“Very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Geneva Ridge Resort

You added Geneva Ridge Resort to your Saves list
Geneva Ridge Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   W4240 Hwy 50, Lake Geneva, WI 53147 (Formerly Lodge at Geneva Ridge)   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had the Groupon with a "resort view" room, which was a parking lot view. Just a bit of false advertising. Our room was clean and neat. Bathroom was fairly small. Check in was a breeze. We went to the hotel bar for a drink before going to dinner. It has very large windows with a nice view of the resort. Staff was very friendly. Jack and Coke and a glass of Pinot Grigio was $14. Large wooden floor in the center of the room, very odd, should maybe have had tables placed over it if it is a dance floor for late nite. We used the whirlpool tub and it was very nice. Pool area is very clean and plenty warm. Outdoor pool was nowhere ready for use. Night was very quiet and we got a good nights sleep. It is an older resort, and could use updating, but it is nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews I had read! Also the Lakeview Grille- I completed a review for our breakfast. Very good!!! Only 5 minutes past downtown L.G.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my husband and my first time in Lake Geneva. It's a charming town with some beautiful scenery. Geneva Ridge offers some great views of Lake Como.

They have a new patio area that will be great to use once it finally warms up. There's a firepit area and what looks like an outdoor bar area for the warmer months. The indoor bar felt a little divey but it was comfortable. My husband and I enjoyed some drinks on the couches by the fireplace. The staff was friendly that evening.

The room itself was nice. It was definitely clean. The beds were pretty comfortable though the blankets weren't heavy enough for my liking. I'm pretty sure though that if I had asked for an additional blanket they would have brought me one (there were no extras in the room). The shower was awesome....nice and hot and big! I will say that the one thing that was a little bit of an inconvenience was that there wasn't a second mirror in the room. It's honestly not a big deal, but it did make getting ready in the mornings or evenings inconvenient since I'd have to wait for my husband to shower and the bathroom to defog. Even just a small makeup mirror on the desk would be helpful.

Since we were there with part of a group, we ate the food that was catered for us from the resort. It was all pretty good...breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not sure what the food would be like if we ordered it ourselves but I feel like it'd be comparable. I'd probably go into the town though and try out one of the many charming restaurants there.

Finally, the hotel is about a 5-10 minute drive from downtown Lake Geneva. It's a super quick and easy trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Lake Como.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
tbaior, General Manager at Geneva Ridge Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to say the weather has improved and Spring is definitely upon us. We will be opening Bar 55 on our recently renovated patio on May 8th. We look forward to seeing you soon. - Todd Baior, General Manager
South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for an extended weekend getaway with my sweetie. Very accomodating facility from the staff to the amenities. Very updated facility with a great view of the lake. All of the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful...even when we were locked out of our room, they compensated us with free drinks at the bar. Would come back if it was not for the rude locals in Lake Geneva!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We visited Geneva Ridge resort several hours in advance of our scheduled spa treatments so that we could look around and decide if we might want to stay there in the future.

We arrived at the lobby, which was not at all intuitive or attractive. Your line of sight lead directly into the bar, with what appeared to be the 'front desk' off to the right and some wacky, disjointed seating areas off to the left. It didn't feel welcoming or comfortable in any way.

We went to the bar for a drink. The wine and beer selection was good, and the servers were nice and efficient. The set up of the bar was really poorly planned, with the bar and most of the seating looking away from the windows and the view of Lake Como and a big 'hole' in the middle for a dance floor that was clearly not used during the daytime and could have been used for more tables. Most of the tables near the bar were high, uncomfortable two tops. Again, just really poorly planned. Other staff kept coming in and having private conversations amongst themselves within earshot of guests, which was just awkward. While at the bar we met several other patrons who didn't have much good to say about the accommodations.

When we made our spa reservations we specifically noted that we weren't staying at the property (I wouldn't call it a resort!) Having not received any specific instructions, we assumed it would be easy to find, however, even the staff didn't know where it was or how to get to it! After a few different directions from different staff, we made our way down a dark and very depressing hallway towards the pool. Eureka! Signs that said 'spa' pointed at the pool area! Unfortunately, the pool required a key to enter, so we went outside to walk around the building but didn't find a single door open. Luckily we did manage to flag down a staff person who let us in and sort of pointed us to the spa, which was located in another dark and depressing hallway.

