“Honeymoon in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Punta Islita
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Honeymoon in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We spent 4 days in arenal at tabacon and then traveled to punta islita for the remainder of a 10 day trip. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed this place, simple, serene, and the friendliest people we have ever met. The hotel is well off the beaten path but each seperate cottage is perched on a cliff over looking the ocean. The restaraunt is situated the same with the bar and infinity pool flowing off into the sunset. Everything here was amazing from the food, the quality of the lodging, the beach, the people, the prices, all of it. I would go back in a heartbeat to see the friends we made while we were here. Not a single, not one, complaint. Food and beverage prices were average to even low for a resort like this and everyone was there to make sure we had a great time. We watched a thunderstorm from our room in the wee hours of the morning in the dark and it was the scariest, and most romantic moment ever. We watched monkeys in the mango groves and children play soccor in the quanit neighborhood nearby. I can't reccomend this place enough, it's incredible and for the cost it will blow you away!

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage 8 and had a personal jacuzzi as well as a hammock. Any lodging at this resort w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Saludos John and warm greetings from Costa Rica! Wowing our guests from arrival to departure is our heartfelt goal and I am delighted to learn that we fully succeeded. Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience. Hotel Punta Islita's setting, overlooking the secluded cove with a full sight of the open ocean horizon allows for spectacular natural fireworks. I have had the privilege to enjoy a thunderstorm spectacle and it is truly awe inspiring. Glad you fully enjoyed the show! Please do return very soon.

