted to the "check-in area" if you can even call it that. We were encouraged to take a seat in the al fresco lounge area while our personal concierge Marvin handled the check-in procedure for us. So instead of standing at a counter, we were sipping margaritas while we enjoyed the views of the pacific ocean - amazing right?

It only got better from there. We stayed in Suites 22 and 23 - which Marvin assured us had the best views on the property (and after completely a full site inspection I can attest to this!) Everything was smooth and seamless - we felt completely taken care of and totally relaxed - and for a business trip that is really saying something!

Highlights -

The Food - breakfast is awesome, tons to choose from and its included in your stay. Each of our meals were amazing - from the main restaurant to El Barranco beach house - all was just divine. Might I suggest "mixin it with Miguel" should you find yourself a free hour in the afternoon - the "honeymoon" martini Is delish!

CasaSpa is an absolute must - and I might recommened, especially if this is your first time to Costa Rica the Coffee Scrub & Wrap - Lizeth you've got magic hands! Once your treatment is complete you'll enjoy the most spectacular outdoor shower! there's even a couples room complete with Jacuzzi - you cannot get more romantic. I was listening to the tropical rain falling down into the jungle while my treatment took place as one of the room's side was a full size patio door that lets the breeze and jungle sounds in....words cannot describe how amazing it was!

The Service - Marvin and all the team at Punta Islita make it their daily goal to make you, the guest, feel special and welcome - they are there to attend to all of your needs and really allow you to feel the "pura vida" that the Nicoya Peninsula, and Costa Rica, are all about!

The views - well you've seen the infinity pool oceanview so let me tell you there's no photo shopping there...its just THAT GOOD!

If you've done your research you know this property isn't "beachfront" I wouldn't consider this a drawback but some people will - so make sure you're clear on what you want from your trip to Islita. The beach is lovely and it takes about 3 minutes by shuttle or golfcart - it would be a leisurely walk down (maybe 10 minutes) but a little longer on the way back because it's all uphill. There are plenty of beach chairs, a pool, change areas/washroom and a restaurant. You can ride horses on the beach, boogie board and surf. There is a rip tide that is clearly marked so you'll know how far out to go.

I didn't get the chance to bring my husband/son on this trip, as I said it was business - however would I return with them? 100% I saw lots of families here and it is a great option for the family traveller and honeymooner alike - I think Punta Islita is a property that can fit all types of travellers.

If you're there during August-September you'll be lucky enough to witness sea turtles laying their eggs at night - it was a true lifetime moment for me.

I could go on and on but I know you get the picture! please feel free to contact me if you want any more specific details about the property - but I give it an A+

Thank you to everyone at Punta Islita for your hospitality - I cannot wait to come back!

Brandi Merchant

Room Tip: Suites 22, 23 have the absolute best views of the ocean - they are the best value for money! (for co...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Gracias! As a luxury travel industry professional, your impressions and assessment of our facilities, setting, and service are particularly insightful. Thank you so much for providing such valuable guidance to our potential guests. Thanks for acknowledging our staff's commitment to making the Hotel Punta Islita experience as wonderful as you describe. I must take a moment to enthusiastically agree with you about the view. Nothing prepares you for that amazing WOW moment when you first gaze upon the Islita ocean cove, as framed by our infinity pool. :) Saludos!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

By the second day most of the staff knew our names. Everyone on the staff was kind and helpful and no details were overlooked. Speaking of overlooking. There is a great view of the ocean from the pool which in itself is worth the trip. Thanks to Isel for taking care of us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thanks Tim! Thanks for your enthusiastic appreciation of our staff's attentiveness and heartfelt friendship. It was a pleasure to be your hosts! And thanks for highlighting the amazing view from our infinity pool. Did you know that it was featured in Trip Advisor's Top Ten Swim-Up Bars in the world? Now you know why! Warmest regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I would have to say that the Hotel Punta Islita is at the top of my list for best places to have stayed. The views are breathtaking but its the staff that really makes this place special. From the moment you arrive until the time you leave they go out of their way to assure that you have a fantastic time. Hector and Luis were exceptional as were Miguel and Antonio in the dining room and at the pool bars. The infinity pool overlooking the pacific is beautiful and the beach is a must do even though its a little rocky. Only down side is that the restaurant is a bit pricey and there's few options nearby. The Room service was a good alternate to a formal dinner as was the local restaurant in Islita. Despite the heat the golf was fun on the executive course - the cold towels at the turn and finish we're a nice touch. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong. Every room has an amazing view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gracias Chris! Thank you for selecting Hotel Punta Islita as your home-away-from-home in Costa Rica. I will happily relay your kudos to the many staff members you singled out. Their enthusiasm and friendship is extraordinary. I would love learn more about your experience and potential suggestions for our dining options. Please feel free to contact me at any time: outreach@grupoislita.com We certainly hope to see you and your family again very soon.
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I mean. Ticos are great people and friendly already but this resort's employees bend over backward to be helpful and gracious. The food was very good, the infinity pool beautiful, the rooms and little garden patios with their own pool fabulous. The only proviso is that the beach is so so being rocky, but that in itself was pretty cool as we were able to check out the tidal pools and explore a bit.

