“Had a wonderful time except for what happened after.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Cove of Lake Geneva to your Saves list
Cove of Lake Geneva
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   111 Center St, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #12 of 14 hotels in Lake Geneva
“Had a wonderful time except for what happened after.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We went over the summer and had a great time. The kids loved the pool, we brought our boat so it was very easy to go on the lake. It is so close to everything so we could walk everywhere. Our room was extremely nice. Our problem was as soon as we got home my husband and daughter started getting very sick and after going to the doctors we found out they contracted a disease that can only be found in contaminated pools or petting zoos which we weren't at so it had to be the pool. After weeks of dealing with it and the county health department being called by our doctor I probably will not be going back.

• Stayed August 2012
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I am glad to hear that you had an amazing time while you visited and you found your suite to be clean and comfortable. I am sorry to hear that your husband and daughter got sick after leaving us. I have not been made aware of any sicknesses related to the swimming pool at the Cove of Lake Geneva. Any reports would immediately be investigated by the health department and we have not been contacted at all. We test our pools every hour in the summer and every three to four hours in the winter months which is well beyond what the state expects. We take the health of our guests very seriously and we know the importance of having a balance, clear swimming pool. Again, I apologize for your sickness upon departure and hope to see you again in the future.

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This spot was our choice for a three-day getaway after Christmas. We likes the idea of having a kitchen so we could prepare comfort food and leftovers from the holidays, and then splurge on spas. We were early to check-in, and figured we'd go wander and come back when the room was ready. It was ready so we put our stuff in the room and began our getaway.

This was an ideal space for two and could have comfortably accommodated four with the sofa bed. The kitchen had cooking and eating utensils, dishes & bowls, a full fridge/freezer, electric stove/oven, and dishwasher. That said- if you are planning to use the kitchen bring paper towels, dish soap, a good sponge, and dishwashing detergent.

The TV was sensibly sized in the LR space and had cable and a DVD player. It was wall-mounted above a great gas fireplace. If you don't BYO DVD's, there is a rental kiosk ($3/night) by the front desk. Everything was clean, the place was quiet at night. They have an indoor pool and hot tub. Both were great to use and not over-chlorinated, like some other places.

The beach is literally a block away. It was too cold (December) to swim, but it was still pretty, and a short walk to the downtown as well.

The most frustrating part of our trip was the reservation- which was NOT the fault of anyone at the Cove. We booked with miles from a credit card and the reservation went through twice. The card referred us to a travel site, and the travel site help desk was closed for the weekend. By the time it opened and we were able to cancel one of the reservations, they said we would have to pay a penalty for canceling the reservation within 72 hrs of checkin. We spoke with Paula at the Cove and she took care of everything- she's awesome!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience from your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. We pride ourselves on our spacious, well appointed suites and our amazing walk to everything Lake Geneva has to offer location and am glad that you were able to enjoy both amenities as well. I am glad that I was able to assist you in sorting out your double reservation so that you could just relax and enjoy your stay. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Divajetsetter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have to admit, my expectations were quite low given the reviews the Cove has received on here. There was a groupon for it for a reasonable price, so my mother, sister, and I bought it for an overnight mother daughter getaway. It was perfect! I'll admit, the decor and everything is a bit dated, but it was perfect for what we wanted. We had a fireplace that worked just fine, a little kitchenette, a queen bed, a sofa sleeper, and the tub had jets for a relaxing bath.
Our Groupon included a $20 credit to their little gift shop, but since it was undergoing change and not well stocked we received a $20 credit to the Sprecher restaurant attached. Perfect for lunch for us! We had Gino's East Pizza which was just on the other side of the hotel/condos, and Simple for breakfast which wasn't far either. We did some shopping in the area and everything was a short drive; if it were warmer weather we probably could have just walked. All in all we were very pleased with our trip.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor in an Anchor Suite and it was nice and quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at the Cove of Lake Geneva. We greatly value all of our customer feedback. I am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations and gave us the opportunity to accomodate you despite some reviews. I am also happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our spacious, well appointed suites and our amazing walk to everything downtown Lake Geneva has to offer location. It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future!

