“"we love the French Country Inn"” 4 of 5 stars

French Country Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   W4190 West End Road, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“"we love the French Country Inn"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you want a quiet, cozy, and romantic this is the place to be. We could not believe that the rooms exactly like whats on the web site. Breakfast was sooooooooooo good. The weather was beautiful for it to be November in wisconsin this allowed to enjoy the walk downtown area of lake Geneva where we also enjoyed lunch and bought a few items.

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I celebrated our one year anniversary at this charming bed and breakfast. It is close to Lake Geneva, and many of the rooms look out onto Lake Como. The deluxe rooms have two gas fire places and a whirlpool. The rooms (and beds) are clean and very comfortable. The Inn has some intriguing history - including flooring in the lobby from the Chicago World's Fair in the late 1800s. The staff was professional, helpful, and very efficient. My boyfriend and I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much- we loved having you here! Come back soon.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

On our second or third visit-this time over Christmas in 2012 we upgraded to a very nice king suite with fireplace and whirlpool on the frozen lake. It was pleasant,nicely decorated but definately needed some attention. The carpet needed cleaning and stretching( and I believe replacement). The bed mattress was very soft and needed updating.The breakfast buffet ended at 9:00,curious for a resort -and the external lights bordering the walkway from the parking lot only came on during the day, which we mentioned the first day, but were never fixed by day 4 of our stay.Daily salt in the car park and walk ways might have assured our safer trek back and forth to our suite.
As the staffing was unavailable on Christmas day-understandable-extra linens,toweling and soaps as well as breakfast items were delivered a day early, which we thought a nice touch.
We paid well for a very nice experience, but felt that proprietary attention to the facility was absent.The Inn is nice but needs preventative maintenance and a bit more TLC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here in fall, 2012 for a late fall weekend & were pleased with our room, lake view, and the breakfast. The resort restaurant had closed that week & it was unfortunate, but we went to Lake Geneva to eat, shop, and walk the lake path. The other reviews are correct that the wireless doesn't work & our fireplace had troubles operating, but the staff were very friendly & it was a relaxing & restful place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
You are correct the internet doesn't carry to all of the rooms. Most of our guests come here to get away from it all. We in no way want to represent ourselves as a "high-tech" establishment. We provide excellent customer service in a beautiful, country, lakeside setting.

All of our fireplaces are in working order- (we shut some off in the summer months). Maybe the fireplaces in question are the french heaters which don't actually provide a full flame. It really is just a heater. All guestrooms are also equipped with a PTAC unit that provides heat and air-conditioning.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here to be close to family during a holiday visit. I would have much preferred to visit the Inn during summer since the lake is so beautiful and the weather of course quite a bit warmer! When I arrived, I was assigned a room with a lake view, but there was literally no wireless signal in my room. The travel site where I pre-purchased the room clearly lists "Complimentary wireless internet in rooms", so I was not happy with this. The management stated that the wireless signal is not guaranteed to reach all the rooms - in direct conflict with what I had read. To their credit, they put me in the upgraded wing where the wireless router is downstairs from my room and the signal was able to reach. I also adjusted the antenna on the wireless router to better reach the 2nd floor. I think this hotel has very little knowledge about networking since the coverage was so spotty and the network name was not even changed to something informative like "frenchcountry" and instead had the default router name of "Zyxel".
The rooms are spacious and quaint. Bigger tubs are nice too and the heater worked well (It was 20F outside during my visit). I thought the hotel was a bit stingy on amenities. The bath was on a second floor but there were no bath amenities there (only on main floor of room). The bed was mediocre - a little soft in my opinion. In general, the rooms were a bit tired looking and dated. They were clean at least. The parking lot was kind of dangerous with ice patches after the storm the day before I arrived. It did get better after the first day and I did see someone spreading salt. The weekend breakfast was really not good at all, offering coffee/juice and some scrambled eggs and oatmeal. The bacon tasted a bit rancid and was not edible. The link sausage was ok. The baked goods were not good quality. So, all in all, the breakfast was not a selling point. Hotel was quiet although I think during my visit, the occupancy was low - perhaps at 30% or so.
The French Country Inn is in a nice location and could be quite good, but it appears to be a place that could use more attention and has seen better days in the past..

Room Tip: Ask for room that has wireless signal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have stayed at least six times for our anniversary over the years and have always enjoyed it. When we checked in on Nov 28 we found out that the restaurant had been closed (which is one of the main reasons we stayed there). We were told that they sent out an email, but we never received one nor did another couple we talked to. The room is always nice, but could definitely use some updating. The breakfast in the morning was worse than something you'd find at a Super 8. I realize that it was a continental breakfast and not a full one, but it was really bad. The breads were white and wheat, and horrible at that. No inspiration or attempt to make the meager buffet look appealing. When I asked if I could get some milk heated for my coffee I was told that they didn't have a microwave! Fifteen minutes later they said they found one. By that time, I was done with coffee (which was weak & undrinkable anyway). I think for the money, one would do better somewhere else. It's too bad because we always loved the place, but perhaps it's under new management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Mr. & Mrs. Brown,

We had met in the lobby shortly after your arrival,when I was going over local dining options in the area. We sat in the parlor during tea & sherry and you said everything was fine and then left abruptly, (I am not sure why). We did indeed send out e-mails to all of our arrivals in regards to the restaurant closing (much to our surprise) as well as on the restaurant's website and ours.

Yes, I am a new manager here and have altered the continental breakfast to include hard boiled eggs (protein), we generally have more than 1 choice of pastry. I added the toaster as well as 2 types of sandwich bread and bagels or english muffins and waffles and fruit.

The breakfast includes ( and always has) asst. yogurts, granola, juices, coffee, hot cocoa and cold cereals.

We had you in a luxury lakefront room at an extremely fair price. (less than a standard room).

Maybe you would like to contact me to let me know what we could have done to make your stay more enjoyable.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We loved this hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Great view of lake and the breakfast Buffett was delicious. We will be going back. Only draw back was the restaurant and rooms were a little pricey.

• Stayed November 2012
lodginggal, General Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us! I am so glad that you had a great stay. We hope to see you again soon. I hope you are on our email list for specials that we provide our repeat guests. If not give us a call at 262-245-5220 to get on the list. Hope to see you soon!

All My Best-

Been to French Country Inn? Share your experiences!