One final note--the highlight of the trip in a way was seeing the Scarlet Macaws from the Ara Project fly around wild from our private garden patio. Hotel Punta Islita helps sponsor this project and I would like to thank them for that. It is certainly worthwhile for your hotel as well as seeing a flock of these birds every day was in itself worth the price of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pura vida Jeff! As a tica, I am sincerely thankful for noting my country's friendship mantra! We are especially grateful for your acknowledgement of our partnership with The Ara Project to host a Scarlet Macaw recovery center. I wholeheartedly agree with you... seeing these amazing birds adding playful color to Islita's skies stays with you forever. Saludos!
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This may have been the best, or second best, place I have ever stayed. Let's see. The price was great; we stayed in the Colibri villa - 3 bedroom, 3 full bathrooms, a great common area and modern kitchen, and covered patio....wait for it...and, an infinity pool overlooking the bay. There was no reason to leave (there was also a separate house next to the villa for a fourth bedroom if one was inclined). Horseback riding, ziplining, a beach/pool, and a main pool. Breakfast was free and the burrito was ridiculous! Dinner was typical price and typical food, but good. Drinks were a little more expensive then one would want. But, you can get groceries before you get there or some very basic stuff in the tiny little village adjacent to the property (I suggest getting the golf cart...its fun). Also, they have a 9-hole golf course, morning walks, monkey hikes, and tons of other stuff.

The only caution is the "fishing" trip which really consists of you going on the water in a boat for 5 or 8 hours watching other people fish. It is not worth the price (which is insane) and if anyone gets sea sick or motion sick, it will kill you.

Besides that, best place. Better than Arenal's Hot Springs and Spa resort.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Warmest greetings Floyd! Costa Rica is truly magical and I sincerely thank you for selecting it as your adventure destination :) Making a savvy traveler's top best places list is a true honor! Thanks for your enthusiasm and for taking the time to share your impressions with fellow travelers. I would love to learn more about your fishing expedition. This adventure is managed by a third party and I would really appreciate further feedback to help them improve the experience. My email is: outreach@grupoislita.com Kindest regards to you and your friends!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We spent 4 days in arenal at tabacon and then traveled to punta islita for the remainder of a 10 day trip. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed this place, simple, serene, and the friendliest people we have ever met. The hotel is well off the beaten path but each seperate cottage is perched on a cliff over looking the ocean. The restaraunt is situated the same with the bar and infinity pool flowing off into the sunset. Everything here was amazing from the food, the quality of the lodging, the beach, the people, the prices, all of it. I would go back in a heartbeat to see the friends we made while we were here. Not a single, not one, complaint. Food and beverage prices were average to even low for a resort like this and everyone was there to make sure we had a great time. We watched a thunderstorm from our room in the wee hours of the morning in the dark and it was the scariest, and most romantic moment ever. We watched monkeys in the mango groves and children play soccor in the quanit neighborhood nearby. I can't reccomend this place enough, it's incredible and for the cost it will blow you away!

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage 8 and had a personal jacuzzi as well as a hammock. Any lodging at this resort w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Saludos John and warm greetings from Costa Rica! Wowing our guests from arrival to departure is our heartfelt goal and I am delighted to learn that we fully succeeded. Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience. Hotel Punta Islita's setting, overlooking the secluded cove with a full sight of the open ocean horizon allows for spectacular natural fireworks. I have had the privilege to enjoy a thunderstorm spectacle and it is truly awe inspiring. Glad you fully enjoyed the show! Please do return very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

This was one of our three Costa Rican stops on our honeymoon and it was magical. Each casita is perfectly private and the breakfast is delicious. The staff is incredibly friendly. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2012
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thanks Emily! Your review means a lot too us. It was a true pleasure to have a chance to be your hosts during your special vacation. Thank you so much for choosing Costa Rica, the land of Pura Vida!

Been to Hotel Punta Islita? Share your experiences!