“This is a wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Wrigley Drive, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Harvard, Illinois
“This is a wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed for a weekend and enjoyed everything about the hotel and the City. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They even went to the trouble of explaining all the fun things to do around town. Our room was great - clean, comfortable and with all the wonderful ammenities you come to expect from a great hotel. We would absolutely stay at Bella Vista Suites again. In fact we are already talking about our next visit

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
AllysonCataldo, Hotel management at Bella Vista Suites, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We work hard to make sure our guests enjoy themselves, and I'm thrilled to see that you were so happy here. I'll make sure your compliments are passed on to our staff as well. We're looking forward to seeing you again very soon -- please let us know the next time you will be staying with us, and thank you so much for your wonderful review!

Hotel management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

We spent a wonderful two-day getaway at this lovely hotel. From start to finish our experience was exceptional. The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful, especially Angela, with whom I spoke on the phone when making reservations. We really enjoyed the whirlpool in our bedroom and the fireplace in the living area. We spent quite a bit of time relaxing on the balcony enjoying the lake view. The location of the hotel was perfect for walking to the downtown area. I can't think of a single negative thing to say--we'll certainly be back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel! We're honored to receive your 5-star review, and excited to hear that you plan on staying with us again, as that is by far the highest compliment we can receive. I will make sure I pass your compliments on to Angela and the other front desk staff as well.

Please let us know when you'll be staying with us again! We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Please, please, please read this review!! I've never taken the time to write a review before, but this just has to be said so that others don't make the same mistake I did. I'm not hard to please, but this was ridiculous.

I was looking for a nice place to overnight in Lake Geneva with my wife for our 8th anniversary and settled on Bella Vista Suites. I've stayed in Lake Geneva before, but never at this hotel, so I made sure to read a lot of reviews before booking. Many spoke well of nice rooms, good atmosphere, etc., so I wasn't overly concerned about my gamble...until we checked in to our room. We stayed in Room 401, which is classified as a "Beach View Suite" and is second in quality only to the 2-bedroom "Presidential Suite" at this hotel. Sounds good, right? Keep reading.

Let me preface my remarks with some comments about myself- I'm in my early 30's, I'm not pretentious, I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, I live comfortably but not lavishly, and I didn't expect this place to be of a Ritz Carlton caliber. What I wasn't expecting was an overnight experience that left me longing for a night in the Holiday Inn.

The only "nice" thing about our room was the view of the lake. Everything else was a complete fail. It was dirty and old with low quality finishes throughout. The layout is poor, very, very small bedroom with no view of the lake, small sitting area with a gas fireplace, but oriented away from the lake. The bed had very low quality linens, scratchy and thin (including the comforter), 2 old standard sized pillows, and who knows how old the mattress is, it sagged terribly in the middle and was squeaky. I woke up 4 times during the night. The jacuzzi tub in the bedroom was small and scratched on the outside, we didn't even use it.

The bathroom was a complete joke, small vanity (the kitchen vanity top in the hall was larger), corner shower that you could hardly move in, towel bar falling out of the wall above the toilet (there was actually a cigarette burn in in the wallpaper above the toilet), mildew or mold around the shower head, stained grout on the floor and mineral deposits around the shower, there was an end cap missing on the laminate counter top, the wallpaper border was peeling and there were scratches all over the doors and vanity. And, the sink wouldn't drain when the shower was on...gross.

The carpet and all of the chairs in the room were stained and the chairs were threadbare on the arms. The climate control in the room was serviced through a wall unit in the sitting area, so we had a very difficult time regulating the temp in the bedroom throughout the night. There was a drop ceiling through much of the room, but the tiles are old and yellow and many of them didn't fit correctly in the ceiling grid.

The hotel common areas were as bad as our room, stained carpet and nicked up woodwork and walls. The desk clerk didn't even say hello when we checked in, he was more concerned with whatever he was looking at on his computer in the adjacent office.

I have literally stayed in Super-8s nicer than this hotel and it didn't cost me $204 for the night.

Overall I would highly recommend that anyone looking for a romantic atmosphere and clean room stay somewhere else. The Geneva Inn and the Grand Geneva are more expensive, but A LOT nicer than this place. Bella Vista Suites is a TERRIBLE value for the money and I can guarantee that I will never stay here again or recommend it to family and friends. Don't be fooled by the reviews saying this place is OK, or even nice, because it's not. This entire hotel needs to be gutted and remodeled, it's old, dirty and run down.

