“An Average Camping Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 16 attractions in Lake Geneva
Type: State Parks, Beaches
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A favorite with families and nature enthusiasts, this 271-acre park on the shore of Lake Geneva, offers wooded campsites, a sand beach and plenty of picnic areas.
Verona, WI
4 attraction reviews
“An Average Camping Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

I feel compelled to give Bigfoot Beach State Park a neutral review after seeing all negative posts. I camped there with my wife and kids (8 and 7 year olds) the weekend of June 6, 2008.

The first thing you notice when entering the park are the numerous "alcoholic beverages prohibited" signs. I assume based upon some of the other reviews, that this had been a party campground in the past. Not the case during this stay. Things were quiet, moreso than I've seen at numerous other campgrounds. It was quite peaceful with minimal noise coming from the other campers. Besides some motorcycle noise from roads outside the campground in the evening, I didn't notice that the campground sits ajacent to a residential neighborhood and the high school. Someone mentioned a racetrack nearby in a prior review. I can't say that I would have known any different as there were no races on Friday/Saturday nights.

As for the campground setup, I don't think it's any different than most state parks. Depending upon where you are in the campground, some areas are more open than others. There is quite a bit of shade, but not every spot will have it. They have dropped gravel in a lot of the campsites for your vehicle parking. The campsites are larger than I've seen elsewhere and you are a typical distance away from thy neighbors. Not a great deal of privacy, but there are few parks that seem to offer a high level of privacy nowadays.

The staff was very friendly. We were always greeted with a smile when entering the park. The facilities were OK. I only used two of the bathrooms in the park and both were perfectly fine. There was no running water in either bathroom, but we were camping. What do you expect. The shower facilities were fine also. No counters or mirrors in the shower facilities, but the water was hot and pretty good pressure. Facilities were clean.

While this is not the crown jewel of state parks, we had a perfectly fine experience. The facilities are older, but not ready to be destroyed and rebuilt. The beach itself was disappointing as you have to walk across a relatively busy road (crosswalks are well marked and traffic did stop for us) and we had maybe 5 feet of "beach". You're no more than 5 feet off the road at the same time. Oh well.

All in all a perfectly fine camping weekend. Let me put it this way, don't be scared away by the other reviews. It appears as many others have been as the campground was at about 50% capacity over the weekend which, for my family, made for a peaceful weekend.

bababoo, wi
“THE WORST CAMPGROUND EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

We have been camping at Big Foot at least once a year as it is close to our home, but every time we experiance something bad. Last time we were complaining about some people who were so annoying and disturbing, the park rangers they did not do anything about it, but yet they will fine you $178 for playing music (not loudly) just 5 minutes after 10 pm and make you leave the campsite the next morning. The track near by is too laud and the bathrooms and showers are NASTY! No one really expects shiny bathrooms, but this makes you throw up. They increased the prices, but did not improve absolutely anything. Also the wood bundles went from $2.00 to $5.00 and the bundles got much smaller and the quality of wood is not as it used to be. The park rangers are vey rude, especially the officer Zupan, who will fine you for anything. Well this "hospitality" will definatelly make us not to camp there again and they are absolutelly the worst campsite ever! For those of you who bring a glass of wine to enjoy at night, be aware of rude park rangers who will sneak up on you at night, make you pour out that cup of wine, fine you $250 and make you leave the campsite.

Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
“Stay Away From Big Foot Beach”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

Big Foot Beach was one of the worst campgrounds I have been too. It was very open with little privacy (it felt like I was camping on someone's lawn) and it is right next to a race track. We were there over Labor Day weekend when races were going on and it was incredibly loud and bright from the racetrack lights.
The sites were not clearly delineated so we ended up with a tent literally 4 feet from our own. To get to Big Foot Beach, you need to cross a busy road outside the park where there is a very small rocky beach.

Chicago
“Terrible Washrooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

My fiance and I camped here with another couple this past weekend (6/23 - 6/25). The park is clean, as it should be, but the washrooms are in terrible condition. Feces lined the seats and walls while pools of urine were found on the floor. The flush toilets located near the front of the park were in better condition which doesn't say much. Of the two nights in Lake Geneva we spent one night camping and coughed up the $$ to stay at a hotel the second night. I've been camping all my life and have camped here several times in years past and have seen what I thought could be some filthy washrooms but nothing compares to the shape the facilities are in now. We will not return to this park.

Wisconsin
31 attraction reviews
“Not so much..........”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

We camped at this park a couple of years ago, will never do that again. The park is very small, that's okay, but when we drove into the campground we had reserved a site in the back for privacy. Unknown to us, at the very back of the campground is a gate that's open 24 hours to the street outside the park! It's a residential street with homes and yards. We felt like we were camping in a city park. We watched as a resident from the neighborhood walked into the park with her dog, walked it around the campsites so it could do its duty, then trotted out the back gate without even cleaning it up. At night we heard loud music and found out that on the other side of the fence at the back of our site was someone's backyard! They were having a loud party. Then in the early hours while it was still dark a large amount of college-age kids moved in and set up their tents, in the middle of the night! Two guys woke us up hunting for wood to burn right in our site! In the morning as we were packing up to leave a hippie looking kid came over and offered us some of his "breakfast" in a pan, I couldn't even tell you what it was. When my daughters and I declined, he got mad! We left in a hurry. It was the most horrible camping trip ever.