“A Beautiful Place for Anytime” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Punta Islita
Denver, Colorado
“A Beautiful Place for Anytime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff were extraordinary on every count. We rented three homes adjacent to each other and did most of the cooking. Yes, they gave us oversize owns and pots so we could cook and feed the entire group of 19. Everything was as expected . . . a little rustic, very charming, very welcome, exceptional staff, great service, and a wonderful time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Dennis,

Our enthusiastic thanks for your glowing review. Thrilled to learn that your travel group fully enjoyed a fantastic Costa Rica vacation. Thank you so much for choosing Hotel Punta Islita. As you note, our Private Villas are fully outfitted and offer a great lodging option for families or groups of friends. We look forward to many returns!

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I flew in with nature air - a lovely scenic flight on a 12 seater (bit of a flying minibus) A good choice I think, hearing some of the rough road stories. From the moment we arrived we were looked after by Marvin. I mentioned that there was only one vegetarian dish on the menu and he spoke to the chef and the waiter had a list of choices for me by that evening! He also arranged for a bodyboard and fins so I could surf. The staff were all lovely and made the stay extra special. I did one organised activity which was turtle watching and saw olive rilley sea turtles come up the beach and lay eggs, back lit by lightning from a storm out to sea - amazing (but could have been better guided) The hotel is surrounded by dry tropical forest and you don't need to go far to see wildlife; howler monkeys just past reception and a coati walked under my hammock not to mention all the birds. I had a lovely time - it was a gorgeous place to relax (lovely infinity pool, good cocktails) with enough to do that I didn't get too restless (beach walks, wandering into the village, walking into the forest, birdwatching, surfing)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ali,

I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful comments and advise with the Trip Advisor community. Nature Air is a great option because it lets you enjoy Hotel Punta Islita just 40 minutes after boarding from San Jose. For additional scheduling options, Sansa Airlines provides the service as well.

Hotel Punta Islita is proud to showcase some of Costa Rica's most amazing natural wonders and I am glad that you had a chance to spot monkeys, coatis, exotic tropical birds, and sea turtles. The egg-laying ritual of the sea turtle is a true gem and I would love to have more input as to how the viewing experience could be improved upon. I would welcome your comments at: outreach@grupoislita.com Warmest regards!
Sevenoaks, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Me and my fiancé spent 3 nIghts here. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful and the hotel had a friendly atmosphere.

Food: the restaurant was very good quality but drinks were expensive.

Acivities: there is a bit to do but only on selected days. We went on a nature walk and the guide was very knowledgable and professional. The sPa service was excellent and fairly good value.

Rooms: we stayed in room 7 which had its own zacuzzi, the room was really nice.

Overall we had a great time despite the ridiculously rough road on the way in!

• Stayed August 2012
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Great to learn that we succeeded in providing a wonderful beach getaway to enjoy some of Costa Rica's best ocean landscapes and warm hospitality. Driving to Hotel Punta Islita entails fully asphalted roads until the last 10 miles that blend asphalt, gravel portions, and depending on the time of year, muddy conditions. We are also accessible via a 35-40 minute local flight. Our reservations staff will gladly assist guests in determining what is the most suitable transportation option :) Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences. Pura vida!
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Punta Islita has been the last station we visited during our Costa Rica trip and to speak about hotels it has been our highlight.

We wanted to book a double-room but as all these rooms were fully booked we decided to take one of the casitas with plunge pool, which was a good choice. The casita turned up as a rather small villa but had a nice terrace and a private plunge pool. The bathroom was pretty small, the sitting area was nice and there are tee- and coffeemaking facilities in the rooms.

The service was excellent in the restaurant as well as at the beach. Friendly people are around just to pamper their guests. Dinner is served at the restaurant around the pool in a perfect romantic atmosphere. Once a week a dinner buffet was offered at the beach.

Staying at Punta Islita you should know that there is a lovely private beach but the stairs from the reception downwards to the beach will take about 10 minutes walk. You may spend your day at the beach, at the pool or on your terrace - anyway it's a fine place to relax.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Danke schon! It was a pleasure to have a chance to be your hosts. I certainly hope that you have a chance to visit us again, hopefully one of our larger offerings, a Two Bedroom Private Villa will be available for your full enjoyment. Although our Casitas are quite spacious, they are certainly much smaller compared to our Villas. Thank you very much for noting the friendly hospitality of our staff and for highlighting the romance-infused atmosphere that distinguishes dining at our 1492 Restaurant. We wish you many happy returns to Costa Rica!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Punta Islita was the first stop on our honeymoon. We stayed there from 06/30 to 7/3. The resort is located in a secluded part of the Nicoya Peninsula. It is about a 3 to 4 hour drive from the airport in Liberia, along some rough roads. However, in my opinion getting there is part of the charm (My wife differs with me on this). We stayed in a suite that included a private jacuzzi which overlooked the Pacific.

Most Memorable Aspects:
- Amazing views of the Pacific
- Private Jacuzzi
- Incredible service & hospitality provided by staff
- Being able to learn about and take part in some of the sustainable work the hotel does with the local community and environment
- Infinity pool overlooking the Pacific

Negative aspects:
- Beach is not the best as it is located between two streams that flow into the Pacific. The beaches nearby are much better for sunbathing, swimming, etc
- Unless your version of nightlife is related to wildlife, this is not the place to stay if you are looking to party it up

What we remembered most about this location is the warmth of the staff there and the beauty of the local community of Islita which the hotel works closely with. More specifically if you travel there be sure to go on a guided tour with Eduardo. He is a great guide and goes out of his way to ensure that you that every question is answered. The general manager Alonso, took the time to give me a presentation on the sustainability work the hotel does with the local community and environment. There are many places that talk alot about sustainability but very few that actually do the work towards sustainability that Punta Islita does. We look forward to returning to Punta Islita!

