“What are they thinking?” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 80 Restaurants in Lake Geneva
Cuisines: Bakery, Delicatessen
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“What are they thinking?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Wow, Like the previous review writer I also took my mom here for a pleasant lunch and treat and found that to be impossible due to the way customers are treated. I picked up my mom from a local assisted living place and took her to get her hair cut right down from the Pie Company. She has trouble getting around and in and out of the car isn't fun. So even though I had been to the Pie Company before and knew that their prices are higher than normal for what they serve I decided that the walk and the fresh air would do mom good. Also we wouldn't have to do the in and out of the car thing. I was willing to "treat" her and spend a little more money. Really by the time you order a lunch sandwich or quiche, a drink and a dessert you have spent a pretty penny.There was no one eating in the restaurant when we came in. We chose a table by the window but we couldn't sit there because the chairs were not clean. We moved to another table and the top wasn't wiped off but at least the chairs were OK. I got some napkins and wiped the table myself. Did I mention there were NO customers in the place?!
Then starts the task of reading what they have pre-made and under glass and trying to make your desires fit what they have left. I was able to find something my mom likes. I was not able to find something I could live with. I did try. I don't like cheddar cheese with my turkey or chicken. I like swiss the best but was prepared to settle for any light cheese. When I asked the "very young sheepish girl" behind the counter if I could have a turkey and swiss she asked me if there was one in the display case. No I told her and asked if someone would make me one. She said that she would have to ask. The answer was NO. Keep in mind there wasn't one other customer in the place. I tried to play it the way they want. I did look in the case for several minutes trying to find something that I could enjoy without asking for what I really wanted. There was nothing that I could enjoy even if I took off the cheese I didn't like. Should I have to remove part of what I paid for because I don't like it but they say I have to have it? Can you believe that???? What kind of way is that to treat customers? Really, I'm here to spend my money and I can't have what I want but have to choose what you have left over? Is it worth it? I don't think so. I, as the previous writer, took my mom and walked out of the place. I will never go back and will tell everyone I know not to go to a place where the customer is an inconvenience. I understand that they would like to sell every sandwich that they have premade for the day but do they understand (or care) that for my $ I want what I LIKE?
If they have leftovers maybe they need to consider selling them as day olds or something as wild and crazy as that!

Of all the reviews I have written this place made me the most angry and made me feel that they are so much more important than me and my mom. Never again. If selling pies can keep you open that's lucky for you because your customer service can only take you down.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Antonio, Texas
“Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

I got a quiche their and it was very good and I like sever because they was really nice people and I back at home it was very good and place very clean and I would go their again because i like lot James

Visited May 2014
island lake
“Prepare to be disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My mother (Lives in Janesville) and I (Chicago Suburb) often meet in the Lake Geneva area to spend a day, as it is a decent drive for both of us, without either of us having to make the full trip to the other. Our most recent trip was yesterday, and after taking my daughter to a movie, we decided we needed a treat to satisfy the sweet tooth, which is clearly genetic.

Rather than hit one of our regular haunts, we decided to go on "an adventure of taste" as my six-year-old put it, and blindly drove from the theater in search of something delectable. After only a few short minutes, we spotted this little strip mall wonder.

Having never visited this venue before, we weren't entirely sure what the system was. The menu boards listed only vague items (Pie, Sandwich, Quiche, etc), and prices were posted NO WHERE. Do we order at the counter without knowing what was offered? Do we sit and get a menu? No idea.

We went to the counter and told the girl standing there that we hadn't been in before, and didn't know the system. She said "You want a pie?" as if we were idiot aliens from another planet. We explained that slices might be nice, and asked if they had other treat items we could offer to the little lady we had with us.

This poor girl had no idea what she was doing. None at all. After guessing at what types of pie slices we had available, she finally pulled out a cooling rack, to look at the pies themselves, and list off the options. Strawberry/Rhubarb, Cherry, and three different variations of apple. She looked at us expectantly.

Mom and I looked at each other. The variety was weak at best, but we are troopers, so we figured we'd make the best of it. At this point, we still didn't know prices of ANYTHING, and had not been informed of what (if any) differences existed between the three types of apple pie. (BECAUSE THIS PLACES LISTS PRICES AND DESCRIPTIONS EXACTLY NO WHERE)

We told her we needed a minute and walked away to discuss. Once we'd decided, we went back to the counter to order. The girl who had originally helped us with was other customers, so a second sales girl came up.

Now, I understand that "Service with a smile" has long since gone the way of the dinosaurs, but this girl took it to a level I have not seen. Ever.

She scowled at us. As though she could not BELIEVE that we would DARE expect her service while she was here AT WORK. My mother asked for a coconut creme pie, and was told "We don't have any of those." I stepped up and smiled, confused, and said "Yes you do. It's right there in the display."

If looks could kill, I would have been dead on the floor of the Lake Geneva Pie Shop. The girl stomped over to the case, pulled out the pie in question, and LITERALLY flung it onto the counter. Hard enough that the pretty creme topping splattered up and stuck to the lid of the pie plate. "I thought you wanted a big pie, I didn't realize you wanted a small one" she spat, then walked away.

It was about two minutes later before she came back. "You.... Need anything?" She asked angrily and glared at my mother in such a way that the poor shocked woman said "Did I do something wrong...?" My mom was both hurt and confused by the actions of this sales girl.

"No." She said, with a tone that defied the word completely. Not willing to give up yet, my mother ordered a coffee. At this, the sales girl rolled her eyes and walked away. We thought she was going to get to work on the coffee, but instead, she stood beside the first sales girl. She didn't talk to her, she didn't talk to the customers, she just stood there, not doing anything.

A clear sign to me that this girl wanted nothing to do with us or our money.

I wish I could say the food was amazing. I wish I could say the the pie was good enough to make up for what was THE WORST service experience I have ever witnessed.

But I can't.

Because I took my daughter's hand, apologized to the first sales girl, and with my mother at my side, I walked right out of this establishment.

If all of the people I loved most in the world planned a "WE LOVE YOU" party for me at the Lake Geneva Pie Company, I would boycott it.

You couldn't pay me enough money to take one more step into this building. Not if my life depended on it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glen ellyn
“A slice of pie”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Service was a bit different, wasn't sure everyone knew what everyone else was doing. The coconut cream was to die for! I had the chicken broccoli pie for family of four dinner, was enough and then some for tomorrow. The chocolate cream was ok. Overall a nice place to pop in.

Visited August 2013
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Lake Geneva Pie Company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

They have the best pies...........every. Also, their quiches are very good. My favorite...strawberry Rhubarb.

Visited September 2013