“pleasently surprised.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Chicago, Illinois
“pleasently surprised.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Read the reviews over the years and thought this was going to be a big gamble. But the last minute change of plans gave us no choice but to book our anniversary night at this hotel. the place was great, rooms clean and larger (Studio suite) then most rooms offered by more expensive hotels. Pool was great and the employees and manager also very polite. Was so impressed I booked two more nights to go back, upon check out. take another look. Also a stones throw from where you want to be, downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony C, Front Office Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
On behalf of the hotel we thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your experience on your recent visit to THE COVE. We are pleased you were pleasantly surprised!!! We here at The Cove prides ourselves on customer service and look forward to your return on your future reservation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked an Anchor Suite at the Cove through a Groupon for Father's Day weekend. The price, booking and online information seemed to be too good to be true. Upon arrival, our check in was swift and friendly. We were able to check in a few hours early, even if the room wasn't ready they offered to allow us access to parking and the pool while we waited. Once we figured out which door to enter in (there are several doors to enter once you have a key and often parking can happen closer than the front desk) we opened the door to the room and were shocked.

The room was huge, clean and decorated unlike other hotels (safari themed). A large bed with its own tv, a large bathroom with a Jacuzzi/shower combo, a kitchen complete with fridge, sink, stove top, microwave, dishwasher (AND DISHES!), followed by a living room area with a tv and sliding door to the patio facing the pool area. We were pleasantly shocked and wished we had booked the room for more nights.

As a family of three (with a baby) the space was more than enough. It would be great for a family up to 6 if the kids are okay sharing the pull out couch, or even a group of 2-4 adults sharing beds. There were plenty of towels and even extra bedding in the closet. Noise-wise, we didn't really hear anything disruptive. The water from another room ran right behind the headboard but it wasn't super unusual for a hotel room. They had a live musician at the pool area that was a bit loud but our room was right there so again, not super unusual.

The pool area is pretty basic but not super crowded. We brought our infant into both pools and only got splashed once (which is a pretty big deal if you have ever tried to swim with a baby at a public pool). The lifeguards were present but not super involved so be sure to keep an eye on your kids just in case. The bar area is interesting. The bartender was overly friendly and we were able to use a 2 free drink ticket given to us at check-in for two mixed drinks by the pool.

The hotel location is great because you can walk everywhere. We walked around downtown and never drove once since the weather was beautiful. The beach and boat launch are just across the street but there are fees to use them.

We will definitely be returning, especially if we can get a great deal again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tony C, Sales Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful response in reference to your stay at The Cove of Lake Geneva!

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As we strive to meet each guest’s expectations, it is feedback like yours, the reason we take pride in our customer service and accommodations.

