“Fine hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Madison ,WI
“Fine hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

Stayed here for one Friday night get away in November for our anniversary. Called the hotel the day of our stay to check on availability and got a much better rate than on any website. It was just fine and we enjoyed the pool area and whirlpool. We had it all to ourselves. Sure it's small but who cares? Anything bigger would have drawn families with little children and that's not what we wanted. The condo was clean and comfortable. I would like to go back in the summer. Be sure to request a room along the creek. The location in town was perfect.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

We stayed at the Mill Creek Inn more than a year ago, in August 2006, but I felt compelled to write this so that others know what they're getting into in advance. We decided on a Thursday to go to Lake Geneva that Saturday, and after calling many hotels and B & B's that were sold out or had a 2-night minimum, the Mill Creek was the first thing I found available. I went for a higher-priced room, thinking that would make a difference. In retrospect, I should have shopped around a bit more.

This hotel has a great location right in the center of this lovely town, convenient parking, large rooms, an elevator and quick check-in - but that's all. The bed was not comfortable. In fact, I vividly recall that the bed linens did not even cover the mattress we were sleeping on. The bottom sheet was too short and ended down by our ankles, so that our feet were resting on the bare mattress. The towels were exceptionally thin. The furnishings were cheap, the shower was quite dark unless you kept the curtain partially open, and I thought more cleaning would have benefited the whole property. I would have preferred a good solid chain like a Best Western.

If you have children or a larger group and need a big basic room with a couch/pull-out bed and kitchen area, this may be a good choice, but for couples, I'd definitely recommend something else. Do not fall for a more expensive room here!

• Liked — Location and parking
  • Disliked — Everything else, especially the room and bed
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicagoland, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

The Gold room that we were in has a very nice and spacious layout, but a little too reminiscent of a college apartment. It has a dishwasher, a real refrigerator, nice cabinets and counters with a stove, microwave, and dinnerware.

The bed sheets and pillows are awful--polyester blend sheets and what feel like packing-foam pillows. The bed was overdue for replacement and/or rotation because it was sagging in the middle.

The bathroom is also very spacious, as is the tub, but unfortunately my enthusiasm was dampened by the moldy grout around the tub as well as the well-worn tub hardware. They seem to be cutting corners at this place, and although they are charging five-star rates, I don't feel they provide that kind of experience.

Service seems to be fairly non-existent; the clerk didn't offer any help bringing our bags upstairs. Furthermore, we parked in the parking lot because there was no front driveway, and the entrance to the lobby from the garage was locked when we arrived at 4:00 P.M. on a weekday.

I would probably try another hotel--even the big chain resort--next time and hopefully get a better value.

• Liked — The spacious room
  • Disliked — Cut too many corners for the price
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new lenox, illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

I found used nylons in between the sheets of our bed. When Juan the housekeeping head/assistant manager was told he said "that couldn't have happened" thus calling me a liar. He was very beligerant to me and also to my other girlfriends. (we are 3 ladies in our 50's who were in Lake Geneva for a weekend getaway.) When I contacted the general manager, Shane, he blamed it on the laundry service (how they could put nylons between the sheets I'll never know), wouldn't say anything about Juan's behavior other then he a great guy, "I hired him myself!" None of us will ever go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Staff, cleanliness, false statements on website
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

My husband and I celebrated our 6th. year anniversary at The Mill Creek Hotel and it was absolutely amazing. The convinience of being right there, walking distance to everything Lake Geneva has to offer. Beautiful, very clean suites and the LARGEST 2 person jacuzzi I've ever been in. We love the fact that as a repeat guest, you always get special rates. We've stayed at Bela Vista and The Cove in the past and there is absolutely NO COMPETITION, friendly staff, immaculate suites and the best location. Keep up the excellent work.

Stayed July 2007
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

This is a nice hotel in terms of its quality/cleanliness/facilities, but there were fraudulent charges made to my credit card by the front desk staff without my authorization. Two weeks after I checked out and logged into my credit card account online, I found the fraudulent charges. (they double-billed me). When I called the Mill Creek hotel back they claimed the double billing was a "temporary hold" on my credit card that would drop off my account within a week, but when I contacted my credit card company, my credit card company informed me that the hotel had submitted charges twice, doubling the actual cost of my bill without my authorization. So I had to spend hours on the phone with my credit card company disputing the unauthorized charges and having them reversed. When I finally got that taken care of, I called the hotel management back and informed them that my credit card company had confirmed that their "temporary hold" charge story was bogus, and that I could prove they were double-billing people. The manager immediately apologized and acknowledged that she had been incorrect (this was the same lady who had given me the bogus "temporary hold" story an hour before.) I guess she was only sorry when she got caught!

It would therefore seem that some of the hotel staff here are dishonest, running through extra charges and then pocketing the money.

BUYER BEWARE!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

I read glowing reviews on the Mill Creek website, but I found that the front desk person just basically gave me the keys to the room without telling where the parking (underground garage) was and where the elevator from the garage was. He didn't bother to tell us where the pool or anything was located. Once inside the suite it was nice. The real problem was that the shower is located inside the whirlpool tub, so you need to climb over that tall tub, no rails to help you get in to stand to shower. If you have any kind of a disability that makes it difficult for you to climb into that tub (as I do) then you can't shower. It is not a handicap friendly place. However, if that's not a problem it is a nice place to stay for a really reasonable price. It's in a nice location right by the lake. But I didn't feel like anyone went out of their way to make my stay wonderful, like you'll read on their website.

Been to Mill Creek Hotel? Share your experiences!