“Just ok except for the view and breakfast” 2 of 5 stars

French Country Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   W4190 West End Road, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
illinois
“Just ok except for the view and breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The property needs to be updated badly. Although for the most part it is clean but the rooms need a lot of attention. The bed seemed old as well as the other furniture. The carpet needs to be cleaned and maybe even replaced. We were there in the early spring when it was still cold. Not much to do in Lake Geneva but it was relaxing. I think the best part of this inn is the view of the lake. I wish it was not frozen and can only imagine how pretty it must be in late spring or summer. The breakfast in the morning was good. A sweet lady does it all by herself it seems. She seems to prepare the buffet and is the waitress as well. She should get a raise! Only problem I saw was that the buffet ended at nine in the morning. Much to early for those on vacation. Would I stay again? Probably not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Palatine, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was not a bad place it was just old and dated. The room had a great view with a balcony but the room needed repair and a deep cleaning. The younger staff seemed a little preoccupied with themselves, not overly friendly. We will not be going back here for a week end get away.

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was our first time staying at The French Country Inn and I thought the room was beautiful. We booked a room with a king bed and I was happy that the room had a view of the lake with a balcony. It was a big room and it was very clean. The tub was big and I was happy to see that it was a Jacuzzi. The beds were comfortable too so that was a plus.
We did find out later at night that their was no wi-fi in the room. We were told to walk down to the lobby. We didn't complain though since this was in fact a getaway for us. The person who works in the lobby leaves at 10pm so if you want any room service better do so before that time.
We had the breakfast there. It's from 8am-9am. It's not the greatest breakfast. I had a waffle and it literally crumbled in my mouth once it hit my tongue. The food was bland. They do have cereal and they did have scrambled eggs which was good.
I was happy that the hotel was close by the downtown area.
The place is beautiful and I love the history there. Overall, I loved my experience there. It was clean, quiet, and I got to spend quality time with my partner.

Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our first time at The French Country Inn and we thought it was beautiful. The scenery of the (frozen) lake was beautiful. Love the 'County' atmosphere here. The bed was very comfortable, the sitting area on your patio was cozy. People in the office was very friendly & helpful. Nice selection of jewerly they have for sale, limited thou. Thought the 'Sherry' in the guest sitting room was a nice, relaxing feeling.The breakfast on the other hand .... This is a "Bed & Breakfast" you really need to improve 'big time' on the breakfast part! It's buffet style, but the eggs were cold, potatoes were cold, biscuits were cold but gravy was hot so put that over everything. The lady at front desk did explain to us, (when we checked in) that there wasn't a chef, but they still can make sure the food is hot!!!! With the exception of Breakfast, we had an awesome time!!!! If we ever do come back, we will be eating out for breakfast.

Room Tip: Its so relaxing waking up in the morning & the first thing you see is the lake!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, General Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words- I apologize for the food not being warm enough. I will make sure that this is handled better in the future.

We do hope that you will give us another chance-
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the weekend of 03/01/3 - 03/03/13. I would not stay here again.
The people were very friendly but as far as the room goes I would pass. The room needed many
cosmetic repairs from the cracks in the walls to the cracks in the wainscoting. The sink in the bathroom would not drain. The jacuzzi tube had 4 jets not working. There were stains on the comforter. The included breakfast was not very good and was cold. There was ice damming up on the roof which when it got a little warm poured water down the side of the building and over a entrance. For the money they are charging it is definitely not worth it. We paid winter rates and I can not see anyone paying the summer rated. As a side note the view of the lake was awesome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay- all of your concerns have been addressed. We hope that you will consider joining us again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have stayed at the French Country Inn many times over the past year. Such a cozy romantic place in Lake Geneva with beautiful views of the lake. We have stayed at many of the common hotels in the area, and this is by far our favorite! The rooms are very clean and the staff is very friendly. We love the cozy, country atmosphere and the incredible breakfast that is included. The staff let us borrow games and even gave us a complimentary bottle of wine! The price is very reasonable considering the hot breakfast included and the generosity of the staff. You definitely won't get that kind of hospitality anywhere else in the area.

Room Tip: We love the lofted suites, very spacious and romantic
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, General Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much- I believe I might have met you at breakfast previously. So glad you have been enjoying your stays with us! We hope to see you again soon.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you want a quiet, cozy, and romantic this is the place to be. We could not believe that the rooms exactly like whats on the web site. Breakfast was sooooooooooo good. The weather was beautiful for it to be November in wisconsin this allowed to enjoy the walk downtown area of lake Geneva where we also enjoyed lunch and bought a few items.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to French Country Inn? Share your experiences!