Room Tip: Families and larger groups should definitely get the villas which come with private swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Receiving guests from all over the world is certainly one of the more fun aspects of the travel industry. Thanks for visiting us all the way from India and for taking the time to share your insights.

I am especially thankful for your sincere interest and enthusiasm about sustainability. We are very passionate about responsible tourism practices and are quite excited to note the many successful outcomes of our program. Our thriving community neighbors and healthy natural environment are key to the Hotel Punta Islita experience. Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon. We wish you many blessings and many wonderful opportunities to discover our planet’s wonders.
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My sister, and 3 friends and I stayed at the Hotel Punta Islita for 2 nights, loved it so much, we added another night. From the GORGEOUS private villa which was in pristine condition, well decorated and super comfortable, to the most beautiful infinity pool, the private infinity pool and the private hammock, to the amazing staff that remembered us and our villa name it was a dream vacation. We even learned how to surf on their beach! What a great memory that I cannot wait to return to.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Glad to hear that we succeeded in providing a fun, adventure-filled friends' getaway. Our Private Villas are indeed perfect for families or groups of friends, offering multiple bedrooms, independent bathrooms, a full kitchen, spacious lounging areas, and even a private plunge pool. Thanks for detailing your experience. Surfing is one of the most fun activities ever and I am glad to learn that you tested out the waves with us. Hang ten!
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I spent several nights of our honeymoon at the Punta Islita hotel and resort, following our stay at the Gaia Hotel and Reserve in Manuel Antonio. Overall I would rate the total experience at the Punta Islita hotel as only average.

For the positive aspects of the trip I have to say the views at the hotel are among the most beautiful in the world. The upper (infinity) pool provides an ideal location for sunbathing, and an amazing view of Costa Rica. We also enjoyed getting to know the staff at Punta Islita-we found them kind, warm, and helpful throughout our stay. The hotel is also unique in that the rooms are separate from the main lodge, and each suite is a building unto itself-this provides a unique, private experience. We also enjoyed the kayaking tour, which was a leisure kayaking experience on one of the neighboring rivers-our hotel appointed guide was wonderful. The town of Punta Islita is very quaint, and has one church, a corner store, and an art museum that also sells some of their pieces-if you stay at the hotel it is worth the several minute trip into town to see the sweet gallery.

There are several reasons we have reviewed this hotel as only average. First, I had an allergic reaction to the bedding on our first night at the hotel-I was itching and unable to sleep to the point of hives. I should mention that I have no known allergies, and my skin is not sensitive. We requested the sheets be changed the next morning and I didn't have the problem again which only made me wonder if the bedding was in fact clean the first night. Second, the food is mediocre at best.The hotel provides two different restaurant options, the first being up at the main lodge-this is open throughout the day. The second restaurant option is a three minute shuttle ride down to the beach and is open for lunch only. The food offered at the main restaurant was awful nearly every meal, and at about $30 per plate we were beyond disappointed. The second restaurant at the beach provided far better meals, so by the end of the trip we were eating larger lunches and only ordering appetizers for dinner to save ourselves the disappointment of another terrible meal. I should have prefaced this review by noting we are the least picky eaters, and enjoy food of all types and kinds. Be prepared that if you stay at Punta Islita the only option is to eat at one of these two restaurants. There is one very small restaurant in town open limited hours, but for the most part the hotel is your only food option. Also disappointing was our concierge experience-our concierge was Mervin and we found him slightly off-putting. When we arrived and checked in he told us we had been upgraded, when in reality we simply received the suite we had paid for. This got things off to a weird start because it made us feel as if he was trying to pull one over on us. Other guests staying at the hotel told us they had the same experience upon check-in. In addition, he was very smug and sarcastic-it was definitely not a language barrier because he spoke perfect English. There was an attitude that was demeaning and quite rude. The other staff at the hotel was delightful but we found Mervin far from welcoming. Also disappointing was the beach at the hotel. The sand is less sand and more jagged black rocks. If you want to spend time enjoying the beach this probably isn't the resort for you-even our guides suggested going elsewhere (a short 20 minute ride) to another beach to swim.

Most importantly we just found the hotel was a poor value-at this price you are far better off staying at another resort in Costa Rica. Our first few days in the country were spent in Manuel Antonio at the Gaia Hotel and Reserve and we absolutely loved it. In general, everything at Islita was just "okay"-nothing special.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Your opinions and feedback are important to us and we hope to find in them an opportunity to address any shortcomings. I am dismayed that we did not succeed in providing an amazing travel experience.

That is certainly our goal. I am saddened to learn that you suffered from an allergy during your first night. Thank you for noting that our staff took immediate care of the problem by changing the sheets. Please rest assured that your skin reaction did not obey to unclean bedding as you wonder. As a premium property, our laundry facilities are well equipped and a strict protocol is followed in preparing every room with fresh linens prior to guest arrival.

I have noted your comments about our menu and Marvin. Regarding the first, I kindly ask you to write to me at: outreach@grupoislita.com More specific feedback would be greatly helpful. In terms of the latter, I apologize for Marvin’s misstep. When possible, we like to surprise honeymooners with an upgrade. He should have verified your reservation details and I apologize for his oversight. More details about the other aspects of your experience with him would be appreciated as well.

As a Costa Rican, I thank you for having chosen my country as your honeymoon destination and I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed its amazing nature and beaches. Saludos!

Been to Hotel Punta Islita? Share your experiences!