“Nice place with small children” 4 of 5 stars

Cove of Lake Geneva
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Center St, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #12 of 14 hotels in Lake Geneva
Elgin, Illinois
“Nice place with small children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

stayed for a weekend had a great time love the pool for the small kids.
The hotel was in walkimg distance to town and all the shops across the street from the lake walked it all great location.
will go back

Room Tip: We had a room that over looked the pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Paula H, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our largest indoor pool area that Lake Geneva has to offer. It is a great spot to come with children of all ages and I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our walk to everything Lake Geneva has to offer location. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I went to the Cove in Lake Geneva for our 16th wedding anniversary. The first night our two children stayed with us and slept on the sleeper sofa. My daughter who is 7 said it was not very comfortable. Our bed was fine, but it is right by the door, thank goodness we always bring a white noise machine with us so it did cover any hallway noise. The kitchen was clean and we did like having a fridge and microwave. The pool was nice, the hot tub was a little cool, but the maintenance man was working on it. The sauna didn't even get warm. I used the ladies restroom in the pool area and there were 3 stalls, 2 had signs on them that they were out of order. The staff was extremely nice.
We went here because we bought a groupon. There must have been a problem with a room on the 3rd floor closer to the pool as it had a padlock on it and fans running constantly in it (it did stink up the entire 3rd floor (thank goodness we were on the opposite side of the building otherwise the smell would have been to much for us to even stay there). In the past year we have stayed at Lake Lawn resort and Geneva Ridge with a groupon for the same price, both were better than the Cove and the same price as the Cove. If you were going to enjoy walking around downtown or using the beach the Cove would be nice for that as it is very close to shops, restaurants, and the beach, but it was January in Wisconsin so we were not going to the beach! With all the money being spent to update numerous resorts in the Lake Geneva/Delevan area the Cove needs to do some updating or it will be left in the dust. If I had an option of purchasing a night at the Cove for the same price as Lake Lawn Resort or Geneva Ridge I would not stay at the Cove. It was not bad, but it was not good either.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We take all of our customer feedback extrememly seriously. I am glad to hear that the suite you stayed in was clean and found the staff to be extremely friendly. I apologize that you did not find the layout of your suite to be functional. We do offer suites with a private bedroom with the bedroom in the back of the room away from the door, which may be helpful if you choose to stay with us again. Each of our units is individually owned, making the decor of our suites different. We definately could have accomodated you in an updated suite has we known that you found your suite to be dated. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night. We were in a room on the first floor. It just seemed like a room from the 80's. It was clean but the kitchen cabinets where outdated, the bathroom did not have soap, the shower was weak and really loud, the bed had one of those waterproof matress pads that mad a crinkle noise every time you moved. I called the maintainence man as the fireplace bottom was pulled out and didn't seem to work. He came and said the wires were not connected. The hallways were poorly lit. Hopefully new management will force the owners to upgrade because it is in a great location.

Room Tip: ask front desk which rooms have been updated.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I apologize that you found your suite to be dated, but I am happy to hear that it was clean. I apologize that you did not have soap in your bathroom as we do supply it as a guest amenity in each suite. I hope that you made us aware, so that we could get some delivered promplty. I also apologize for the condition that your fireplace was in when you arrived in your suite, but am glad to hear that maintenance took care of it immediately. We will be pushing the unit owners to updated their units as they can and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Verona, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and I stayed the weekend after Christmas! We had a great time! Our room was clean and fresh, we had a updated one on 4th floor! The new management is doing a great job getting things running smoothly again! The pool was warm and my kids spent ours swimming! The hotel was alive and full of families enjoying the holidays! We love this location because we can walk to everything and having a great restaurant Sprechers attached is a bonus. The staff was friendly and helpful. Looking for a fun fmaily friendly place or a getaway for 2 I highly suggest a stop at the Cove!

Room Tip: Ask for a updated room. 406 is poolside, updated and larger than most with laundry and full range/ov...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva! I am excited to hear that your family was able to enjoy Lake Geneva's largest indoor pool and our amazing walk to everything Lake Geneva has to offer location. We pride ourselves on our spacious, well appointed suites and are glad you found your suite clean and fresh upon arrival. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Waukegan, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family & I stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend with a Groupon. Note to The Cove staff, just because people are using a Groupon, don't treat them like they are 2nd class guests. Based on other reviews, the rooms are of varying quality because people own the rooms. The rooms we were in was in desperate need of a makeover. The mattresses were horrible all 3 beds (queen, king & couch). The carpet was horribly stained. The downstairs bathroom had hair all over it. We found it odd that none of the garbage cans had liners, yuck.

