“Good destination for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark

You added Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark to your Saves list
Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7020 Grand Geneva Way at Hwys 50 East & 12, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Good destination for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Timber Ridge Lodge is a great resort for families with young kids and who don't want to eat out at every meal. I liked the fact that the rooms were spacious and provided the necessities for making a quick meal if need be. I would encourage bringing your own groceries as there is only one option for lunch, which is located poolside. I do wish that their BBQ restaurant was open for lunch as we would have liked to try it, but their snack style restaurant in the pool area had good options-especially for kids. My husband and I came here with our 6 month old daughter and still felt like we got what we wanted to out of it. We were able to let her splash around in the shallow area and take her on the lazy river, so we were happy with the experience. I would definitely recommend making reservations at the Grand Geneva right down the road for dinner, as they have a few different options depending on what you have a taste for and are a bit more upscale than Timber ridge. It would have been nice to have a coffee/pastry store inside the Timber Ridge like the Grand Geneva has, (After all, the parents need something too!) but that would be one of my few suggestions. We had a good experience and is definitely suitable for a long stay or just a weekend getaway!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
KC M~ Thank you for your recent post. It is always great to read that our guests enjoyed their stay and all we have to offer here at the resort. It certainly sounds like you had a great getaway with your daughter! We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for choosing Timber Ridge Lodge! Regards, Tom

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Ingleside, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great place for smaller children, Took my grandson, [and family] there for his 3rd birthday. The suite fit us all fine. The water park was ample and clean. They dropped off a present for the birthday boy with a hand signed card by the staff. Thought that was a nice touch. Friendly staff.
Went during the week ,so it was not busy at all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
kayakdeb2~ Happy 3rd birthday to your grandson! I am so excited that you could come and celebrate this special occasion with us at Timber Ridge Lodge. I hope that you will come and visit again soon! Regards, Tom
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

This place is really geared towards families. The property has small apartments with a dinning room for 6, kitchen, sofa bed, fireplace and a separate private bedroom. Two TVs in every apartment keep the peace between siblings. The hotel has a nice indoor water-park, an arcade, small movie room, a restaurant (Smokeys BBQ House) and a gift shop/ convenience store (very expensive). However, less than 1/2 mile away you can access a Walmart, Target, convenience stores, gas stations, etc... therefore in terms of meals and necessities you do not really need to spend much. Lake Geneva is also fantastic in terms of restaurant choices, and this property is within minutes of many great ones.

We have been here in the summer and winter. For summer activities they offer activities such as canoeing, kayaking, golf, horse back riding, and outdoor swimming. Sometimes I have seen them bring farm animals for kids to pet at the hotel lobby. During the winter they offer Skiing, sledding, ice skating, ridding in horse carriages, indoor swimming, etc. The kids always find this place very fun. They keep hot chocolate and cookies at the lobby for kids to enjoy free of charge.

We just got back from a mini vacation of skiing and water park usage. The skiing is fantastic for the kids as they have many level of bunny slopes for children to get comfortable with the sport. There is off course also slopes for adults of different skill levels. In all it is a fun attraction.
The water park, although not humongous like at the Dells, is a good size and nice. However, it is always super packed.

My only complaint about this property is the strong smell of damp carpet in the lobby. Also the hallways leading to the rooms always smell like few days old food. It is strange as the rooms itself are very clean. My kids also thought the water park smelled too, however, it is understandable as they probably need to pump a lot of chlorine in the water to keep such a place clean and specially in the winter there is no good ventilation (it is an indoor place after all).

Over all I recommend this property to families. We always have fun when we visit this place. If you are single, a couple, or are looking for a place to go for business this is certainly NOT the place for you!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
RJ J~ Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Timber Ridge Lodge. I am happy that you had a wonderful family getaway. I have addressed your concerns regarding the odors you observed with my Director of Housekeeping in an effort to rectify the issue. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding the many activities we have on property. I sincerely hope that your family will come back and visit again soon. Regards, Tom
Tinley Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

For the past 3 years my wife and I have taken our kids to Timber Ridge at least 1 a year if not twice a year. We enjoyed our stays so much that last year we even put an offer on a unit that was for sale but the deal fell through. This will also tell you how loyal of a customer we are, I even won waterpark passes via your Facebook contest.

