“Not what it seems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Geneva Ridge Resort

You added Geneva Ridge Resort to your Saves list
Geneva Ridge Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   W4240 Hwy 50, Lake Geneva, WI 53147 (Formerly Lodge at Geneva Ridge)   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
“Not what it seems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The website makes the hotel look like a million bucks but when you get there, it's not even close. The staff was great and very attentive but the rooms were average. The toilets didn't flush properly, the fridge in the room is no fridge at all, it's a wine cooler. The lakeside views were non-existent. All I saw was houses and trees, no lake.. It's a short drive to downtown LG which was good but I would Never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014
gnrmanagement, General Manager at Geneva Ridge Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear 312explorer,

Thank you for your review and on behalf of the entire team at Geneva Ridge Resort we are sorry we did not fulfill your expectations as a resort.

We will review your comments as a team and make a positive difference moving forward for future guest(s) stays.

Kris Willis - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have decided to checkout Geneva Ridge after about 2 years going to Lake Lawn . Wow what a change it has made. The Hotel room was clean and they were newly remodeled . The staff was great from the front desk to the pool staff. One person really stuck out Cassie Rice the manager at Bar 55 . The Bar was extremely busy and she went out of her way to please all. Again way to go Geneva Ridge your have come a long way keep it up . Thanks Again

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Nick P. for taking the time and reviewing Geneva Ridge Resort on TripAdvisor.

I will pass along your great comment and kudos to Cassie Rice, she is one of our Super Stars here at the resort and she will enjoy reading your review.

We look forward to having you stay with us in the very near future,
Kris Willis, General Manager
Darien, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The hotel room was maintained well, and the spa had good services which I took time to have two treatments. One was really good and it was a bath treatment. The other one was a message which I never had before; Reiki massage. That went well, I believe. I felt so good after the treatments.

We feel we were overcharged for the room. It didn't seem we got the discount we were promised for 2 nights over the 4th of July weekend.

The breakfast in the restaurant was disappointing; the English toast was over done and hard (not like English toast should be served), the apple juice was watered down to the point that you did not know that it was apple juice.

There was no ice in the machines on July 5th so we could put some in our cooler to keep our fruit fresh and cool while we were traveling.

The sound proofing in the hotel was not really that good. We could hear everyone in the hallway all the time.

They charge another $12 a night you stay for some detailed unknown reason. It is in the extra
paper you sign at the front desk while checking. They also have a 24 hour no cancel limit so they would charge you in full if you cancel within the 24 hr period.

The spa area needs some remodeling and redecorating.

I can not comment on any fireworks since we were scheduled to go to another location for fireworks.

The outside bar area was nice and they served good pizza at the bar.

There was a big increase for the price of the room for the 4th of July.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TCalderon000,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry we completely missed the mark on many items during your stay.

As a team we have discussed them and are making changes to how we inform our future guests of where our ice machines are located, information on our food and beverage, what is included with our $12 resort fee (use of our bicycles, high speed wireless internet, shuttle, etc.).

We hope that you stay with Geneva Ridge Resort on your next travels to Lake Geneva so you can see how we have improved in our communication and guest services.

Kris Willis- General Manager
Batavia,IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'm rating the overall hotel poor but I have to say my review is based primarily on the spa. I had bought a Groupon for my mom & sisters to have a relaxing night away together. We got to the hotel and were given our room. The front desk gave us a king with a pullout when we had booked 2 queens. They did rectify that right away. We then went straight to the spa where I had booked us each spa pedicures and massages. The spa was in the basement and looked very aged. We were given robes and lockers. The robes were literally tattered & falling apart. The keys for the actual lockers must have disappeared because they had rigged other locks onto some of the lockers. They carpets were stained, they only had one remote for the pedicure chairs, I could go on & on. My sister & I booked a Swedish massage which was not really relaxing at all - the guy massaged us at about a mile a minute. The pedicures were about double what I normally pay and look pretty crappy. The people were very nice but after leaving we all questioned whether all of them were actually licensed massage therapists and manicurists. The hotel was decent, our room was clean, we enjoyed the view from the bar and had a nice breakfast in the restaurant. Unfortunately our experience at the spa just left a bad taste in our mouth and our pocketbooks and set the tone for the rest of our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
gnrmanagement, General Manager at Geneva Ridge Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear My3kidsBatavia,

Thank you for writing such a detailed experience in our Spa on TripAdvisor. I have spoken with our Director of The Spa and will be following up with each individual you had services from to discuss your outlined services and how we made you feel.
We are currently doing some upgrades to The Spa, which I am sure you could not help but notice due to the painting and such, as well as ordering of robes/flip flops and re-keying all lockers due to prior guest(s) taking their keys with them upon departure.
We would like for you to come back and experience our spa services in the future, since we do have an amazing team and they do take pride in what they are skilled in. (We can only hire and maintain licensed personal for The Spa).
Thank you again and we invite you to contact us prior to your next visit to the resort and Spa,
Kim Walsh - Spa Director
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed here 3 nights on business while working in Lake Geneva. This property is about 4 miles from the downtown Lake Geneva area, and was a nice and quiet retreat during my stay. The hotel has extensive grounds and overlooks a lake, however it is not actually lakefront as there are condos down the hill from the hotel.