There was a small coffee pot in the room but had the wrong coffee filter. When we tried to get the correct type, the front desk was rude about it. When housekeeping finally arrived, we were only given one. It was very difficult to get extra. There were 5 coffee drinking adults, one tiny pot wasn't enough. However, there is a Keurig machine in the lobby. Why not leave a couple of free ones in the room & let people purchase additional ones for $.50 or $.75? We had some San Francisco Bay k-cups, but the professional machine doesn't recognize it as a k-cup & eats it.

My niece & nephew loved the indoor swimming pool. The Sprecher's Restaurant was excellent. You can access it from the hotel, but it's not affiliated with The Cove. There's a pizza place down the street that won some award in Italy, but the pizza wasn't anything special.

Room Tip: If you're able to, try & look at the room first. If it's in bad shape, ask for another...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your Thanksgiving break stay at the Cove of Lake Geneva. I apologize if you felt like you were treated like a 2nd class guest. All of our suites are individually owned and are decorated differently. I apologize that the unit you occupied felt dated and unclean. I know that if you would have notified us of your dissatisfation, we would have moved you to a different suite immediately. All of our suites do include a fully equipped kitchen with a twelve cup coffeemaker, so I apologize if you found that coffeemaker to be small for your party. We will provide as much coffee as you need during your stay and I am sorry that you were only brought one coffee filter. I am happy to hear that your enjoyed our large indoor swimming pool as well as the restaurant that adjoins us. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We went over the summer and had a great time. The kids loved the pool, we brought our boat so it was very easy to go on the lake. It is so close to everything so we could walk everywhere. Our room was extremely nice. Our problem was as soon as we got home my husband and daughter started getting very sick and after going to the doctors we found out they contracted a disease that can only be found in contaminated pools or petting zoos which we weren't at so it had to be the pool. After weeks of dealing with it and the county health department being called by our doctor I probably will not be going back.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I am glad to hear that you had an amazing time while you visited and you found your suite to be clean and comfortable. I am sorry to hear that your husband and daughter got sick after leaving us. I have not been made aware of any sicknesses related to the swimming pool at the Cove of Lake Geneva. Any reports would immediately be investigated by the health department and we have not been contacted at all. We test our pools every hour in the summer and every three to four hours in the winter months which is well beyond what the state expects. We take the health of our guests very seriously and we know the importance of having a balance, clear swimming pool. Again, I apologize for your sickness upon departure and hope to see you again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This spot was our choice for a three-day getaway after Christmas. We likes the idea of having a kitchen so we could prepare comfort food and leftovers from the holidays, and then splurge on spas. We were early to check-in, and figured we'd go wander and come back when the room was ready. It was ready so we put our stuff in the room and began our getaway.

This was an ideal space for two and could have comfortably accommodated four with the sofa bed. The kitchen had cooking and eating utensils, dishes & bowls, a full fridge/freezer, electric stove/oven, and dishwasher. That said- if you are planning to use the kitchen bring paper towels, dish soap, a good sponge, and dishwashing detergent.

The TV was sensibly sized in the LR space and had cable and a DVD player. It was wall-mounted above a great gas fireplace. If you don't BYO DVD's, there is a rental kiosk ($3/night) by the front desk. Everything was clean, the place was quiet at night. They have an indoor pool and hot tub. Both were great to use and not over-chlorinated, like some other places.

The beach is literally a block away. It was too cold (December) to swim, but it was still pretty, and a short walk to the downtown as well.

The most frustrating part of our trip was the reservation- which was NOT the fault of anyone at the Cove. We booked with miles from a credit card and the reservation went through twice. The card referred us to a travel site, and the travel site help desk was closed for the weekend. By the time it opened and we were able to cancel one of the reservations, they said we would have to pay a penalty for canceling the reservation within 72 hrs of checkin. We spoke with Paula at the Cove and she took care of everything- she's awesome!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience from your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We pride ourselves on our spacious, well appointed suites and our amazing walk to everything Lake Geneva has to offer location and am glad that you were able to enjoy both amenities as well. I am glad that I was able to assist you in sorting out your double reservation so that you could just relax and enjoy your stay. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Paula Holmes

Been to Cove of Lake Geneva? Share your experiences!