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel used to be pretty good, but we just stayed last weekend and we were very dissapointed with what's left of it. It seems that no one cares, could not find anyone to check us in and had to wait until finally they decided to show up to help us. No one apologized for us waiting even after we told them that we waited for 10 minutes. The room that they gave us smelled like rotten eggs and after a close look I don't think that housekeeping spent much time cleaning it. The carpet was never vacuumed, dirty dishes, black hair on the sheets. And to top it all the room was never cleaned for the 3 days we stayed. It am sure we can find a better place to stay next time.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your most recent visit to the Cove. We take all of our customer feedback very seriously and I would actually appreciate it if you could contact me directly regarding your recent visit. I am interested in learning more about your stay as it is unacceptable and against our policy for the front desk to be left unattended at any time. I apologize that this was not the case when you attempted to check in and for the cleanliness of your suite not meeting your expectations. I can be reached at 262-249-9460 ext. 181 and again I would greatly appreciate if you can give me the opportunity to speak to you. Thanks again for your review and time!

Addison, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The check-in service was easy and friendly. Room was clean and kitchen was well equipped. Pool area was nice. Can't beat the location. We were able to walk everywhere. However, I thought our unit was kind of small (Belle Loft Suite) and they could use some updating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your most recent visit to the Cove of Lake Geneva. I am excited to here that you were happy with the customer service that you received, the cleanliness of your suite, and our amazing walk to everything Lake Geneva has to offer location. It gives me great pleasure here at the Cove to thank you for your patronage and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was november 10th for three nights. I was hesitant on staying here after reading the reviews. We had a wonderful time at the cove. The kitchen was missing some basic cooking items, only one dish towels. Was disappointed the cheese and wine tasting was cancelled on November 12th. The pool was nice, could of been a little warmer, hot tub was nice. I would recommend this place to stay. It is nice for couples, families, everything is in walking distance. Our room was cleaned everyday and was tastefully decorated. I would stay again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GenevaHos, Manager at Cove of Lake Geneva, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent experience at the Cove of Lake Geneva. I am excited to here that you had an enjoyable birthday visit to the Cove. I apologize for the missing kitchen items, but please be aware we usually do have extra items on hand that can be brought up to ensure you are able to utilized the kitchen to its full capacity. I also just wanted to take a moment and apologize that we are no longer providing the complimentary wine and cheese hour. At some point, we may resume offering this amenity. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your experience and we hope to serve you again in the near future!

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Have stayed at The Cove numerous times. Went back in Oct. for a midweek getaway. Check in staff were not very friendly, fireplace in room did not work and was told if I wanted a fireplace to change rooms. Kitchen was not fully equipped. On/off switch for the jetted bath tub did not work so housekeeping shut off breaker switch so tub can be used. Second morning there walked out into hallway and there was the smell of natural gas. By the time I reached the stairs I noticed all the windows were open. I told the front desk staff and I was told they were working on it. It is now November 23 and I sent my review to the Cove right after my stay and still have not heard anything so I decided to put it on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent feedback from your stay at the Cove of Lake Geneva. I apologize that your stay was disappointing and it is my hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence. I apologize that there were some unexpected, unfixable maintenance issues in the suite that you occupied. Unfortunately, we sometimes do need some outside vendor assistance in making some repairs and do find it necessary to do a room switch once a guest is already checked in. I also would like to apologize about the natural gas smell and the time that it took the gas company to resolve the issue. We did contact them at the first report of the smell and they advised us to open all windows until a tech could arrive on site. The tech was on site within an hour of contacting them and had the issue resolved within another hour. Again, I apologize for your disappointing stay and hope that you will give us another chance.

Paula Holmes

Been to Cove of Lake Geneva? Share your experiences!