“Timber Ridge at Grand Geneva” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

You added Grand Geneva Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7036 Grand Geneva Way, at Hwys 50 East & 12, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Hinckley, IL
“Timber Ridge at Grand Geneva”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We had a family reunion and stayed at Timber Ridge for the water park. It is small by comparison to some water parks, but still fun and there is an outdoor pool as well. The rooms were great with a seperate bedroom, living room with fireplace and kitchen. Clean and stocked with the basics. We had breakfasts and lunches in the room easily. There is a trolley that runs to the main Grand Geneva Resort which we used for the spa/ sauna and work out facilites. The trolley was great, but a walking path to the main lodge would be good for those of us that would love to walk the beautiful grounds. negative was that the staff/cleaning crews were trying to use the same elevator as the customers trying to check out......crowds and waits! I would recommend this resort for familys with kids. For couples, I would stay at the main Grand Geneva Resort.

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

While the hotel was not at all what I expected, even after viewing their website several times before going, we did enjoy our stay here. The hotel architecture is more like a lodge in that it is more rustic looking and built in the craftsman style. It is also very dark inside--even in the hallways and lobby bar.

It is huge with a main building and two very long wings jutting out. If you are in one of the rooms (buildings) farthest from the main building, it can be a bit of a hike to the restaurants, bars, pool, etc., because the wings slowly descend as they move away from the building, and you need to go up or down half-flights of stairs as you travel along (hope that makes sense.) I didn't see any elevators, so if you have limited mobility or trouble with stairs, you should let them know when you book so you can reserve a room close to the main building.

The pool is a little outdated here--just a very simple rectangle--nothing spectacular (except the view of the golf course) about the pool.

Our room was nice. It was moderate sized with two double beds. The beds were comfortable. It was decorated nicely in tones of gold and red. Overall, it was a slightly nicer than average hotel room. I should note, however, that two couples traveling with us complained about their rooms. One said they had a big hole in the carpeting in front of the bathroom, and the other said that their carpeting was very stained. We were in a different building on the opposite side of the main hotel from both of them, so perhaps ours was remodeled and theirs weren't? Not sure, I never went to their rooms to check them out.

We had breakfast in the Cafe every morning. They had a pretty nice breakfast buffet for $14 (8 for kids) or you could order off the menu. The prices were reasonable.

We only ate dinner here one night. We ate at the Italian restaurant. Everything--the service, wine, food, and view--were excellent. It was a wonderful and romantic dinner.

Our youngest son did participate in the children's program two nights and loved it both times. One time the staff person actually walked him back to our room one night so that he could be back in the room with his older brother before my husband and I returned from dinner.

We spent one afternoon down at the Timber Ridge Lodge on the same property so the kids could use the waterpark there. It was reasonably priced. It was a little smaller than some of the other waterparks we've been to, but it was just as nice.

I don't golf, but the golf course looked absolutely gorgeous. I did walk on the cart path a couple of times in the morning. It was nice and a good work out because of the hills. They don't encourage you to walk on the course, but it wasn't busy at all in the morning, so I didn't feel that I was being intrusive.

• Liked — The views of the golf course was wonderful.
  • Disliked — The rambling buildings and dark interior.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnetka, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

My daughter asked for a spa weekend as a graduation from grad school and asked me to go with her. (!)We chose the Grand Geneva in Geneva Wisconsin because it was an easy drive from Winnetka, a northern suburb of Chicago and we could spend more of the weekend enjoying ourselves vs. traveling somewhere. The main lodge is a rambling prairie-style building over-looking a small lake just 10 minutes from Lake Geneva. Our room was nicely appointed with a deck overlooking the lake and the room rates were a steal versus anything with a nice spa in Chicago. When we checked in and I asked the concierge for dinner recommendations in town, she asked me whether this was a special occasion. When I told her the trip was a graduation gift for my daughter, she not only booked wonderful lakeview tables at the best restaurants in Lake Geneva, she also had champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries sent to our room. The Spa, which was the main draw for us, had top-of -the line services which were comparably priced with other spas we
have been to. We both had facials, body treatments, and massages which were all wonderfully indulgent and expertly
administered. But perhaps the best thing was
the friendly, down-to -earth people administering the services. You get all of the pampering and none of the snootiness that you sometimes get at first-rate spas. There is also a beautiful golf course for those needing a lure to get their spouses to take them to a spa for the weekend. Lake Geneva itself is a typical,
relaxed Wisconsin lake town with touristy shopping and boat tours. There are some good restaurants and lots of casual
eateries. Ask the concierge for recommendations. We loved Gilberts. The Grand Geneva with both an outdoor and indoor pool is also a great getaway for families. Hey Chicagoans--get out of town and visit the Grand Geneva Resort and Spa. My daughter and I give it four thumbs up.

Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

You take your chances with this resort. First the bad stuff - Our experience leading up to the trip was terrible. My sisters and I go on an annual trip and we try and book things early. When the original call was placed we were told there were no packages available (yet) but we were quoted a price for the room. When my sister called a month or two later to check on the availablity of packages she was told a different (and higher) room rate. When she mentioned the original quote, the reservationist said, "Well, this is the rate. Do you want it or what?". When I noticed that the resort offers package deals at luxury link at a much lower cost, I tried to contact the hotel to ask about this. I called the reservation supervisor for three weeks and never received a response. Her voice message was generally on the wrong day, as in "today is Monday and I'll be in the office" , when in fact it was Tuesday (or Wednesday). When I finally did reach her she said she didn't recall getting any message from me.

My sister called the spa, explained our sisters' trip and arranged for a spa package for each of us, with the intent that we would start (and finish) around the same time. When the paperwork arrived a week later it was all wrong. The hard copy confirmation had our times spead over a much longer period and it reflected that for some reason I wanted two pedicures back-to-back. Mistakes happen and that wasn't the issue. What became a problem was when she called to straighten it out, the staff acted as though we should be OK with this. No one seemed to notice that one person was supposed to have two pedicures within an hour. Or, if they did notice, perhaps they thought this would be acceptable. Because a week had gone by, someone else was now scheduled for a treatment that precluded us from our original goal of starting/finsihing together. There just wasn't a sense of attention to detail OR customer care. The spa supervisor was put on the phone and started by saying to my sister, "I hear you're upset", when, in fact, all my sister did was ask if there was some way to get us the correct treatments.

It got a bit better after we got there. Although WARNING - the place is SPRAWLING and there are a LOT of stairs. It is very difficult to park your car near your room so be prepared to haul your bags quite a distance and up/down stairs as well.

The room was rather small and plain but we had a nice little veranda that overlooked the golf course. There was no frig or mini-bar and we had to call for a blow dryer. The carpeting had two to three inch holes in it. The room AC did not work properly but the engineering staff was very nice and came out promptly. We also received a phone call follow-up regarding the issue. Although the AC did get better immediately after the repair, it didn't stay that way. We didn't call them back, rather we kept the sliding door open at night to cool the room down. The rooms are stocked with Aveda products which was nice.

Don't think that the concierge has any pull in the nearby city of Lake Geneva . Despite this being a huge resort, the concierge was unable to get us reservations at a restaurant in town. I would think that a place this big would have some pull with local places but I was wrong.

We had dinner one evening at the resort's restaurant, The Chop House. The prime rib was good but very large (either 16 oz or 24 oz - with bone-in). It's a la carte and the sides and salads are big enough for three. The desserts are also huge (and without a frig in the room you're really hard pressed to get through the whole thing). We had the chocolate cake (very very choclately), the creme brule (very large portion) and the carrot cake (very moist with lots of icing). The dinner was good and the server was very nice but somehow the dinner was charged to the room despite me providing a credit card. And the charge to the room was not a correct one anyway - it was $30 less than our dinner. The front desk staff told us there was nothing she could do since she didn't have the restaurant's receipts and it was Sunday. She told us we had to pay the charge and follow up with accounting during the week.

The breakfasts were also very good, especially the egg dishes.