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

This was one of our three Costa Rican stops on our honeymoon and it was magical. Each casita is perfectly private and the breakfast is delicious. The staff is incredibly friendly. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2012
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thanks Emily! Your review means a lot too us. It was a true pleasure to have a chance to be your hosts during your special vacation. Thank you so much for choosing Costa Rica, the land of Pura Vida!
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place is just heart stoppingly gorgeous!!! I just stay here for two nights with my girl friend for a Kind of Hooneymoon :) ...The Welcome was very nice, the cold towel, whatever you wanna drink as a welcome drink, what a gesture! The Room was incredible, the jacuzzi right out of our door, what a detail !!
The cleanness of our room, the decoration, all the amenities are just great!!!
Then the restaurant, breakfast, sanacks and Dinner are just delicious!!
Special thanks to Marvin, Isel at the front desk, also to Arturo a specialist making cappuccinos , the best ever!...Luis Diego and Vinicio all nice guys!!
The staff really know what customer service is!!
I definitely will be back and Highly Recomend it!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Muchas gracias for taking the time to share your experience with the global travel community! Your enthusiastic kudos to Isel, Marvin, Luis Diego, and Vinicio are much appreciated. They are quite remarkable as hosts. Warmest regards and many happy returns!
Kernersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I have been to Mexico a lot (Cancun/Riviera Maya area & Los Cabos) and we always stay at the all-inclusive resorts there. We've always enjoyed our trips there, but this year we were looking for something a little different-- something a little more peaceful & quiet. So this year we decided we would finally go to Costa Rica. We looked around at different resorts & hotels here on TripAdvisor and decided we didn't want to go with an all-inclusive, large resort this time and Hotel Punta Islita had so many positive reviews so we decided on it. And I'm so glad that we did! All of the positive reviews are there for a reason! My husband called the hotel with some questions during the process of booking our stay, and right away, the staff was so helpful & informative. We stayed in one of the casitas [it has a garden terrace & private plunge pool] and it was gorgeous! We really enjoyed having our own plunge pool and the view was just beautiful. There were a couple of days where we stayed in the backyard of our room all day, just hanging out in the plunge pool and reading books in our hammock & on the terrace. It was just the kind of vacation we had been wanting. Most of our days were spent in similar relaxing fashion, but instead of just hanging out at our private pool, we would go to the pool by the main restaurant after breakfast and stay there for a couple of hours before walking down to the beach in the afternoon. Our first full day there, we decided to explore the beach, so we took a walk onto the rocky point that juts out into the ocean. It was an arduous little journey, especially in flip-flops, but it was so much fun! There were crabs and sea urchins by the dozens and a shallow cave and the ocean was crashing against the rocks-- absolutely breathtaking! After beach-time, most days we would head to the Borrancho Beach Club for lunch, but one day they just brought us lunch right at the beach. We sat at one of the tables under the trees that border the beach and had delicious pizza (Hawaiian & Supreme) and drank out of coconuts :-). At night, we would head back up to the main restaurant (1492) for dinner. I would say that the food at Punta Islita is well above average compared to most of the food that I've had at other resorts and hotels. We liked the fact that the ingredients were local and fresh. Aside from the food, the servers always went out of their way to create a perfect dining experience. They were always so attentive at every meal and always treated us like we were special. Really the staff at Punta Islita is a huge part of what made our whole trip here special: from Marvin, who helped us with check-in and then checked on us almost every day to make sure we had everything we needed and that we were having a great time, to the restaurant staff (Vinicio, Eduardo, Edgar, Randy, Miguel and Jose Diego) who always called us by name and treated us like we were part of their family, to just the staff that we would pass on the road or on the pathways who always said hello and gave a friendly smile.
Punta Islita was a more expensive trip for us than our trips to Mexico and Jamaica. Getting there is more expensive not only because of the flight, but because you also have to pay for transportation from the airport in Liberia to the hotel which is about a 2.5 hour drive. The excursions are pretty expensive too. It was going to be $1200 US if we wanted to go fishing for a day. We did decide to do the Monkey Quest tour, but it was only $49 US per person. It lasted for about 2.5 hours and we got to see three different groups of howler monkeys and it was also a great way to see some more of the countryside and the farms and villages. The meals were also fairly expensive. Breakfast is free though (aside from a tip for the servers, which is well-deserved!), and they do offer a meal plan that you can purchase when you book your stay or even after you get there if you feel that it would be more economical. We decided not to do the meal plan and we probably spent more on meals than one would have to. We always got appetizers and desserts and I usually had wine at dinner. And we usually got mixed drinks while sitting by the pool, which added to our expense, but you have to get someone to make you a watermelon mojito at least once while you're there. They are sooo delicious and refreshing and are currently my very favorite drink!
There are some things that I think would bother some people. You probably will get bugs in your room. There are these little 1-inch long caterpillars or centipedes that are all over the place and were constantly in our room. There were a couple of very small spiders, a gecko and a small scorpion that got into our room also at various times during the week. But you have to expect this to some degree any time you stay in a tropical place. It's inevitable and even though pesky at times, the wildlife here is part of the magic. On our walks around the property we saw a golden orb spider, geckos, iguanas, a praying mantis, large frogs, a vine snake and once an armadillo came out to visit the restaurant while we were having dinner. And speaking of walks, the stairs are endless! Just walking to dinner or the beach is a pretty good workout especially with the high temperatures and humidity. However, the hotel does offer free transportation to and from the beach and within the grounds if needed. Also, this is a very quiet, tranquil resort so you won't find an activity director at the pool or raucous drinking games going on at all hours at the pool and beach and given the secluded location, there is no nightlife to speak of, but that's not what we wanted this time anyway, so that was fine with us. It also seems to be a good place for families, so if you're there for strictly couple-time, you might be bothered by the presence of children. It didn't really bother us because the hotel wasn't very crowded so there were only 2 or 3 families with children in the first place and most of the time those families were down at the beach and at the pool that is by the beach. The pool that we went to each day is the one by the 1492 restaurant and it is for ages 16+. And if all else failed, we had our private plunge pool to retreat to.
For us, this trip was perfect and I'm so glad we picked Hotel Punta Islita for our stay. I highly recommend it and would love to go back!

Room Tip: We loved the casita for its privacy (although there is a window that looked into our bathroom from t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Our heartfelt thanks for your thorough and thoughtful review. As experienced travelers, your input and comments are quite valuable! I am delighted to learn that you found about us through Trip Advisor and that the experiences shared by our former guests helped you make your decision. Costa Rica is an amazing travel destination and it is especially enjoyable if you are able to fully immerse in its happy mantra. Nature is intense, friendships are meaningful. We are quite proud to be able to showcase both. Thanks so much for your wonderful description of your stay. We always hope to provide our guests with a Perfect Paradise. Saludos!
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited in April. We agree with all of the fine comments set forth by other guests on food, accomodations, views and activities. There is much to do and little to do here, as you like it. Just sitting in the casita's plunge pool and watching the Pacific vista after breakfast for the week helped us reboot from a busy work schedule and shake off the northern winter chill. Fantastic. As mentioned, it's a bit of travel by jet and car to arrive but well worth the effort if you seek solitude and that slice of natural and scantly developed Costa Rica raved about in travel blogs and guide books.

I applaude the GM for the intensive focus and training of staff in top notch customer service, which encourages employees to be part of the solution by contributing ideas on providing an exceptional experience. I also appreciated the time he took to discuss this with me as I attempt to travel this path in providing an exceptional patient experience in health care.

