“Beautiful, memorable vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Punta Islita
Ellicott City,USA/Epsom, Surrey
“Beautiful, memorable vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked the Punta islita/El Silencio combo trip for my husband's birthday, but we loved Punta Islita so much we asked to stay! The location is stunning. I had been to Costa Rica before but it was my Scottish husband's first trip. We were wowed immediately by the beautiful lounge area adjacent to the pool bar, infinity pool and dining room, all of which overlook the ocean. Our room (unit 11) had a fantastic view of the ocean and a wonderful private, outdoor hot tub that we used at least twice a day. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff were very attentive the entire 6 nights of our stay, and if we had any issues they were immediately remedied and staff went out of the way to make amends--an example, the dinner table we reserved for my husband's birthday dinner was given away before we arrived; there was a lovely bowl of fresh fruit in our room an a letter of apology waiting for us. The staff were very concerned about how such a mistake could have happened. Dinner service was slow one night, and the waiter brought a selection of desserts on a tray for us to make up for it. We took advantage of the activities, and went horseback riding one day (another first for the husband) and it was a great ride--a real ride, not a sedate path. If you go, let the horse find it's own way over the rocks and ruts! They know the way. We went night ziplining--pretty sedate since it's pitch black darkness; best to go during the day. We were just there to chill out so the place was perfect for us. My husband played a few rounds of golf, I went to the spa--BEAUTIFUL--a couple of times and the services were fantastic. We lazed in the sun and shade at the beach, ordered drinks and snacks and napped in the warm breeze. The dinner options were very good--plenty of fresh seafood. At breakfast, you could ask for something not on the menu and they accommodated you if at all possible. I don't understand another reviewer's report about a car break-in at the beach--the place felt very safe the whole 7 days we were there. Plenty of staff and guests around. However, the beach area is public and if you don't lock your car in Costa Rica, well, that's what happens. The resort itself is very well staffed and safe. My husband had a memorable birthday and we would definitely return.

Stayed February 2013
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Connie: Thank you so much for letting us help you celebrate your husband’s birthday! Thrilled to learn that you enjoyed Hotel Punta Islita so much that you decided to stay for the entire vacation. I appreciate your thorough comments detailing the experiences you enjoyed. Costa Rica is a generally safe destination but, like every country, it is hardly immune to opportunistic, petty theft. I hope you do have a chance to return soon to Costa Rica to sample El Silencio Lodge & Spa for a relaxing wellness escape. Saludos!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived mid afternoon and were greeted with a welcoming drink and every effort to make us comfortable. The view from the dinning room which is at pool side, over looks the beach and the Pacific Ocean. It is breathtaking. They drove us to our villa, Mariposa and when they opened the door it was a view that like being on a movie set, even more breath taking than the dinning area. The Mariposa pool was great and the beds were comfortable. As mentioned in some of the other reviews we did have a few guests from time to time but we were in the tropics so it was expected. Scorpions do have a reputation and although these are apparently not deadly, when you find them in your room or on your leg after a shower, they do make you jump and pay attention. This wasn’t a serious invasion but they were there. The living room was completely open with a view to die for. One night late I was in the living area and reading, I had a visit from a coati who some how got to the side of the coach. I really don’t know who was more startled. They are cute when you see them but when not expected***!!! The geckos were very active at night and noisy which we thought was cute until they left their little poop around. I guess this is better than having misquotes and flies which they were excellent in ridding the place of. I only mention this and not to detract from the excellence.
DON’T miss doing a massage if you go, the ladies were absolutely great.
The main ocean beach is great with lots of lounge chairs, tables and a pool with a swim up bar and great service by all staff. The food is also good for being some distance to be served. We golfed; don’t expect too much with this executive par 3 course but it is just getting out there and enjoying your company and the weather. We also zip lined and kayaked with guides Nelson and Eduardo and had a great time. We took a trip to the next larger town Samara for an additional adventure as arranged by the staff. All staff were great and very accommodating. The only thing that detracts form the hotel excellence is the dinners. The menu has potential but the food was always delivered lukewarm and lacked something special to tantalize your taste buds. Even when we ordered soup, we would ask for it to be hot (temperature); it was delivered lukewarm. The breakfasts were great with plenty of variety and the lunches were good as well.
This resort is near perfect and I am sure the new manager, Andre, a caring person, will improve it even more.

