“Unfortunately unedable...” 1 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Cafe on the Park
131 N. Main Street, Lake Mills, WI (Formerly Anne's Cafe on the Park)
920-648-1100
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 17 Restaurants in Lake Mills
Cuisines: American
Bozeman, Montana
“Unfortunately unedable...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

We stopped here for breakfast and we ordered several plates and we were severly disapointed. The creps we ordered were made with canned peaches and the strawberries were frozen and cold on the plate. They were extremely chewy and we couldnt tell what they had filled them with. After reading the other review I learned why my hashbrowns tasted like fish. The biscuits and gravy were absolutly appalling and tasted like a cup of salt and soap. The over easy eggs were hard and wouldn't run. They also had lots of black metalic flecks of nastiness from the grill. The pancakes were about as thin as a quarter and were so burnt that they were black. It was aweful. Never go here. Who ever was in the kitchen = FAIL.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukee, WI
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

This is a sad review for me to write because this is such a cute cafe...right on the square in Lake Mills, a classic small town cafe. I've been here for lunch a couple times and, while the food was never outstanding, it wasn't bad either. In other words, classic diner food.

So it's very sad to report that after having dinner there on a recent Friday night, I will never return. I ordered the all-you-can-eat fish (fried haddock) with potato pancakes, coleslaw, rye bread, and clam chowder. Of the three pieces of fish, only one was edible; the rest tasted almost rotten. The potato pancakes were the worst I've ever had and tasted metallic. The apple sauce that accompanied them was rancid. The spread on the rye bread was not butter. Not sure what it was... Only the coleslaw was edible. I'm a very tolerant eater, but when potato pancakes are bad, I almost want to cry. I love potato pancakes!

My husband had the liver and onions and said it was barely edible. My kids ordered chicken tenders (frankly, the best thing on our table) and french fries. The fries were not cooked all the way through.

We didn't complain...the cook didn't look like the type you'd want to mess with. The place was also empty, another sign that even Lake Mills folks don't want to go there anymore.

I don't know what to say...this was so sad 'cuz it's such a cute place. Maybe they've gotten new management in the past year? At any rate, we'll never return. (On the plus side, the waitress was very nice.)

• Visited March 2011