“Worse than camping!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Monroe
“Worse than camping!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were booked into the closest room near the pool, on the bottom level, and had ants crawling all over the kitchen cupboards, floor and counters. I called the front desk and requested housekeeping however nobody showed up. We went out to the pool but the outside pool was closed due to weather-we wouldn't have minded getting wet when we were already swimming. After a couple of hours we figured we'd make it back to go out to drive around the lake and upon returning the ants had multiplied; once again called front desk and asked for them to be taken care of. We then aat at the restaurant in the motel, and once again returned to our room to find more ants all over the kitchenette so we called the front desk for the third time. While waiting for room service at 11:45 at night, the fire alarm sounds off and we called the front desk to see if we are to evacuate and were advised the hotel was to be evacuated until the fire department cleared the hotel safe. At 1:00 PM we are back in our infested room, and finally able to get a relaxing night of sleep. I believe we last saw the clock time of 3:55 AM before we dosed off. The next morning we called the front desk spoke with the manager who was going to come down to see the ants however we forgot to remove the do not disturb sign since we were granted a late checkout due to our disturbed night of sleep. I did stop at the front desk while checking out and was informed they did not want to spray for ants while the room was occupied. Could they not have offered a better room? We did receive a Gift certificate from the manager which is half the price of what we paid for our meal while we stayed there. I do not believe that we will use this certificate, as it is not worth our time of driving 1 1/2 hours to go out to eat at a place where we have nothing but terrible memories of a horrible getaway which we had purchased through Groupon.

Room Tip: Do not get a ground floor room, they definately have an ant problem.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experiences. We want to apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. Any disturbances experienced by our guests are taken seriously. My executive management team has immediately addressed your concerns. We do everything we can to ensure our customers have a memorable experience with us. We regret that we did not meet your expectations, and are hoping that the gift certificate that was provided to you at check-out will give us another opportunity to regain your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Bryan, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Myself, my wife and partners just stayed at the Cove last weekend. We could not believe the way the night staff at the desk went out of their way to help us. The night manager on Friday(can't remember name) and then Beth & Krysta on Sat night "Unbelievable" the way they helped out.
We are looking forward to our stay their next year during the Antique Boat Show weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful response in reference to your stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As we strive to meet each guest’s expectations, it is feedback like yours, which allows us to set new initiatives for customer service and take pride in our customer service and accommodations. I will be sure to pass your complements to my staff. Thank you for your business and we look forward to having you back in the near future.

Tony Cruz
Frankfort, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

After reading all the reviews, I was skeptical about staying at this hotel. I used a groupon for an Anchor Suite. Upon arrival, I requested a king bed on an upper floor overlooking the pool. I also asked for a room that had been updated, since some of the negative reviews said the rooms were old and outdated. The young ladies at the front desk told me it was no problem and to return at check-in time which was 3 p.m.. She gave me a parking pass so I could leave my car in their lot and walk around town until the room was ready. When I returned, I was given a room on the third floor overlooking the pool as requested. The room was clean, modern, and the carpeting looked like new. Everything in the room was in fine working order. My wife and I spent three nights and used both the indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs. We always had plenty of hot water for baths and showers. I see nothing wrong with this facility, so sometimes you have to "SEE FOR YOURSELF" before relying on others. I would gladly return!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a room that suits your needs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We appreciate your ability to overlook some of our reviews and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Tony Cruz
Niles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We just get back from the ''Cove of the lake Geneva'', we spent 3 night and 4 days, clean and big beauitful suite with everything you will need for daily living, clean swimming pool, great customer services, walking distance to the most restaurants and Beach. The only thing they Don't offer is a free breakfast there is No free breakfast other than that the place is perect for couple or family vacations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was our pleasure to assist you during your stay. We do not provide a complimentary continental breakfast, but it is something that we are currently looking into. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back at The Cove in the near future!!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Cove for 2 nights in a suite since there was 6 of us. It was so out-dated! The room didn't even have a safe!?Every picture on the wall was crooked, carpet was so stained & dirty we all wore socks! The couch was filled with stains! 2 women had to sleep on the pull-out couch & the mattress was so thin, you felt every spring! The website is wrong, they only have a few "updated" rooms. The suites are old, maybe early 80's? Hallways of the hotel were filthy, lights broken in hall, holes in walls, stains on carpet! Also, the air condtioner unit in the wall sounds like a jet taking off! All around, it was a bad stay. I was embarrassed that "us girls" stayed somewhere like that. We had a good weekend of shopping, it was such a shame that the hotel & rooms were so disappointing! I will never go back again, neither will my friends!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience your experience may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I booked the hotel due to the location and the boat trailer parking lot that we had used last year. After I called and the Front Desk told me they don't do that any more I sent an email to their web site. They responded by telling me to park in the City lot. The City lot gives tickets for parking trailers with vessels on them. I sent an email to the president of the management company to advise him of the horrible business decision to turn guest away with trailers. His response was the Operations Manager would contact me. Six days later after I canceled my reservation the GM Tony Cruz contacts me. He tells me some [--] about how he has increased the staffing and his employees need a place to park. I rebooked my trip to stay there. I check in and tell the Front Desk the GM stated I would be allowed to park in his spot. The Front Desk said that I could park in the normal lot by the Tennis Courts. After I checked in and my Wife and I got settled in the room we went and looked at the Extra Lot to see ALL the employees cars. Here is where the LIES come. The lot had about 8 cars and a PWC trailer with Jetskis on it. I knew I had been lied to by the GM. We spent 2 nights at the property and NEVER saw the Extra Lot have a lot of cars in it day or night. I don't like being lied to! I have included photos to prove my point. The photos were taken in the day time at check out time when I would guess the most staff is on duty cleaning rooms.
For a company not to provide a service to it's guest is a BAD idea! Why would the GM LIE to me? Why would I be told to park in the City Lot where I would get a ticket? Why would the company not provide parking for trailers when your the property is on the Lake and a portion of it's revenue is from boaters? Why is the GM still employed? Maybe the TV show Hotel Impossible should go there and teach them how to run a hotel properly. The management company should be embarrassed for running a property this way!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
In regards to our phone conversation back on 7/24/2013.
I explained to you that I would allow you to park your trailer because I believed it would not effect the parking concerns of other guests and our owners staying at the hotel. We do not allow trailer parking at the hotel, but because of some communication issues I granted your request. I wanted to show you how much we appreciate your business. Regardless of the status of the parking lot I must be consistent with all guests and policies in regards to boat or trailer parking. It is unfortunate that after granting your requests and making such accommodations, that you were still unsatisfied. I request for you to contact me directly so that I may offer my apologies. Allow me the opportunity to recover your experience at my hotel. I appreciate your business and look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you!
midsouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I loved the room, very nice location, however I feel charging extra for a pool that I will not use, an Internet I already have, and parking in the hotel is below the belt!! Be ready to be charged as soon as you get there for that. The rooms have a bed as soon as you walk in, no wall from the rest of the room other then a niche. If that bothers you because others are traveling with you then you need to have separate rooms. Two TVs, jacuzzis in the bathroom, full kitchen (smallish but not kitchenette) a bar with 4 stools and a table that has four chairs, fireplace and a sleeper couch.
We can walk to everything downtown and the Marina is right there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind remarks, it was our pleasure to assist you during your stay at The Cove.

With regards to our Resort Fee, this fee was implemented to cover things like parking, internet, unlimited local phone calls, our business center, and pool amenities. We also provide an array of activities for the whole family; the majority of these activities are complimentary. We apologize that you did not have the opportunity to enjoy any of the services that the hotel provides.

We appreciate your business and welcome you to visit us again soon!