“Claridge's in Lake Geneva?” 5 of 5 stars

Baker House
327 Wrigley Drive, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Lake Geneva
Chicago, Illinois
“Claridge's in Lake Geneva?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We were greeted by name by our 'Butler' Robert as we stepped out of the car and we realized quickly his job title was not an affectation and would be solidly embodied and earned through our stay. He offered us a tour of the Baker House before settling in and we received a true tour - not just of the rooms but also of the mission of Baker House in its current incarnation which is, essentially, the hotel is operated as a 'home' and guests should feel as if they are at home while they reside here.
I am not a fan of the Victorian style or, usually of B and B's. Baker House is a beautifully wrought restoration of a historic property that pays lavish homage to its history but is also modern and comfortable and cool. And it should not be classified as a B and B. This is a great small hotel. The only organically comparable eccentric lodgings I've stayed at in this country would be the Tabard Inn in Washington, DC and that is a high compliment.

The stars might never align quite so rightly again but, during an extremely unseasonable burst of mid-summer weather in March we were the sole guests. Robert offered to leave all 5 suites open so we could tour at our leisure and explore all the rooms (which are much more handsome and detailed than they appear in BH's website photos). So we loafed from one themed suite to the other feeling like movie stars.

The hotel has two hundred hats hanging around and guests are encouraged to wear them. Reading about this I thought it was impossibly corny. In practice it was fun and natural. I should know, I wore my captain's hat through our dinner in the guest dining room.

The bartender brought up some of his own homemade limoncello when we requested Amaro (which they didn't have but that's no knock). The small bar was a great, atmospheric room, as was the guest lounge upstairs.

And...paradise. The hotel has no TVs in their rooms and Will Not Accomodate Children or Pets. Those are three very good things for this reviewer. We stayed in the Burgundy suite, which I would site as my favorite with the Versailles a close second.

The food we ate was good, well prepared, pretty much exactly what it was presented as and priced accordingly. I'm in the food biz and couldn't help imagining a more ambitious style cooking - something like Milwaukee's 'Hinterland' or Chicago's 'Publican' - making this place even more sublime but that's not a knock either - just my 'magination.

I feel like I found a mini-Claridge's in Lake Geneva (not that I've had the pleasure of staying at the original). Think I'll go back for a week over the winter.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
chicago illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying in this beautiful house for two nights. We stayed in the Versailles Turret suite which was over-the-top amazing! We also had the pleasure of touring the other suites. The champagne suite was also very nice, it actually has a much nicer bathroom than the Versailles Suite which includes the Baker house famous "car wash" bathroom. I want one of these in my shower! The service is what really sets this place apart from other resorts/hotels. Jonathan the butler pampered us with service I've never experienced anywhere before. I've noticed a couple other reviewers have mentioned him as well-He really is that good!! The whole 1865 step back in time concept of this hotel is truly something unique and special for anyone who has the pleasure of experiencing it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My fiancé brought me here as a surprise trip for a week to escape city madness in Chicago. Little did I know he was bringing me to the greatest place on earth. We have been all over the country and world and no place and I do mean no place compares to the Baker House. The experience was phenomenal! The home is a historic landmark and the owners really do transport you to the turn of the century age of elegance. We did the tour de France (which I highly recommend) where you stay in all the hotel rooms and each room is different. Because there aren't many rooms you get an exclusivity that you don't get anywhere. Also, Bethany, the owner has decorated the room with grand elegance and impeccable attention to detail from the grand owstimer mattresses to the heated bathroom floors to the furnishings and texture on the walls. This place is beautiful inside and out and you will not find grand elegance of this caliber anywhere. Beyond this the staff is incredible from the hostesses to bartenders (especially nick and Jeremy) to the wonderful butler Jonathan. I must talk about how wonderful Jonathan is. I have never had a butler but if I did have one he would be like Jonathan. He along with the owners and home made our experience unforgettable! His professionalism, attention to needs, dependable service, care, and overall personality was the icing on the cake. He is not only fantastic at what he does he is a great person! I can't say enough good things about him or the staff. The environment was great because the owners are fantastic themselves! It was such a pleasure hanging out with Bethany and Andrew. They truly go out of their way to get you what you want and need. Their personal touch and dedication is unmatched by any hotel in this country or abroad. In addition to all of this the restaurant is great and serves great food and drinks. And let me not fail to mention that the staff wears turn of the century outfits and you can participate by wearing one of the many eclectic hats they have and enjoy the fun in one of the many rooms in this mansion or outside facing lake Geneva in their cabanas or on the patio. Best experience ever!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

The Baker House instantly transports you back to a time when hospitality was individual and meant something with rooms that are beyond compare, whether its the comfy bed or the one of a kind showers in each room! Oh and the view! A sunset to close your day in the front lawn garden and waking up to the calming lakefront view. Service was individual with each staff member treating you like you were a guest in there home.
I wish I had more room to write!

• Stayed May 2012
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

From the beautiful, intimate ambiance of this jewel, to the friendly staff, to the Incredible lake views, to the delicious food served ( Brunch is fabulous) we always seem to find our way to the Baker House where we know we will have a lovely evening and enjoy a night out in Lake Geneva. It is historic and beautifully maintained. I am always impressed with each visit and would recommend it to anyone who appreciates the very best. A must stay while in Lake Geneva!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
west dundee, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Baker House is the nicest room I have ever stayed in. The bed and steam shower were amazing and the home and service were great. The home is beautiful and very cool to stay inn. The restaurant is great also.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a steam shower if available.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

This is an historic mansion right on the Lake. They wear hats and period clothing at their very popular restaurant and started offering a few rooms up stairs for overnight guests about 2 years ago. I picked the steam shower vs. the soaking tub and was very impressed. I'd say this is more of an upscale B & B rather than a hotel. A butler greeted me at the door, carried my bags, brought me a cocktail and gave me a tour and filled me on on the history of the place. The rooms are newly restored and very fresh and appointed with antiques. The bathrooms are classic with modern and very upscale plumbing. If you are in this area, stay here instead of at a vanilla hotel. You'll be very glad you did.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out over the lake.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Baker House? Share your experiences!