Things to do when not supine: Deep sea fishing, take a surf lesson, make a day trip to Samara and enjoy the beaches along the way, walk to the Village of Punta Islita and visit the artists' coop, golf, play tennis (early morning or at night), hike to a Pacific sunset vista, or stop in for a deep tissue massage. After fretting on how to extend your stay at Punta Islita sidle up to the bar at happy hour to request Andrea pull out the muddler and fix you a mojito.

We will be back.

Note that we found the casita clean, well air conditioned and comfortable for relaxation and work, should that be necessary.

Room Tip: The best views of the beach that also take in the sea breeze are in the casitas below the infinity p...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Costa Rica and Hotel Punta Islita! Your fantastic experience signals that we fully succeeded in providing a stimulating, fun, and perfect getaway to enjoy relaxation, adventure, and the most attentive customer service.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

.. Wow I am sitting at my desk watching my own video of my stay at the Hotel Punta Islita. It makes me want to board a plane Immediately to go right back. Yes it did take some time to get to Punta Islita, however the ride was well worth it. I totally enjoyed seeing as much as Costa Rica that I could. We started in San Jose over a period of 8 days, with our trip ending in Guanacaste for 2 nights staying here. It was way more than I ever expected, and I lucked out on being assigned to Suite #23. Each room, regardless of size offers complete privacy. There were no rooms side by side like in any typical hotel. I had no clue what I was in for. The second that I opened my door to my suite, I knew that I was in paradise when I opened my "yard door" that lead me to my front door of this suite. I immediately feel in love, king side DRAPED bed, flat screen television, large bathroom with a step in shower (think of stepping into a bathtub), a full kitchette area that offered snacks, liquor, and coffee maker. The mini frig offered everything from water, to juices, and of course local beer.. There is a price list right there for your review, and surprising the costs were not bad at all ($3.00 for beer) I had a full living room with sofa that lead me to my patio that offered a hammock, and Jacuzzi pool. Beyond the Jacuzzi I also had a full yard, reminding me of my own back yard at home, and 2 lounge chairs over looking the greenery, and ocean waters of Costa Rica. I truly felt as if I were in heaven. Beyond in the forest I could hear the cries of the monkeys, and singing of the birds. True Paradise. The Staff were very accommodating with all of my needs. We spent time at the pool bar with 360 angle views of both the forest and the ocean located down below. If we wanted to go down to the beach, all we had to do was to ask and a staff member would immediately give us a ride to another section of the property where there was another outdoor restaurant where lunch is served, and another pool and pool bar located oceanfront. The views were to die for. Another thing that I loved about this luxury hotel, everything was right there for us. If we wanted to go horseback riding, boom it;s right there, Zip lining boom right there. River Kayaking and surfing is also available. If you are planning a extended family vacation, there are 2-4 bedroom FULL villas available. definitely set up as a home away from home. Full kitchens, private pools and whirlpools, and multiple bathrooms. There is also a small town on site that houses a market place, art gallery and Costa Rican museum. I plan on going back as often as I can and would recommend Hotel Punta Islita to anyone the listens

Room Tip: Any room location would be a gem right!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
You will always be welcome and we look forward to many magical returns. Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience at Hotel Punta Islita and for the wonderful recommendations you shared with future travelers. Warmest regards and Pura Vida!
Pinole, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Punta Islita is a wonderful spot for a family vacation. The resort is a little remote, but absolutely worth it once you arrive after a long drive from Liberia. Welcoming and incredibly friendly staff. Beautiful setting and lovely accommodations, great food, and lots to do for an active family including grandchildren aged 11, 9 and 5. We stayed in a beautiful 3-bedroom villa complete with its own small pool and golf cart to roam the resort. The beach is not a white sand beach, but perfect for swimming and surfing. Activities include zip lining (a must!), surfing lessons, monkey and dolphin watching excursions, bird watching and much more. Two pools and a lovely spa. Amazing breakfasts. Excellent food with ots of fresh fruit and wonderful ceviche. Our concierge, Hector, went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect, and the entire staff was fantastic! Five stars!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you so much for choosing Costa Rica and Hotel Punta Islita as your family vacation getaway. I am so happy to learn that you fully enjoyed your stay. We are truly blessed by outstanding surroundings that highlight authentic non-crowded Costa Rica, including its signature eco-adventures. Because it is a secluded area, we fully recommend at least a 4 night stay. Please receive warm regards from all of our staff!

Been to Hotel Punta Islita? Share your experiences!