Some of the staff were exceptionally nice - Eric in engineering for example, Tiffany in the spa or the Dan at the restaurant (who told us that you can park for free in town behind the police station - a great tip since everything else is metered and you have to go back every two hours or risk a $10 parking ticket).

The spa has a nice exercise area. There are classes that range from spinning to kick boxing. You might want to call and see what's available. Although once you're there, you really should pick up a schedule. I called the spa to confirm a class and was told it started an hour later than I had thought. When I got to the gym and looked at the list myself I realized that that I was told an incorrect start time. When I told the spa's front desk staff that I was the one who called and could they tell me which time was right they repeated the wrong time, only changing their view of the class' start time after I pointed out that the later time was for a class tomorrow. The response was "oh" (not "sorry"). On the plus side, they also have a climbing wall (for an additional fee). And there is a pretty good selection of weight machines and eliptical/running machines. The spa has 900 locals who are members so you might encounter a bit of a wait sometimes. You can also shoot baskets or do laps in the spa's lap pool. As for the spa services themselves - we loved our massages but no one asked if we wanted to order lunch or get a (complimentary) glass of wine until we saw someone else having these items brought to them and we asked about it.

Overall, the resort was fine. Not spectacular but OK. There are fun things to do at the resort, like the spa and the golf. Just be prepared for a not smooth time. As I said, there were some terrifically helpful people there, but I didn't get the feeling that this was the culture of the entire resort but rather just a few exceptional employees.

My advise is go ahead and go but don't rely on the staff to be supportive. For the amount it costs (rooms over $250, spa packages for $215), I was hoping for nicer treatment. But, if you live in the midwest and you want to spend some time in a really pretty location and don't mind fending for yourself, then go for it.

• Liked — The view from the veranda.
  • Disliked — Quality of room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

We booked our room thru hotels.com. Upon arrival we learned that we were not booked at the Grand Geneva like the reservation clearly stated from hotels.com but at the lodge at timber ridge. We tried to explain to the desk staff that we were there with friends and really, really wanted to be closer than the lodge down the road, but was told that the Grand Geneva was sold out but if we came back in the a.m. we could be moved. We headded down to the lodge at Timberridge with was full of kids (we dont have kids). My husband went to park his boat/truck and I checked in - I had many bags and they had no one to help. Finally some one came and took my bags to a room/suite - which was unmade. We then had to transfer to another room. The suite was very large with a walk in closet - bedroom - kitchen - dining room - living room with fireplace and patio and 2 televisions and an olympic size bath tub. It was very nice. The next day I went to the spa so i decided to ask the desk at the Grand Geneva if they had a room for us (I was not going to switch anyway) but I was informed they were sold out for the entire weekend and who ever told me I could switch was wrong. So back to the timber ridge - the water park and the lobby seemed a bit dirty. I did get 4 free passes to the water park for each day but it is not anyplace for anyone over 15 so I did not go. I have stayed at the grand geneva 2 years ago and it just did not seem as upscale as it did before and also the customer service seemed lacking but all in all a its a very nice resort. I would highly recommend the Lodge at Timber ridge for any one with young kids - lots to do. The resort is also a good location far enough from down town lake geneva and close enough to the outlet malls.

• Liked — The suite at timber ridge
  • Disliked — the front desk staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the resort for a weekend in May. We had some issues during the booking process as I kept getting revised confirmations for no reason. In the end I ended up cancelling the package we had booked and just keeping the room as the price was nearly double what had been confirmed. Once there, the room was nice but nothing special. We were not able to take advantage of the spa as it was all booked up, so if this is something you're interested in make sure you book time before you arrive. The restaurants were ok, but nothing to write home about. We ended up eating in town more frequently then at the resort as the food was much better and more affordable. I would recommend the resort, but only if you are able to
find a really great deal online.

• Liked — The grounds were beautiful
  • Disliked — We were unable to use the spa or the driving range due to over scheduling
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
berwyn,illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

When booking my stay at this resort I was told we could use the waterpark at the timberlodge resort next door,but when we checked in she let me know there was a $21 per person fee for each guest.I refused to stay there and went to the timberlodge resort instead.

Stayed May 2007

Been to Grand Geneva Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!