This was easily the most poorly run spa I have EVER visited. There was one person working the desk. She had to walk people to their appointments and show them around, so when we arrived the desk was completely unmanned for what seemed like forever. In the mean time, we noticed that the front desk area was completely overrun with crap strewn everywhere. Behind the desk area was a little room (we later learned this was the mani/pedi area) that appeared to be full of staff who were throwing things and just generally being loud and obnoxious.

The 'lobby' area of the spa consisted of four chairs, one sat on each side of a pole, an area with some sort of beverages and what looked to be a storage area with the door opened. It was the farthest thing from tranquil and relaxing that I've ever endured. It was dingy, unwelcoming, and without a lick of design sense anywhere. There also appeared to be no dress code, or one that was very laxly enforced. Surly staff with tennis shoes and wrinkled clothes and an overall disheveled look sulked around. It was surreal.

We indicated that we arrived early in order to use the steam room, sauna and pool. We were given keys and shown to the locker room, which looked to have been last renovated and/or repaired somewhere around 1982. There was an area that looked like it was for drying your hair/putting on makeup that had some shaving cream and disposable shavers on it. There were two tiny showers with sliding glass doors off the track and a stuck-to-the-wall dispenser of some not so nice hand soap. No shampoo, conditioner, body wash...nothing that you'd expect from any kind of spa. There were two small bathroom stalls with toilets in various states of disrepair and a double sink area with the same soap. In the back was the locker area. You'll have to take my word for it that this area was JUST as impressive as the rest of the locker room. FAR from being relaxed and enjoying myself, this was turning out to be one of the all time worst experiences ever.

The steam room and sauna were right off of the pool, were obviously recently redone and highly enjoyable. There was a washroom facility with more lockers that was much nicer than anything in the spa, and the pool and hot tub were also clean and nice.

We had booked a 90 minute deep tissue couples massage, and by this time I didn't hold out much hope. Thankfully, the therapists were excellent...top notch even. I'm not sure why massage therapists of that caliber would even work in a spa like this, but I assure you that I was SO thankful that they did.

There was one very negative part to the massage, though, and that was that a group of people (staff?) gathered right outside the room and proceeded to laugh and yell for at least half of the massage. As good as the therapists were, it was totally distracting and awful.

I don't know what place the other reviewers are going to and writing about, but it bears no resemblance to the place I visited. I would never, under any circumstance visit this property again. It's straight up bleak in almost every way. To those great massage therapists--find a spa worthy of your talent--this isn't it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel was formally, Interlaken. In the past few years many updates have been done. The hotel is beautiful and staffed by very helpful and friendly people. Beautiful views of the lake, Great views from the restaurant of the lake. Great experience, wiil definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Be sure to request "LAKEVIEW" ROOM. I was traveling alone and felt very safe. Nice poo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
South Holland, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Was suppose to spend 3/26 until 3/29 2013 but checked out a day earlier. The Resort didn't have any activities to do on site besides the pool, hot tub, steam room, sauna, or fitness center which is not a big deal. The pool was crowded with little kids all day long. Also the food was pricey and not good, the rooms were average and the best part to the room was the bathroom lol. My spouse and I spent most of our time visiting the other resorts such as Abbey, Grand Geneva and Timber lodge which has tons to do at the resort along. Lake Geneva's scenery was very interesting and I love walking on the beach and visiting the antique shops but that's about all! I'm sure in the summer, Lake Geneva will be a better trip to visit but all in all I would not go back to the Geneva Ridge Resort but will visit Lake Geneva again!!!

Room Tip: Just for the ambiance if you must stay at the Geneva Ridge request the Lakeside View or you'll b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My family and I were looking for a place to have a short getaway not too far from home. Came across a groupon for the Geneva ridge resort for an inexpensive price. The room was very up to date very clean, beds were comfortable. The pool a decent size, TV, DVD player and fridge everything we needed. The only problem we discovered was there were water bugs in our room which we discovered that morning we were leaving not one or two, but 7. When we called the front desk no answer let the phone rings more that 15 times on more than one occasion. When we checked out we notified the front desk of the bugs the receptionist simply apologized, no eye contact what so ever then simply said your all set!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Geneva Ridge Resort? Share your experiences!