“Unique stay...very close to 5 stars!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maxwell Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Geneva
Maxwell Mansion
Save Saved
You added Maxwell Mansion to your Saves list
421 Baker Street, Lake Geneva, WI 53147 (Formerly Golden Oaks Mansion)   |
Ranked #4 of 15 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Unique stay...very close to 5 stars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed here with a group of 5 people. The mansion is the oldest in Lake Geneva and you can feel the history as soon as you walk through the doors! We had a suite that included 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The one bedroom had a queen size bed and a twin, the other room had a King size bed. This was a perfect layout for a family traveling together. The place was very clean, furniture was beautiful and the location was perfect to walk to the lake, restaurants and shopping. This property was recently purchased by the same owners as the Baker House (wonderful place to eat), they are making some changes and I believe this place will be fabulous when they are finished. What kept it from being a 5 star were some little things that were missing, There was no water or coffee available. Also, we had to wait to check in as no one was there. However, we are looking forward to seeing what improvements are made to this property by hopefully returning next year!

Room Tip: Check out the suites if you need 2 bedrooms and 2 baths together
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

What a wonderful place to stay!
From the moment we arrived & received a nice tour & history of the property...
until we left with a treat to go, as well as the recipe...
Everything was great!
After arrival we enjoyed a very relaxing evening at the Juicy Olive Lounge. We loved meeting some of the locals & couldn't stop eating the “Soon to be World Famous Gourmet Pretzels". We made a meal out of a variety of eclectic & delicious appetizers.
We stayed in the Golden Rainbow Room. It was was extremely relaxing, complete with the free standing electric fireplace. The piano music CD was a very nice touch.
Breakfast was outstanding! Barb is a marvelous cook and also very friendly and engaging.
Thanks for helping to make our evening away very magical.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Round Lake Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

A really neat historic mansion. Walking distance to town. Loved the fact that there was a martini lounge on the first floor.

Our stay included breakfast, and there was a very small window of opportunity to get it in the morning (between 8:30-9am). But let me tell you, it was way worth it!

Overall, great service, friendly staff, great experience!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rainbow Room, which was nice, but the bathroom was comically small. It looked like...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Nice B&B in a good location close to the lake and downtown Lake Geneva. Large room and decent size bathroom. The worst part of our stay and the reason that we will never stay again at this B&B, and why we give it such a low overall rating, is that we got locked out of the main entrance one evening and were unable to contact anyone to let us in for almost two hours. The manager lives off-site and the owner, who is not active in the business and lives on the property, was out- of- town. It wasn't because we had forgotten our key or the key itself didn't work but the lock on the front door was defective and if the guests didn't perfectly follow all the instructions for handling the lock, it might end up not working with the key. When we got home from dinner, we discovered that the lock wouldn't open. So, we called the "emergency" contact number for the B&B, which we had been told would be answered by the manager. However, no one answered and we had to leave a message because it went into a voice mail box. In the 2 hours that we stood outside the front door, the manager never showed up to let us in. We even called the police department to see if they had another "emergency" contact number but, they had the same number that we had. Then the other couple who was staying there came back from dinner, and now all of the guests were stranded on the front steps. Finally, my wife realized that there was a brochure for a woman who sold pastry at the B&B. So, we called that number hoping she could contact someone for us. Fortunately she answered and as it turned out, she had a key to a back entrance. She came over to let us in. The next morning at breakfast the manager apologized for the "inconvenience" but did not offer any kind of compensation, present or future, for the inconvenience and emotional stress we went through not knowing if we would get into our room that evening. The property is currently "For Sale", so I get the impression that they're putting off necessary repairs and when we left, there still was no sign of the lock getting repaired.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
naggom, Owner at Maxwell Mansion, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
I can't tell you how disappointing it is to read that you would go on trip advisor and give an overall low rating to us when you even admitted what a great place this was, because of your own doing! Especially because you are the one that locked yourself out by dead bolting the door! The reason that the door isn't being serviced is because there is nothing wrong with the door. You dead bolted it after we instruct every guest how to use the door and ask them NOT to deadbolt it or you will lock other guests out! It happens at least once a year where someone doesn't listen to how to conveniently get in and out of the mansion, and does exactly what you did or they leave their keys. It is for that reason after hours the phones are forwarded to our Innkeeper in case of emergency. This didn’t happen that evening for some reason and for this I truly apologize. As the owner of this boutique hotel I was not very happy myself to hear that a guest was yes "inconvenienced". We do everything in our power to make our guests comfortable. When our innkeeper spoke with you the next morning you said it was no problem and never gave any inkling that you were upset or that you were locked out for two hours. In fact, when we traced the times of your calls 2 hours was exaggerated. If you had been up front with our Innkeeper that you were so upset and had “emotional stress” I know for a fact she would have tried to make you happy in some other compensated way. It is a little late for that now that you have done what you did here, and not the way to handle an unfortunate circumstance that was clearly a mistake on both parties. We pride ourselves of our guests loving the mansion and their experience here. I was on a business trip for my other full time job I work but, I wish I would have been here to meet you to see what kind of person does this to an establishment on purpose. Yes the mansion is for sale; as is everything on earth. For your information I have spent over $20,000 already this year on continual repairs to this 155 year old mansion. So to say that I am putting off necessary repairs is an untrue statement on your part! I hope that future guests are able to read through your false representation of our lovely boutique hotel.
Centerton, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Great location in Lake Geneva- a two block walk to lake and downtown area. We stayed in room 202- very roomy with comfy bed and spacious bathroom. Very nice tour of the mansion. Breakfast was delicious- all homemade and served on the enclosed porch. Just coffee/water and pastry for pm snack. There is a restaurant and bar, (closed for private party when we visited so can't review) along with a tea room which is a plus but limits areas if you just want to lounge and read.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Each year I make a point to visit some of the beautiful cities in Wisconsin where I live. This summer I made time to visit one of my favorites.

