“we like the French Country Inn, but” 4 of 5 stars

French Country Inn
W4190 West End Road, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“we like the French Country Inn, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

On our second or third visit-this time over Christmas in 2012 we upgraded to a very nice king suite with fireplace and whirlpool on the frozen lake. It was pleasant,nicely decorated but definately needed some attention. The carpet needed cleaning and stretching( and I believe replacement). The bed mattress was very soft and needed updating.The breakfast buffet ended at 9:00,curious for a resort -and the external lights bordering the walkway from the parking lot only came on during the day, which we mentioned the first day, but were never fixed by day 4 of our stay.Daily salt in the car park and walk ways might have assured our safer trek back and forth to our suite.
As the staffing was unavailable on Christmas day-understandable-extra linens,toweling and soaps as well as breakfast items were delivered a day early, which we thought a nice touch.
We paid well for a very nice experience, but felt that proprietary attention to the facility was absent.The Inn is nice but needs preventative maintenance and a bit more TLC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here in fall, 2012 for a late fall weekend & were pleased with our room, lake view, and the breakfast. The resort restaurant had closed that week & it was unfortunate, but we went to Lake Geneva to eat, shop, and walk the lake path. The other reviews are correct that the wireless doesn't work & our fireplace had troubles operating, but the staff were very friendly & it was a relaxing & restful place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
You are correct the internet doesn't carry to all of the rooms. Most of our guests come here to get away from it all. We in no way want to represent ourselves as a "high-tech" establishment. We provide excellent customer service in a beautiful, country, lakeside setting.

All of our fireplaces are in working order- (we shut some off in the summer months). Maybe the fireplaces in question are the french heaters which don't actually provide a full flame. It really is just a heater. All guestrooms are also equipped with a PTAC unit that provides heat and air-conditioning.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here to be close to family during a holiday visit. I would have much preferred to visit the Inn during summer since the lake is so beautiful and the weather of course quite a bit warmer! When I arrived, I was assigned a room with a lake view, but there was literally no wireless signal in my room. The travel site where I pre-purchased the room clearly lists "Complimentary wireless internet in rooms", so I was not happy with this. The management stated that the wireless signal is not guaranteed to reach all the rooms - in direct conflict with what I had read. To their credit, they put me in the upgraded wing where the wireless router is downstairs from my room and the signal was able to reach. I also adjusted the antenna on the wireless router to better reach the 2nd floor. I think this hotel has very little knowledge about networking since the coverage was so spotty and the network name was not even changed to something informative like "frenchcountry" and instead had the default router name of "Zyxel".
The rooms are spacious and quaint. Bigger tubs are nice too and the heater worked well (It was 20F outside during my visit). I thought the hotel was a bit stingy on amenities. The bath was on a second floor but there were no bath amenities there (only on main floor of room). The bed was mediocre - a little soft in my opinion. In general, the rooms were a bit tired looking and dated. They were clean at least. The parking lot was kind of dangerous with ice patches after the storm the day before I arrived. It did get better after the first day and I did see someone spreading salt. The weekend breakfast was really not good at all, offering coffee/juice and some scrambled eggs and oatmeal. The bacon tasted a bit rancid and was not edible. The link sausage was ok. The baked goods were not good quality. So, all in all, the breakfast was not a selling point. Hotel was quiet although I think during my visit, the occupancy was low - perhaps at 30% or so.
The French Country Inn is in a nice location and could be quite good, but it appears to be a place that could use more attention and has seen better days in the past..

Room Tip: Ask for room that has wireless signal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have stayed at least six times for our anniversary over the years and have always enjoyed it. When we checked in on Nov 28 we found out that the restaurant had been closed (which is one of the main reasons we stayed there). We were told that they sent out an email, but we never received one nor did another couple we talked to. The room is always nice, but could definitely use some updating. The breakfast in the morning was worse than something you'd find at a Super 8. I realize that it was a continental breakfast and not a full one, but it was really bad. The breads were white and wheat, and horrible at that. No inspiration or attempt to make the meager buffet look appealing. When I asked if I could get some milk heated for my coffee I was told that they didn't have a microwave! Fifteen minutes later they said they found one. By that time, I was done with coffee (which was weak & undrinkable anyway). I think for the money, one would do better somewhere else. It's too bad because we always loved the place, but perhaps it's under new management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Mr. & Mrs. Brown,

We had met in the lobby shortly after your arrival,when I was going over local dining options in the area. We sat in the parlor during tea & sherry and you said everything was fine and then left abruptly, (I am not sure why). We did indeed send out e-mails to all of our arrivals in regards to the restaurant closing (much to our surprise) as well as on the restaurant's website and ours.