I had a room with two double beds with a lake view, which was stretching it a bit, as I could only see the lake slightly thru the trees down the hill. I was on the main floor (lobby level) which was actually on the second floor. The room did not have a balcony, but the first floor rooms had some seating areas just outside the rooms facing the lake on the ground level, where I saw some couples enjoying some evening wine they had brought.

The room itself was clean and comfortable, with two doubles, TV, and desk area, with in-room coffee maker. The bath had a granite sink and combo tub/shower, shampoos etc, and my only complaint was the shower was a bit of trouble to shut off; seemed to drip a bit.

I didn't use the huge hillside pool overlooking the lake, or other facilities as I was traveling on business and busy most of the time, but it was used by many as I noticed on my evening walks around the property. The hotel is in a quiet community with condo properties surrounding the resort. I walked around the community for exercise in the evening, and it was calm and pleasant.

The hotel offers a large restaurant and indoor lounge, although I did not have the opportunity to utilize these. There is a very nice terraced outdoor bar that has great views of the lake from the hillside, with comfortable seating. This was an especially nice place to sit and chill during the evening, with nice views of the lake from the hillside.

The hotel sits back aways off highway 50, and there are some other restaurants up the road, although there are none within walking distance other than the hotels. The lodge has a remote feel to it, which I preferred, compared to being in the center of town.

Note the hotel charges a mandatory $12 service fee, which is a bit of a gripe for me (as is any hotel that charges a mandatory service charge - I think it should be included in the rate). The service fee includes internet, the pool, and facilities, although I only used the internet, which at times was quite slow. The hotel must have recently upped the service fee, as the key envelope you are given at checkin shows a $10 service fee, although the checkin document shows $12 - so be warned. It would be nice if they would include a couple bottles of water with this additional resort fee like some places do; it doesn't really seem justified otherwise.

Overall a nice stay for business, and would be even more so for pleasure, as where many people I observed staying there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
gnrmanagement, General Manager at Geneva Ridge Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Like2cruz,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

As you stated we are the great woodsy resort just 3 miles West of Lake Geneva! We do offer shuttle for our guest(s) if you would like to go into town for shopping and events, but we enjoy having our guests staying on the resort and using our pool(s), outdoor Bar55 with live music, spa, bicycles, golf, dining and more!

We hope you stay with us when you travel back to the Lake Geneva area!

Have a great summer!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in June and found it to be just what we wanted. We had beautiful weather so found ourselves able to really enjoy the heated outdoor pool and seating areas. The staff was friendly and the rooms were attractive and clean. Mission-style furniture and a comfortable bed. The dining room was pretty average, but prices matched. The resort is only a short drive into Lake Geneva for restaurants, fun shopping and access points to the walking path that goes all around the lake.

Room Tip: Not great views of the lake even with lakeside room, but we were in 1302 which overlooked the pool...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
gnrmanagement, General Manager at Geneva Ridge Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear HikerLady02,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and choosing Geneva Ridge Resort while visiting Lake Geneva.

We look forward to having you stay with us again this summer if your travels bring you to the Lake Geneva area.

Please feel free to contact us prior so we can assist you with your future reservations.

Kris Willis
Highland Lake County, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stood here for 3 nights June 12-14, 2014. We, thankfully, booked our stay through a Groupon deal and got it cheaper with a boat tour included. The night prior to our stay I called and they did not have our reservation booked. They said they seen the reservation through Groupon but they did not know how the reservation didn't get from Groupon to the resort. They said they would upgrade us to a lake side view. When we got there, they just pointed to where our room would be. No lake side view. Our view was the parking lot. We didn't argue about this since a non lake side view is what we paid for anyways. Every time we went to ask the front desk a question, they didn't know the answer. Workers need to be trained better. Our TV wasn't showing all of the channels it was supposed to. We went to the front desk to ask what the problem was. They didn't know and called maintenance.

The restaurant area is very confusing. There is someone standing there as if she is the hostess but then they tell you to go in and sit in the bar area or the big dining area-two different rooms. You go in either and you don't know who your server is. We decided to sit at the tables near the bar area. We eventually had to ask the bartender who takes our order and he said he would. Food was ok.

We talked to another couple in the pool on our first night there and they had the same complaints-lousy service at the front desk and the resort also didn't have their reservation booked. They used Groupon too.

We got dressed one night to go to the pool and it was taped off with yellow tape and wasn't open. The resort didn't bother to find a way to tell all guests. A call to the room or a sign at the front desk would have been nice.

Overall, I honestly think we would have experienced better service and pricing staying at Comfort Suites up the road. At a free breakfast would have been offered. Aside from having a spa and restaurant/bar on sight, you will be getting the same amenities as a budget hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake Side room but makes sure they actually book your room. We weren't the only ones w...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JennyI,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and for purchasing a GroupOn discounted coupon for your stay.

We are sorry we fell short to your expectations during your overnight stay. There are times when other guest(s) issues really effect everyone and we try our best to correct it as fast as we can (issue with the pool).

We have taken your comments as positive and to learn from for future communication with our guests, so we look forward to having you back to experience how far we have come in doing so!

Thank you again and we look forward to having you stay with us this summer!
Kris Willis- General Manager

Been to Geneva Ridge Resort? Share your experiences!