On my recent trip to Lake Geneva I decided I wanted to stay at a Resort Hotel. Rather that registering at a name brand location I chose to pick a location that speaks of Lake Geneva history. I did my homework and found the charm and tranquility of the Golden Oaks Mansion which was built in 1856. This bed and breakfast hotel offered a relaxed atmosphere that I did not find at other venues.

The Golden Oaks Mansion had dining porches with flowered terraces to present guests seclusion in which to relax. Upon closing the doors to my chamber, I found total comfort with full private baths. The unique charm of Lake Geneva in this b & b accommodation was refreshing. This Boutique Inn had a full service bar, lounge, outdoor patio, fine dining restaurant, bakery, and tea room. I booked a massage with one of the therapists, Just what I needed to revitalize my body, mind, and spirit after a long work week.
This resort hotel is walking distance to the lake, where you can swim and sun tan on the beach. Shopping, antiques, coffee shops, nightlife, and restaurants are only blocks away. I enjoyed my stay and the abundant treasures I found in close proximity to the Golden Oaks Mansion.

On the wall I noticed a Nicoise restaurant review: Rated “Most beautiful dining room in Lake Geneva” it read. The dinner menu included food ranging from steaks to seafood, and appetizers to cakes. Nicoise serves “tapas with a French Twist” Self proclaimed as the best restaurant location for fish, try the Roasted Norwegian Salmon. Chef Dave’s award winning recipes for Breast of Duck and Portabella Napoleon sure made my mouth water. On the menu there were desserts such as Pistachio Crème Brule and French Profiteroles. I saw that you can reserve the “Chef’s Table” for a unique special dining occasion. They also have a bar named The Juicy Olive Lounge. They offer signature martinis, cocktails, and an extensive wine list. I thought this would be a perfect place for a romantic date night out or business networking event.

While I was there, it was a perfect day. With the beauty of this location I was not surprised to find an intimate wedding on location. With the elegant charm, ornate fountains, and gardens it was great photo setting for the bridal party. The photographer took many pictures of the bridal wedding dress and gowns. I am sure this would be a memorable venue for any event.

FYI, there are 5 unique guest suites, private reception dining rooms, and spa massage rooms. I forgot to mention the drop dead best cupcakes I ever tasted at OMG Cupcakes. I went home, full, relaxed and refreshed. It was fun to just tour the facility. Had a great time, I will be back. Thanks GOM!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
North Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We thought it would be fun to go to the Ice Festival in Lake Geneva & found the Golden Oaks Mansion B&B to stay at. It has history that dates back I believe to 1865...It used to have acres and acres of Lake Geneva but slowly sold off to other places to build. It was lovely. They have a TeaHouse inside w/beautiful cupcakes-they left a cupcake for each of us to welcome our arrival. The meals were fabulous, made by one of the owners. They have a Bar area called Juicy Olives where the Bartender is personable, knowledgeable & Funny. We relaxed in the fireplace room, with other guests but Our OWN room was huge with 2 baths & a fireplace. the bed was comfy and the furniture was antiques (for sale) We LOVED it here and plan to return next February again. One night is NOT enough, make sure you book it for 2 nights.

Room Tip: We booked the largest room w/fireplace sitting area and 2 baths. It was spacious and has a balcony t...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Maxwell Mansion? Share your experiences!