PS- I would have included photos to qualify my statements, but I didn't have a camera handy. Sorry.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
I’m so sorry that you were so dissatisfied with your stay with us at Bella Vista Suites. We’re very proud of our reputation and the good reviews we’ve earned in the past. I’m especially disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy our Beach View Suite, as it is one of our most popular rooms and one that most guests enjoy very much.

After checking with our front desk staff, it seems that none of these problems were brought to the attention of hotel personnel during your stay – if you ever stay with us again, please voice your concerns to us right away! Our number one priority is that you enjoy yourself and are content during your time with us. If your room is not to your liking, we’ll be happy to switch you to another room.

I have also personally checked the room you’ve stayed in to make sure that any cosmetic issues have been corrected. We have not had any other complaints about the cleanliness of our rooms and room 401 is clean, fresh, and ready for guests, as are our common areas. However, I will make sure that your comments are passed on to our housekeeping and maintenance staff, as the issues that you’ve mentioned are not something that we will tolerate in any of our suites.

As I mentioned previously, I am so sorry that your stay wasn’t satisfactory – please contact us at 262-248-2100 and speak with our general manager, Tom Hyslop. The kind of experience you’ve had is not something we are okay with offering to our guests and we want to make every effort to make sure that all of your concerns have been addressed, as well as hoping that we can persuade you to give us another chance to earn a great review from you. Thank you for taking the time to review our property as your comments can only help us improve.

Racine, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I called and spoke with a someone called Angela at the front desk. She was rude, and unpleasant. I wanted informationabout the room . She put me on hold twice and talked to me like I was an idiot because bella vista's web sit does not give a layout of the rooms. I decided not to book the 300.00 room. If I can not get good service on the phone why would i get it at the hotel .

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
I’m so sorry that you had an unsatisfactory experience with our hotel. We are a small and intimate hotel with limited staff numbers, so at times front desk staff must assist guests waiting at the desk while they are answering the phone. I can assure you that Angela is a fantastic employee and we are very proud of the job she does at the front desk – however, we have passed along your comments to her to make sure that no one else feels that they were treated rudely.

We’d really love for you to give us a second chance – we’re sure that you’d love our beautiful lakefront location and our quiet and peaceful setting. Please call our general manager Tom Hyslop at 262-248-2100 when you get a chance. He will be able to provide you with an overview of all our different room types as well as address any other concerns or questions you might have. We’re also looking into getting room layouts & pictures posted on our website – we have many different types and sizes of suites available and we want to make sure our future guests choose exactly the perfect room type for their stay with us. Thank you for your review and comments, we’ll make sure we improve from your input.

Barrington, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My husband thought it was nice. Location was good close to the town and beach. But, it lacked things for the kids like game room, outdoor pool etc. It did have a nice indoor pool that we used because it was pouring rain when we got there. But, the hot tub never got hot even after we called and asked to have it turned hot. We called it the warm tub. The room we stayed in was a suite with two separate rooms, and two t.v.s. But as someone else stated, there was only one air unit in the bedroom so those on the sleeper sofa were hot and sweaty. The front desk was nice enough to loan us a floor fan and it really helped. The staff at the bar were super friendly and we enjoyed having our drinks on the big veranda overlooking the water.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We recently stayed two nights at this lovely hotel on Lake Geneva. The view was outstanding. Great veranda to drink to a beautiful sunset!!! We must admit, a great undiscovered LG destination. We would highly recommend!!!! We enjoyed the Bliss Spa--and the new, On The Waterfront Lounge--Thank you for a memorable experience!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Elgin, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Bella Vista for a night for our anniversary. I read some of the other reviews and they must have changed staff since then because the front desk staff was very friendly with us. The lobby with the koi pond was very nice! The room was beautiful! Small living room with flat screen tv, couch, refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave when you first walked in, then a bathroom and the bedroom. Our balcony off of the bedroom had an unbelievable view of the lake. We loved watching the sunset together on the balcony. The bedroom also had the shower/jaccuzi tub in it. We enjoyed having the tub in the bedroom, however, I can see if you had other family with you how that may be a problem. There was no shower/tub in the actual bathroom. The hotel also just opened a bar on the ground floor where you can drink at the bar or bring your beverages to the patio overlooking the lake. Great idea! Overall, we loved our stay and will definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bella Vista Suites? Share your experiences!