“Family Fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

You added Grand Geneva Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7036 Grand Geneva Way, at Hwys 50 East & 12, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Cary, Illinois
“Family Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a great time as a family! we visited the waterpark. The food at Grand Geneva is amazing, Breakfast, lunch and dinner all excellent!!
They are super family friendly. we visited during Christmas and it was so beautifully decorated.
The beds were not as comfy as I would have liked but that is my personal preference.

Everything else was beyond excellent!!
we love Chef Mike

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Schaumburg, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you dont look too close you may miss the imperfections but for the price of our stay I expect perfection. While I appreciated the friendly staff there are some changes that are needed to bring this property to higher standard which would be more in line with the total amount spent for 2 nights.

Here are our combined notes from our stay on January 4 -5th, 2014.

Saturday dinner buffet - the crab was of terrible quality and cold and not drained. The butter was cold as well. We frequent all you can eat crab dinners in the Chicago suburbs which provide hot just out of the pot high quality crab for the same price. For a resort I was very surprised with the poor quality of food.

- The bedroom in our suite was 80 degrees at night. The engineer who came to see us about it identified that there wasn't really anything he could do, and that the thermostats didn't control the temperature.

- The bedroom mattress was worn out. We paid quite a bit for the room and expected a good night sleep, which we did not get. For the price, I expected a bed, at least equivalent to the quality of Renaissance Hotels & Resorts.

- The spa floors were filthy. The "one" time I saw staff cleaning tile the floor he was using a towel under a broom... the same towels used by members to dry off. I know everything is washed... but Yuck! Buy the right equipment for the job, get a mop. The carpets were full of salt and dirt. Members were putting down towels to stand on while getting changed... buy a vacuum. My wife reported the same issues in the women's spa.

- At the front desk of the spa we were told slippers and robes were available in the spa for everyone. However unless you tracked someone down in the spa, they were not available. Even when my wife could locate someone, these items were not available.

- General maintenance: Mold and mildew around the edge of the the pool and hot tub, rust and mold on the steps into the pool, worn out mirror and broken lockers in the women's spa, broken fixtures.

- Hot tub: you have towels on the floors all around the hot tubs collecting germs, mold and mildew. This is an obvious design flaw with the hot tubs that you need to address. It's unsanitary conditions.

- I gave a rating of 3 because the cross country skiing was very enjoyable and even though we came late in the day 3pm, the staff was accommodating, friendly and helped us get some skiing in. The downhill skiing looked pretty good, even though we didn't get a chance to go. The lobby area was quite enjoyable for drinks and socializing... We enjoyed the music. Our waitress for breakfast was fantastic... good service, very friendly and helpful with all of our questions. The house cleaning staff did a good job and were all very friendly. They put up with a lot from the people staying from the race. The check-in staff was great even though they were overwhelmed with people checking in for the race... the free glass of champagne was a nice welcoming tough.

Room Tip: Find a room at the end of the resort to keep from hearing everyone pass your room in the late night...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Tom M, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Grand Geneva. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience and would love the opportunity to speak to you via phone to discuss.

Best regards,

Tom Mason
Managing Director
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We attended a wedding in December at the Grand Geneva . What a wonderful experience!
We arrived early, and were able to enjoy the festive decorations and holiday cheer that were offered.
We had lunch at the lobby level restaurant, delicious! The staff was wonderful.
Our room accommodations were cozy and perfect. Very clean, and comfortable.
We would love to return as a family next season in order to enjoy all the Christmas festivities!
An outstanding experience. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This resort was perfect. I was here for a weekend, the room was great, everyone was friendly and helpful. The restaurants in the resort were excellent! The spa was great, very pampering and relaxing. The resort was within a 10 minute drive of the downtown area.

Room Tip: The lake view king room was great. Although the lake was frozen over, it was a great view! The Chop...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't recommend this place. My wife and I went with another couple for a few days after Christmas. To start, location is bad, not near downtown, not very secluded. Near walmart, Home Depot, and a couple gas stations. The facilities aren't great either. We planned to ski, visit the water park, rock climb, play tennis, and relax in the jacuzzi. Literally couldn't do any of that because it was either too crowded, of poor quality, or both. We sat in the room and played cards and drank. Restaurants and bars are way overpriced too. And the worst part about this place...absolutely overrun with kids. They were everywhere, like ants. In the pool, spa, restaurants, lobby, hallways. Every family had like 6 kids. It was a nightmare. This isn't really the resorts fault, but travelers should be aware. Don't go if you don't have kids, don't plan on doing anything worthwhile, and bring your wallet.

• Stayed December 2013
Gerald R, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
It is disappointing for me to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Grand Geneva. We are very busy over the holidays as families find our facility a great place to get together to celebrate. We do offer a number of winter activities and the city of Lake Geneva is only about one mile away. It is a very quaint downtown with many shops, restaurants and a beautiful lake front. It's unfortunate you did not explore the area and hope you come back to take advantage of everything the Grand Geneva and the city have to offer.

Best regards,

Gerald Rappaport
Managing Director
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I attended the Kleinheinz-Amman Wedding in December at the Grand Geneva and could not have been happier. I was the day off coordinator for the wedding and I must say, working with Kate in Conference Services was such a breeze AND so much fun. We got to know each other instantly and the wedding was flawless. The staff that we worked with that day was great: shining the wood accents in the Ballroom, lowering the temperatures to ensure everyone was cool and not hot boxes, straightening the Christmas trees (which required what seemed like 20 foot ladders, sorry Kate) at my request, and putting the finishing touches on the rooms were just what I needed to make this event flawless. The decor of the hotel lended itself perfectly to the wedding. The wedding food was fantastic, compliments to the chefs! I had mushroom ravioli, which was perfect. My date to the wedding said this was her favorite wedding food of all time. And we go to a ton of weddings.
Having Santa and Mrs. Claus in the lobby whole carolers sang was impressive and a huge hit with many of the wedding guests.
The complimentary glasses of champagne at check-in were welcomed after a long day of driving to Wisconsin.
The night of the wedding there was a snow storm and after the reception, we went outside and took pictures and videos with all the Christmas lights near the hotel, added bonus!
One thing that was weird was the lobby bar. It seemed to not make sense with the rest of the hotel as it seemed to be a Euro club when we went in there. The night we werethere, there were two "ladies", gentleman hopping and it was just weird. Such a nice resort with a weird club.
The rooms were quite large and the view was great, even if it was a frozen lake. Seeing wildlife is always fun since the only wildlife I see in Chicago are dogs and pigeons, HAH!
Would I come back here? ABSOLUTELY! I think I will try it out in the summer or fall as the lake would be beautiful to see.
So thanks again to Kate in CS....she rocks and it's obvious she loves her job! Give her a raise!!!
PS--I hope the Chicago Blackhawks Gingerbread Ice Rink won the contest!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby or you may get lost in the maze to your room! You will know what I mea...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband, 3 year old son and I went to the Grand Geneva in June 2013. We had a wonderful time. I wanted an upscale hotel with a spa and we wanted a fun waterpark for my son. We got both by staying at the Grand Geneva. The pool at the grand geneva was great, not too crowded. The service at the pool was great as well. Timber ridge waterpark was really fun for our little guy. I think it's fairly small for a waterpark but probably good for the 7 and under set. Our suite at the grand geneva was beautiful. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Geneva Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!