Yes, I am a new manager here and have altered the continental breakfast to include hard boiled eggs (protein), we generally have more than 1 choice of pastry. I added the toaster as well as 2 types of sandwich bread and bagels or english muffins and waffles and fruit.

The breakfast includes ( and always has) asst. yogurts, granola, juices, coffee, hot cocoa and cold cereals.

We had you in a luxury lakefront room at an extremely fair price. (less than a standard room).

Maybe you would like to contact me to let me know what we could have done to make your stay more enjoyable.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We loved this hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Great view of lake and the breakfast Buffett was delicious. We will be going back. Only draw back was the restaurant and rooms were a little pricey.

• Stayed November 2012
lodginggal, General Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us! I am so glad that you had a great stay. We hope to see you again soon. I hope you are on our email list for specials that we provide our repeat guests. If not give us a call at 262-245-5220 to get on the list. Hope to see you soon!

All My Best-
Coal City, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I just spent our anniversary weekend here. It was lovely, tucked away in the woods, with our room looking directly out onto Lake Como through French doors. The room was simple, clean and just what we needed. The French heater was a nice touch, although at times, the room could get quite warm even with the heater turned way down. So, we popped on the AC and cooled it off! So glad there was a ceiling fan in our room, too. Our jetted two person tub was just ok; the amount of air could not be adjusted as the knob was quite frozen. The rooms were quiet (except for the occasional gunfire from duck hunters on the lake in the early morning hours....yeesh) The staff was helpful and kind. Dinner at "Wakefields'" which is not owned by the FCI, was barely marginal. It was pricey, and the food was so-so. Service was good, though. We ordered a chocolate dessert which came out frozen, and freezer burned. I had ordered tea, and plain old Lipton tea was served. Breakfast, which is included, is hot on weekends and continental on weekdays. Breakfast wasn't bad. We really like that this hotel is on Lake Como - such a nice location - but the restaurant needs to come up to standards, if they are going to continue to charge what they do. Even though the restaurant isn't owned by the hotel, it's associated with it and therefore related to any bad press. It's nice that it's only a short walk to a restaurant, if you don't feel like driving into downtown, but not for the kind of experience we had. Yes, as others have said, the hotel needs a bit of updating and some maintenance; the showers were rather a drizzle than a shower, and the water is infused with alot of air, which makes it effervesce - strange. It was too cold to spend too much time outdoors, but the outside looked like it could have been a nice place to be - crumbling benches and all. Overall, it was a nice place, but had its issues.

Room Tip: We were in an end unit, which was quiet, until people tromped up the adjoining stairs. We would try...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
lodginggal, General Manager at French Country Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Karla,

I am sorry about your experience at Wakefield's. Yes, you are correct, it is indeed run by another entity. We understand that any part of your stay that is unpleasant certainly effects your whole experience here at the Inn. I will discuss your comments with the owner of the restaurant.

Our water is softened and therefore may feel "different" from the water that you have at home.

Unfortunately, we have begun hunting season in the county. ( I believe it was pheasant during your stay with us). Sometimes this unfamiliar sound can be jarring and I aplogize for that.

If there is ever anything that I can help you with, if you choose to return, please contact me at 262-245-5220. I would be pleased to help you make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Lake Villa, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed for one night. Was awesome. Room very clean. Staff very friendly. Rained so we weren't outside much, which was fine, since we were in the L'Auberge Luxury Room. Hot Tube so cool, faces Lake Como, with huge windows. Resturant which is not owned by FCI was awesome. Bar had live 2 man band, which was cool. Played Buffet/Mellencamp.....all ages. Bartender Vince was Awesome. Definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to French Country Inn? Share your experiences!