“Innkeeper makes the stay great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sweet Autumn Inn

Sweet Autumn Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Mills
Sweet Autumn Inn
You added Sweet Autumn Inn to your Saves list
1019 S. Main St., Lake Mills, WI 53551   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Lake Mills B&B and Inns
Indiana
“Innkeeper makes the stay great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Terri is a wonderful person and really brings the value to this stay. Her breakfast is wonderful and her skills of making you comfortable, making travel suggestions, and chatting as well as her flexibility make the stay warm and comfortable. This was our first B&B experience in the U.S. The room was comfortable and the bedding was very nice. Being truly honest the room was quaintly decorated but the water stains on wallpaper and the dated look including the carpet and bathroom were only overcome by Terri's warmth. I have looked at B&B rooms that equalled the furnishings of a top hotel but this was simply quaint.

The fact that there is a nice little restaurant on the lake (seasonal) only 2-3 minutes away with great outside seating and there is a brewpub (beer only, but you could order in food) and that this is a nice little slice of midwest American were all plusses.

As a smart traveler I have actually booked an ocean-front suite for less money than this B&B, but we truly enjoyed our time at this property.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Just a block away from the Glacial Drumlin State Trail, this B & B was a perfect first stop on our trip. The innkeeper was very thoughtful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

I stay at bed and breakfasts because they are perfect writing retreats. Chain hotel rooms are sterile-looking and make me feel lonely.

Sweet Autumn Inn is a lovely bed breakfast found in Lake Mills, WI. Terri is a warm hostess, and I felt instantly welcomed. Her homemade cookies and offer of wine let me know I was in for a cozy stay. I slept wonderfully on a comfortable bed in the charmingly decorated room i selected. Sometimes you'll see ads for lovely bed and breakfasts that are unfortunately located on busy, noisy streets. Not the case here. I had all the quiet and peace I needed to get a lot of work done.

Terri's breakfast was out of this world! Her apple tart and her french toast (with homemade syrup!) inspired me to book another night the following week. Obviously, I'll be back for another peaceful getaway.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
chicago, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

We booked directly with Teri, owner of the Inn, and she was incredibly helpful and kind--we had to change our arrival time repeatedly and she was gracious enough to roll with the punches. We arrived to find the house exactly as promised; beautiful, comfortable, and relaxing. The porch is fabulous for relaxing with a glass of the complimentary wine, some cheese, and a magazine, and there's a state trail and a lake a block away that we explored while enjoying the spring sunshine. We had dinner at the local golf clubhouse, and there were plenty of options in town as well.

Teri had a bonfire going when we returned; she heard us talking about how nice it'd be to have some s'mores, and she ran with it. I doubt this is the first time she went the extra step to make her guests feel welcome. We sat outside with her family, roasting marshmallows, drinking the local beer, and enjoying the evening. Her grandkids are charmers!

The Inn, while full with 4 other guests, was quiet and we seldom saw each other while there. Our room had amenities on par with quality hotels, but had some additional touches that made it much more welcoming and enjoyable. There is a mini-fridge and microwave available at all times, which was a plus.

Breakfast in the morning was beautiful and tasty; she worked with our request for a hearty breakfast and served it on gorgeous vintage tableware. The whole house is done in a beautifully restored manner, and Teri and Steve did an amazing job with it. The attitude of the house reflects the owners; charming, open, and relaxed. Teri was always available, but never hovered or seemed obvious.

It's an easy drive from Lake Mills to Madison, and an equally easy drive to Milwaukee (but farther). I'll return the next time I have a need to be in Madison. The $119 price is an excellent value for both the quality of the stay and the little extras (wine, breakfast, munchies), and I'm happy to recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — it felt like visiting good friends or family; no formality, it's a *house*, not a hotel
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sweet Autumn Inn? Share your experiences!