I have to say that my overnight stay on 2/9 was a disappointment. It all started on the night of 2/9.

I had a 15% card that specifically stated "no expiration date" for Smokey's Bar-B-Que House, my 15% was honored for our 2/9 dinner but I was told by the server that the card was no longer valid and his manager said he had to keep it. I can't understand why it would be no longer valid as it said to keep it as there was "no expiration date". The manager never came to our table to talk to us and I know from taking the customer surveys one of the questions asks if a manager came to your table, I would think this situation would warrant the manager to come and talk to us.

Sometime during the night on 2/9 the heat shut off and the temperature dropped to 63 degrees. We are well aware of how to operate the heat by leaving the card in the door and the heat in the bedroom worked.

On the morning of 2/10 we had breakfast at Smokey's Bar-B-Que House. One of my kids meal was entered wrong by the server and she apologized for it, the manager also apologized and it was corrected.

I know this is out of everyone's control but the elevator directly outside our room was broken and this just added to the disappointment of our trip.

The waterpark was also colder than normal on 2/10.

I have always left great reviews for Timber Ridge and have recommended it to friends and family. After this stay I have to say I am skeptical about returning.

It is to my understanding that there hasn't been a consistent general manager at Timber Ridge for a while, is this the reason for such a bad experience? As a potential purchaser of a unit the ability to have a general manager is of a concern and was reflected in my recent stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
James C ~ Thank you for your review. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me personally by telephone to discuss your concerns. Your feedback is very important to me and I am happy that we were able to resolve these issues to your satisfaction. I look forward to welcoming you back to Timber Ridge Lodge in the future. Regards, Tom
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I took my family up here last weekend for what we hoped was going to be a fun, relaxing weekend.

The water park was small, but adequate for our 5 and 6 1/2 year old kids. However, if we were coming for the waterpark alone, I would not return. I would save myself an extra hour of driving and go to Keylime Cove as their waterpark is comparable.

The reason we picked Timber Ridge is because we were able to use the outdoor ice skating facility and the sledding hill at Grand Geneva, which were both great actually.

Back to Timber Ridge... The arcade was decent but nothing special.

The BBQ restaurant was very average also. And, amazingly, they don't serve food between 11 and 12. We stopped in at 11:15 on Sunday, looking for an early lunch before hitting the road. We were told they were not serving lunch yet. We replied, OK so it's still breakfast? No, we're not serving anything until noon. We walked away mystified.

On to the worst part - the party above us that went on until 2am and the complete indifference and ineptitude in how it was handled.

There was a very loud party going on in the two rooms above us Friday night. Slamming doors, stomping, yelling, etc... We called the front desk to complain TWICE and nothing was done. NOTHING. The girl that answered the phone the second time even had the nerve behave rudely toward my wife. This went on until after 2AM.

The next day I called the front desk to complain and was told we could move if we'd like or they could offer us a late checkout on Sunday for our "troubles". In other words, they would only offer us compensation that didn't cost them anything.

In other words, the people that causing the problem won't be inconvenienced, but you can pack up your family's belongings and move, or stay longer. Nice way to treat a family and a "family" hotel.

Average facilities, below average restaurant, pathetic security and customer relations.

We will not be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sun-man11~ Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We truly value all guest feedback and hope to improve our operations through addressing concerns and opportunities by listening to guest feedback like yours.

Our restaurant does close daily between 11:00 AM and Noon so that we can switch over from serving breakfast to lunch. This gives our culinary staff ample time to prepare. Our Hungry Moose Food Court is open between the hours of 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM daily. Please accept my apology that this was an inconvenience for you.

In addition, we do take the issue of noise complaints very seriously. Our security team investigates each complaint and addresses concerns with the parties involved. It is always our goal to resolve these situations to the satisfaction of our guests and I am sorry that we did not do this during your stay.

I am hopeful that given another chance, we can regain your trust in Timber Ridge Lodge. Our team looks forward to the opportunity.