We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back at The Cove!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The overall experience at the cove was amazing. I was here with a friend that is a owner. The barista was very polite and the cabana girls were also great, but a worker by the name of Lexi was beyond rude. And she was also ignorant to fellow employees. I had to wait for my latte at espresso bar because she was making herself a coffee and left a mess for the barista. The barista did give me a complementary coffee for inconve. Which i appreciated. Otherwise wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent visit to The Cove of Lake Geneva. I greatly apologize on behalf of the unprofessional customer services you received at the Alterra Bar during your stay. The Cove employees strive to create a wonderful guest experience in all areas of the hotel, and value your business and your feedback. I will follow up on your concerns and ensure this is not repeated in the future. I am happy that your overall experience was amazing and look forward seeing you in the future. Thank you!
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed again at this hotel on June 6 and 7, this will be our 9th year coming to this facility. When we arrived our room was not available which was no problem because we wanted to walk around in town anyway. When we returned at 2:00pm our Bella Loft Suite was available, we just love this room if there are only 2 of us. It is nice not to have someone above you make noise. Check in was a breeze as always. We went down to the lobby bar on Friday evening and enjoyed some drinks with April (bartender) she was very nice and enjoyed talking with her. Only thing that can be improved would be some cleaning to carpeting and painting done. It was noisy on Friday night around 2:00am due to bachlorette parties. Management needs to address the noise issues as not every one is there to party, we like to come for some quiet and relaxing time. Enjoyed the new Tiki Bar drink menu, prices are more reasonable than last year. Always enjoy the music by the pool, not many people out that day but still enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our spacious, well appointed, suites and that our staff was able to make your stay most enjoyable. We have new security personal on property to help control the noise issues you expressed. Thanks again for taking the time to post your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the future! Enjoy your summer!
Kenosha, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had such bad customer service at the hotel and I did not even stay there. The front desk is horrible!!! Rude, unpleasant, and make you feel very unwelcome. I have never wrote a bad reveiw before on a place, but this just made me because the service was just that made. I am getting married and was looking at hotel accomdations. The front desk front desk was so rude to me and my mom that I will not be back there again or even allow my guests to stay there. I could not believe how rude and unproffesional they were. Not only to me and my mom, but even to this older couple in their 70s or 80s that was there by the front desk as well that was asking them questions. I believe they were guests at the hotel. The first time that I was there as well to receive contact information of the sales manager to block my rooms, the front desk girl was not that pleasant either. I am just very astonished on how such a hospitality place can have such poor staffing. I went to all the other top hotels downtown and received wonderful service from all plus got to look at all the room options available and the whole hotel. The other hotels were so nice and helped with all my questions that they could answer and giving me their sales manager information on top of it. The two front desk girls would not even allow me to look at any of the facility or look at the rooms. I came back again about an hour after just to ask a simple question about the rooms and to see if I could look at a room. They told me to come back at 2pm and I could look at a room or two. I went back at 2pm and they said I could not look at a room and to come back in the middle of the week. I was very upset and they were not even willing to accomadate me in anyway or even be able to assist me.
Horrible, Horrible, Horrible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Tony C, Front Office Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for bringing this matter our attention. This past weekend the hotel was sold out. On Sunday morning when all our guests are checking out & also preparing for our check-ins at 3pm it’s very hard to promise a room prior to 3:00pm on a sold out night the evening before. Our check in time is @ 3pm for our arriving guests for the day that we guarantee the room ready by 3:00pm. This allows our staff to prepare the suites prior to any arrivalsl and services stay overs. I would like to offer you a personal tour of the property to all of our 7 types of suite for you to review for your upcoming event. We can set up an appointment that works with your schedule give me a call at 262 249 9461 x 181
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at the Cove because there was a deal on one of the online sites. This hotel is a bit dated. It rents as a time share unit with a minimal kitchen and a hotel sized room. There was nothing wrong with it, but this is not luxury accommodations to say the least. The TV was small, the bed was a bit old, and the kitchen was really a waste of time. But the location is great, right on the lake in Lake Geneva. I would stay here again, though it's similar in quality to a nice Motel 6.

Room Tip: Lake view is great if you can get it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Since the change in management at the hotel in late 2012, the owners and the management company have working together to make some upgrades to the hotel. New bedding package, new linen services for our guest rooms, upgraded in-room guest amenities, higher wireless internet speeds, Alterra Coffee bar in our lobby, and owners units upgrade, is just a small taste of what to come. Visit us again soon and give us opportunity to show you more that The Cove has to offer. We appreciate your business and thank you for your comments.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I was planning to spend the night with my girls at the Cove of lake Geneva. I got a deal through groupon and wanted to go for my 19th Birthday. When they told me I had to be 21 to check in the hotel I asked to see the manager and he was nothing but RUDE. He told me to leave his hotel, said he didn't care what happened from there but that I should leave. (My mother, who is obviously over 21, was willing to come stay at the hotel as well, because she was local enough, and as I mentioned this to the lady at the counter she told me "No, we wont check you into our hotel" Happy birthday to me?
The New General manager, Tony, refused to help my mom cancel her other ($1,000+ worth of) Hotel rooms after this disappointment. she had to do it online.

I get it, I'm mature for my age as a 19 year old, but This man is so immature. Unless tony leaves, My family and I wont ever come back!

Room Tip: Rooms at the Hotel next door are just as nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Tony C, General Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
It clearly states in the Groupon you purchased that you must be 21 or older to check in. It also states on the Groupon that a 4-day cancellation notice is required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable. In regards to your future reservation that you made through a Third party. The reservation must be canceled through that third party you booked your reservations with. I have received the cancellation request from your third party provider and have cancelled your reservation on our system. It is my duty as the General Manager to enforce the policies and producers of this hotel to be consistent with all my guests, to protect my hotel and owners assists. Thank you!

Been to Cove of Lake Geneva? Share your experiences!