“Nice environment; good food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Baker House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 80 Restaurants in Lake Geneva
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Baker Street
Transit: Aside from our pier and walk-up, drivers are all welcome, especially ones with two wheels. (Trailers, RVs, Bi-Planes and Monster Trucks are asked to park in the public city lot just behind the House).
Description: Indulge Yourself at Lake Geneva's newest, most luxurious Inn on the lake. 13 Fireplaces, Decadent Furnishings, Interactive History, Live Entertainment, Over the Top Fun! EXPERIENCE Small Plate Dining & Chef Special Entrees, while lounging Fireside Scrumptious Brunch Buffet on SUNDAYS from 10am to 2pm. The Five Star Luxury suites are now open and reservations can be made by telephone or our website.SunDowners celebration nightly from Memorial Day to Labor Day!Check back with us soon for our upcoming Murder Mystery Dinner at MaxWells Mansion!
IL, USA
“Nice environment; good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We visited Baker House this past Friday. There were 4 of us and we all enjoyed it. We were seated on the enclosed front porch with a nice view of the lake. We had a minor issue with two of the cocktails we ordered (way too mush sweet vermouth in the Manhattans we ordered) but it was taken care of without an issue. Our waiter was knowledgeable and courteous. The hubby and I each had the She Crab Soup as a starter. It was as good as any we've had in Charleston. My brother & his girlfriend had a shared appetizer with grilled scallops, shrimp skewers & fried green beans. I had the Beef Stroganoff, which tasted really good, but I was expecting it over egg noodles rather than fusili, sort of a different take on the classic but good nonetheless. Hubby had a chicken & pasta dish that was tasty. My brother had a shrimp & rice dish he really enjoyed and his GF had the stuffed chicken that was quite good. It's fun trying on all the hats. We changed hats at every course and had lots of laughs all night. We'll definitely go back, even though it's an hour drive for us.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Morris, Illinois
“very unique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The atmosphere is great. very neat place! some explaining on the menu would have been helpful (we are a little slow lol). We didnt realize it was more of a small plate/appetizer type menu so it was confusing at first. I had the best thing I can remember at a restaurant since I visited Ireland 2 years ago. It was the portabella sliders. Ya, I know-doesnt sound exciting. Mushrooms arent even my favorite thing-I can take em or leave em. These were so good I swear I will drive back to lake geneva (2 1/2 hr trip) just for these! they had marinara and cheese, basil I think, and the best bread ever. you have to try them! Only thing I didnt like was my chair. It was a really cool set up, but it was real low and too soft and I swear I was going to get stuck in there!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Went to Baker House with some friends. It was like stepping back in time. Love the ambiance, the costumes and the food.

Visited October 2012
“Great ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The ambiance of being in an old victorian home is great! And they have hats you can try on and play with. Quiet rooms with fireplaces made for a romantic evening. The food was just okay, the specialty drinks were delicious!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, UK
“A very lovely evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

On a visit from the UK to stay with friends in Chicago we headed north for the hour long drive to Lake Geneva, which is a favorite in the Fall. The lake is magnificent with all the reds, yellows and greens reflected in the water.

We chose The Baker House as I hadn't been there before, though they had. I'd heard all about the hats and was looking forward to having a dinner with a difference.

On arrival, we had first chose our hats. There are dozens dotted around the various rooms to choose from and it was fun finding just the right hat .... mine was a straw cloche decorated with pretty flowers. Perfect! Most guests, including children, chose to join in the fun and wear hats.

The staff offered to take our pictures and were very patient as we posed in different spots to get the best shots. The house is beautiful. Just about the whole staff are young people and they were very friendly, smiley and professional. The older guy taking reservations was a little formal but efficient in arranging the table.

After drinks in the bar, we were seated in the front conservatory area, overlooking the lake..though our view was interrupted a little by a marquee.

Our waiters for the evening were young guys who were dressed in turn of the century Victorian costumes. They were very nice to talk to and did a great job advising us on the menu and providing attentive but not overwhelming service (I hate it when waiters ask every two minutes if everything is ok, interrupting the flow of conversation - these young men had it just right).

We had starters and main courses and the food was delicious. Great portions and well cooked.

The view of the sun setting over the lake made the evening even more lovely.

The bill came to $100 with service for three of us, which I think is a great price to pay not only for dinner but the whole experience of eating there. I only wish I could have kept that little hat as a keepsake!

• Visited October 2012