“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Geneva Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7036 Grand Geneva Way, at Hwys 50 East & 12, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Lake Geneva
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We had a 2 night stay here for our anniversary. Wanted to do a quick trip away while still being close to home. On check in we received an upgrade to one of the rooms that have a fireplace and bar. We also received a welcome glass of champagne. Since it was our anniversary, they delivered chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne to our room-nice touch. We planned on skiing that day, but since it was so cold, we never did get to the mountain. We did try out snowshoeing though-we could rent them for $25 for 2 hours. We went hiking on their trail which only took about a half hour so we hiked around the property and through one of the golf courses. Good walk! We found the outdoor ice skating rink which was nice, but didn't have time for that either since the weather was pretty bad during our stay. It was a cute covered area though and they have ice skates and sleds for rent as well (had a good sledding hill.) We took the shuttle bus to the waterpark on the property so we could check that out and have lunch there. The waterpark looked cute, but the restaurant wasn't open due to being low season. We ended eating lunch at the restaurant in the main building-great service and food. They had a nice indoor pool area and hot tub-quite large. The pool water was nice and warm. My husband booked me a massage at their Well Spa on the property. Great massage and great amenities in the spa. The massage was more pricey than normal places, but usually find that at resorts. They also had indoor tennis facilities (which looked nice) and a rock wall that I didn't see. The beds were very comfortable. The only suggestion for the hotel would be to put a microwave in those nicer rooms, especially since there is a bar area with a fridge. We went to dinner at the Chophouse in the main building. It was excellent! Again, a tad on the pricey side, but the steak was excellent. I also would recommend the creamed spinach. With our stay we had access to their Geneva Club-the keyed access only area where they had a good breakfast, afternoon tea/snacks/ and hord'oerves from 5-7pm. The tea time I could take or leave, but breakfast and hord'oerves were excellent! There were free non-alcoholic beverages at those times and half off glasses of wine. In that room they have several seating options with lots of tvs, a huge fireplace to sit by, or you could use their ipads if you requested them. Was a wonderful stay away from our 3 kids. We are used to going further away on a yearly basis, but having a newborn at home didn't allow it to be possible this time. We'd go there again.

1,224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Rialto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I left the warm comfort of California life to enjoy a wonderful spa filled weekend with the girls. This was truly one of the most relaxing weekends ever.

We checked in late on a Friday and the staff was very friendly and pleasant. The Grand Café and Lobby Lounge are nearby and provide great food, entertainment and space to socialize.

The first night we stayed in a deluxe guest room with two full sized beds. The room was clean and had a great view (despite the snow...) The beds were very comfortable. The refrigerator had bottles of water and plenty of space for small groceries.

We had breakfast Saturday morning at the Grand Café. The French toast breakfast was delicious.

Saturday we stayed in a Junior Suite. I loved this room and highly recommend upgrading for guests of 3 or more. It provides a lot of space, enough room to spread out and not feel cramped on top of one another. This room also includes the Geneva Club Lounge. The lounge includes breakfast, certain beverages and desserts as well as discounted drinks.

There are a lot of activities (skiing, ice skating, sledding, horseback riding, indoor heated swimming pool, indoor waterpark, and etc. all on the property). You'll never get bored. We were actually there for the final day of Winterfest which was awesome because we saw the most amazing ice/snow sculptures.

We spent the evening at WELL Spa and Oh, My!!! First, the facility is great because it offers other recreational options (tennis, basketball, rock climbing and more). I had the Well Spa Facial which was INCREDIBLE! I was so relaxed that I found myself sleep. Afterwards, I relaxed in the sauna and jacuzzi.

We had dinner at the Chop House. We had reservations which is a must to make sure you can get seated. The food was good. I had a shrimp dish and enjoyed the variety of butter options that went with the bread.

I can’t wait to return during spring or summer after the snow has melted. I heard great things about views of fountains, the lake, etc. which I couldn't fully appreciate with the beautiful winter snow (covering up the view).

We actually decided to make this an annual girl’s getaway so I look forward to experiencing more activities next year!

I highly recommend this resort for a girls weekend, organization getaway, romantic couples weekend, family vacation, etc.

During my tour I learned that the property was once one of Hugh Heffner’s properties (bet you didn’t know that)

Tip 1: When you find a remote in the restroom and no tv, press power. You may be surprised like we were, lol

Tip 2: The resort is approximately 45 minutes from MKE. It may be worthwhile to rent a car. My friends picked me up Friday but the shuttle to the airport was $95 for my return flight.

Room Tip: When possible, try to get a room in a building closer to the main lobby and dining areas.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I want to be specific in my review. This is **only** from the perspective of a couple looking for a romantic weekend away. While this appeared to be a fantastic place for families, it was not a place for couples.

First, the resort is very nice and old-school. You can immediately get a sense of its history from the architecture and rooms. And the spa (which is not attached directly to the resort, but a short walk away) has top-notch service.

The only real problem, from a couple-looking-for-romance perspective, is that it is through and through a family resort. There was not a single part of the resort where children were not allowed. Even in the nightclub, children filtered in and took up at least 3 tables! And these weren't highschool-aged young adults. They were 5, 6, and 7 year olds.

It's hard to snuggle up by the nice fire in this atmosphere, especially when kids are literally jumping on the furniture or running past and knocking into your chair. Even the lobby bar became a de-facto nursery room where the live jazz music was hard to hear over crying infants.

This is a GREAT place for families, but avoid it for romance. There is none.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am so sorry you were not able to enjoy your romantic weekend as planned. If you would like to give us another opportunity, I would be more than happy to help you plan out some couples only activities for you on your next stay. Please give me a call (262) 249-4713 to make your plans. We truly value each and every comment as it helps us to provide excellent hospitality to all of our guests. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Best Regards,
Tom Mason
Managing Director
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed only once for 3 days for one of the business trip. It is beautiful place to stay with good ambience , golf course , lake etc . The area is very silent and one can have peaceful morning walk in the golf course roads or grass area. The rooms are very neat and even the washroom is equipped bath tub and TV. Restaurants are quite big and will get all international variety of foods although it will be too crowded in the evening. Wifi is complimentary and you will find some shops were you can pick up souvenir items. The front desk staff is very courteous. During day time , you can find high movements of golf cart on the golf course. Enjoy the ambience and golf with money for the stay alone. Overall an excellent memorable experience. Highly recommended .

Room Tip: Take rooms facing the Golf Course and Lake.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Enjoyed the day away from Chicago and took a trip up to the Grand Geneva Resort. Definitely a place I recommend. Staf was amazing. We dined on campus and also treated ourselves to the spa. Place is first class. A return trip is definitely in the future.

Oak Creek, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I got engaged here in 2012. We recently returned for a getaway weekend and just fell further in love with the Grand Geneva. The atmosphere is so relaxing and elegant without being over the top. The breakfast was incredible- definitely worth every penny. The spa and fitness center are perfectly clean and professional. The fitness center has a surprisingly great selection of machines and free weights. We left feeling relaxed and revived. We are already planning our next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The Grand Geneva provided a great weekend getaway from Chicago. We started off with massages in the spa which were wonderful followed by dinner at Ristoranté Brissago (get the calamari) and drinks in the lobby. It was a quick trip and provided exactly the relaxation we needed. I can't wait to go back this summer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course and pond.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Geneva Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!