Regards, Tom
Chicago suburbs, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked this hotel on a Groupon and got a super good deal. My husband and I had previously stayed at the Grand Geneva and were super impressed. This place is on the same property but is completely geared for kids.

Room: Awesome for families. There is a kitchen and a separate bedroom area. Great if you have little ones who need their own area to go to bed for naps, early bedtimes, etc. Our kids were 10 months and 2 years old when we went. Kitchen is a luxury so you can make your own meals and have a real fridge for bottles, snacks, etc.

Pool Area: This is for indoor only since we went right after xmas and it was freezing outside! We have gone to the Dells prior and I thought this poo area was better. Not because it had more or better features, but it is smaller and contained which is better for families with babies and toddlers. It was quiet at the resort when we went to, so that was also a plus. They have 2 waterslides (one body and one tube). The tube slide is great for parents with daredevil toddlers. The 2 person tubes have an area for kids to sit in the front. Our 2 year ABSOLUTELY LOVED this big slide. The baby pool area had warmer water and a couple slides, swings, etc. Everything worked and was clean (unlike the dells). We would go back for the pool area!!

Customer Service: This is the one complaint. LACKING. The front desk people were neither helpful or overly friendly. The only reason I might notice this is because the service at Grand Geneva is STELLAR. This place needs work....I bought tickets to the Thomas show and was told I had to pick them up at the box office. When I asked the girls at the front desk what Box Office hours were, she proceeded to tell me she had no idea and I would have to HIKE back to my room (with my baby in tow) to dial 0 for service to get an answer. Mind you I was in the lobby with my baby to get a ride to the box office on the trolley. So that would have meant I'd have to walk all the way back to the room to call for an answer and then turn around a get back to the lobby. This would take likely about 20 minutes total, when she could have just simply called from the front desk. DUH!! (Or just be aware of your box office hours in the first place). They just seem to have an attitude here.

Overall: I LOVE Grand Geneva and think that Timber Ridge makes this property even better. Families with young kids will appreciate this local getaway with a great pool and convenient rooms. We liked it better than the Wisconsin Dells!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tom M, General Manager at Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Threepooches~ Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Timber Ridge Lodge. I appreciate your positive comments regarding the rooms and waterpark. I was happy to read you liked it better than the Dells! Please accept my sincere apology for the front desk service that you experienced while you were our guest. I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager and she will go over your concerns with our front desk team. I cherish all feedback from our guests, as those that care to take the time to comment are showing how much they care about Timber Ridge Lodge! I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. ~ Tom
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Let me preface this by saying we visited Kalahari the two previous winters and were hoping for something as nice but closer to home. Given that, we were disappointed in the water park. It is SMALL. There's no regular pool. The under 48-inch crowd could only use 1 of the slides. There is a pool with basketball nets and "activities" but nothing for really just playing. The baby/little kid area is great though. However, the air wasn't nearly warm enough and the towels were a joke. The room was slightly dated and missing odd supplies (we had a coffee maker but no coffee, a dishwasher but no dish detergent). There is zero soundproofing and the windows and patio door were very drafty. We heard everything at night, including a snow plow at 3 AM. We would not return, but it might be an okay experience for someone who has never visited a water park.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ts_cs1234~ Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Timber Ridge Lodge. Please accept my sincere apology for the frustrations that you experienced and shared in your review. Moose Mountain Falls was designed to be a smaller waterpark because we are not open to the public like the mega waterparks in the Dells are. You must be a guest of the hotel to use the waterpark. Guests of Timber Ridge Lodge are also welcome to use the facilities at the Grand Geneva Resort. Thank you for your feedback on the pool towels. We just ordered new pool towels for the waterpark last week and will be switching out the old ones for the new. The new towels are larger and softer than the old ones. Since your review we have reached out to our snow removal company and requested that they come later on the days in which we have snowfall. We truly value each and every comment, positive or negative, as it helps us to provide excellent hospitality to all of our guests. I hope you will reconsider and visit again in the future. ~ Tom

Been to Timber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark? Share your experiences!