Room Tip: Mariposa Villa is a view to die for with a great little pool. We did a little cooking there but it n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thrilled to learn that your welcome was superb and that you really enjoyed so many of our signature activities with your family. Thanks for your kind understanding regarding critters. Tropical settings are indeed exuberant and sometimes finding unwanted guests is unavoidable. Open layouts make it more difficult, but as you graciously observe, the view and sense of connection with nature more than compensates.

Thanks for your extra kudos to the Spa! I will relay your comments about the restaurant service. Thank you so much for giving us pointers to help us improve our services. Warmest regards!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a couple of nights at this property. Getting there is an adventure as you have to negotiate a dirt road for some 25km (they claim that come July it will get paved but don't count on it) Once there you find yourself in a great and beautiful environment. This resort is small as resorts go and is nestled in its own valley. Not for everyone! Unless you are traveling with friends or are looking for a place that will take you away from everything, this is not for you as there are no activities except what you do for yourself. There is a par-3 9-hole course that you can play and the beach but that is about it. The rooms are very nice and if you are traveling with another couple or two, a villa is for you as they offer lots of space and very nice amenities.
Dinner at the restaurant is very good with a very nice menu, but breakfast falls a little short on options. All in all, it is a great place to visit for the right person.

Room Tip: Two and three bedroom villas is the way to go if you travel with friends
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing us two days during your recent visit to Costa Rica and for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. Your description of Hotel Punta Islita as a small resort nestled in the middle of a secluded cove is right on the mark. I am glad that you were able to enjoy golfing and lounging at the beach! I am enclosing a link to our experience menu to help the Trip Advisor community better evaluate the activities offered at our property. Hope this is helpful!

Thanks for your useful feedback :)
Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just returned from a week at Punta Islita. It is a gorgeous property with a terrific, peaceful beach.The water was just rough enough for teens to enjoy and warm enough for me! The rooms are beautiful, setting gorgeous and the staff just can't do enough for you. We did many of the activities: horseback riding, kayaking and monkey quest. Our guide was Nelson who was excellent and extremely knowledgable. Our driver Heiner also excellent. We also played golf, perfect course for a first timer like me. Calis runs it very professionally. I had a body wrap that was extremely relaxing. We went to Samara one night for dinner and it was very good (El Lagarto).Its a bit far and the road is bumpy. I understand they are paving the roads to the town which will open up more dining opportunities. Overall excellent experience. The staff exceptional. We hope to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Wonderful to read about some of the highlights of your family vacation. I am delighted to learn that our staff had such a positive impact on your experience. Thank you so much for acknowledging them. Looking forward to your return!
Williamstown, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is a beautiful resort hotel located in a remote location. We had a group of 33 fly in for a wedding at the hotel. My husband and I are the most adventurous of our group and we really enjoyed the nature hikes, zip line, horseback riding, kayaking, bird watching, golf, and the monkey quest. The tour guides were highly educated, very professional, Costa Rica natives who could answer any and all questions about the local flora, fauna, climate, customs, etc. Everyone at the hotel was vey professional, ready and willing to accomodate any request. Not an easy task with a group of 33! I have never experienced a more attentive staff. We did not have any children in our group but observing the staff with the kids that were there I would not hesitate to bring our grandchildren on our next visit. The wedding was absolutely beautiful and included native children dancing at the rehersal dinner, luau style reception, and fireworks! It was the most wonderful wedding ever. We absolutely plan to return. This is the pefect place to go for your first trip to Costa Rica. We learned so much about projects to protect all the plants and animals native to this beautiful place, especially the ARA Project to repopulate Islita with Scarlet Macaws which were almost hunted to extinction. W highly recommend Hotel Punta Islita.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
What an honor to have had a chance to be part of your amazing celebration. Thank you so much for letting us stage your wedding and thank you so much for detailing our staff’s attentiveness and heartfelt enthusiasm. Many blessings and best wishes for a lifetime of wonderful memories.
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at Punta Islita because it was highly rated. Those that say the road is terrible are correct. Depending on which direction you come from there are from 1-2 hours of rough riding. But... we were ready for that because we had been in Costa Rica for a few days and saw a lot of bad roads. If a few bumpy roads bothers you, then you probably should stay in the cities.

Upon arrival we were greeted by several friendly folks who loaded our bags and took us to our room. Wow... not what I expected. The sliding patio door, which was the main entrance strangely, looked like someone had pried it open with a crow-bar recently. It locked, but you could pull on it and it slid open partially until the lock caught on the edge of the torn-up latch assembly. OK, whatever. The room looked dingy and old. The bathroom tub was tile, and the grout looked dirty, the fixtures were not in very good condition. The back door of the room was like the patio door, someone had been hacking at it with various instruments of destruction in the past, from the inside and from the outside!! The wood around the latch was all chopped up, and you could see right through the cracks to the outside. There was NO deadbolt, only a flimsy lock button on the handle itself. We never felt secure in this room.

On 2 different days we had a scorpion in our room. First time it was small and I got rid of it myself, the second time it was a huge black one, and I called to have housekeeping dispose of it. We realized that about a 1/2 inch opening along the bottom of that back door was letting any critter walk right in our room, so we rolled up a towel and put it against the bottom of the door and that seemed to help.

Service - we heard a lot about the great service, but they were not that friendly to us. Now the caveat here is that we had just come from staying at the Arenal Nayara hotel, (see my review on that), and compared to that place I suppose it's hard to measure up, so I will not slam them too bad on this, some of the staff did try to be friendly on occasion. The one staff member who I would rate outstanding was MIguel. He was a bartender that really seemed to love his job, and love people! He made us feel very welcome, was truly interested in us, and even helped me to learn some Spanish. They should give that guy a raise. He treated EVERYONE like royalty! He stood out from the rest of the staff.

Beach area - spectacular! That is the crown jewel of this place. The beach is nice, they had plenty of good lounge chairs and tables around to relax and watch the waves. There was also a nice pool with swim-up bar. One evening we had dinner at the beach, and it was lovely! The food was not great of course, because they had to keep it warm buffet style, but the place was decorated with lights, torches, etc. White linen tablecloths, etc. VERY romantic. We loved it!

All in all if I were going back to the Pacific coast of Costa Rica again I would probably look at other hotels to see if I could find a nicer one. I probably couldn't beat the beach, but the rooms certainly have to be nicer somewhere else.

Room Tip: Take a walk into town and try the local restaurant, (I think it's called Kmbute). Quaint, beauti...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your detailed review. I appreciate your feedback and am glad to let you know that we have are addressing the issues that you pointed out with your accommodations. I would also like to learn more about your experience with our staff. We consistently achieve the highest marks in this regard and I certainly would like to understand why we feel short in your case. I am delighted to learn that Miguel wowed you with his amazing attitude. He is a gem!

I am also delighted to learn that you fully enjoyed our beach and that you experienced the ocean-side torch-lit dining experience.

Please do feel free to contact me at: outreach@grupoislita.com When you return to Costa Rica, we would love to have another chance to be your hosts and make up for the shortcomings of your recent visit. Warmest regards.
Vancouver Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have visited Punta Islita several times over the past two years and have had first class experiences most of the time. In the past three weeks two groups of friends have stayed at the hotel and a number more staying in near by Carrillo have headed over for lunch by the beach. Our service has been excellent for a mixed crew including three small children and one infant. My wife and I are heading there to stay over the weekend and I will report back expecting the same level of service that we received in the past. We will also be having a spa experience and will be able to comment on that. Last February when we stayed, the service was great including some special touches such as setting our dinner table away from the main dining area to give us a bit more privacy. Compared to the prices one pays for similar experiences near Tamarindo, this hotel provides good value and supports the local community.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
The best compliment to a hotel are repeat visits so please let me thank you for choosing us repeatedly and for sharing your enthusiasm with the Trip Advisor community. Muchos saludos!

Been to Hotel Punta Islita? Share your experiences!