“Beautiful, Pet Friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

You added Grand Geneva Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7036 Grand Geneva Way, at Hwys 50 East & 12, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“Beautiful, Pet Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days and we had an amazing experience. The hotel room was clean and comfy and slept really well. We brought in a pet dog and paid $35/night - he got is own nice doggie bed and a treat.

The fitness and spa facility was awesome - there's so much to do there. Guests can play basketball, volleyball, ping pong, there's a full size gym with free group exercise classes. I didn't use the spa, but the restrooms have facilities you'd find in a spa such a hot bath and a sauna. I wish the hotel could lend exercise clothes and shoes as I didn't have work out clothes when we went.

The only thing I didn't like about the hotel are the restaurants. The food and drinks were pretty pricey and I wasn't satisfied with the food. I suggest guests to go out of the hotel and explore the city - there's plenty of good restaurants and brunch places in Lake Geneva that serve good food.

I'd definitely visit again if I had another chance. I recommend booking on Groupon to get a good deal especially for longer stays.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I will start by admitting that I have some sentimental attachment with this property, having visted many times as a child back when it was the Playboy Club. I was a child in the mid to late 70s, and my family had a 1-week a year vacation pacakge, so lots of wonderful memories. I also made it up a few times when in College when it was the Americana - then it was not quite as nice, but still fun for the memories.

After about a 20 year absence, I have visted twice recently (Summer and Fall) wife my family, and I am quite pleased to advise that this property is awesome!!! It is frankly nicer, though perhaps a bit more congested with the new Water Park and additional hotels, than it ever was -- even during its Playboy heyday (though sans the Bunnies - althought there is a small "shrine" with many Playboy-era Hotel artifacts that really cool!).

- The ROOM ACCOMODATIONS are great, and typically include a balcony - see attached picture, and the Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired architecture is super cool and retro!.
- The GRAND GENEVA CLUB is wonderful, albeit for a modest upcharge. The Club offers all-inclusive breakfast (that changes from day to day), and at night has snacks and alcohol. Nice! It almost keeps you at the Resort 24/7 if you wish.
- The LOCATION is phenomenal - both nearby to Chicago (and Milwaukee and Rockford), and the GROUNDS are immaculate. I am not a golfer, but we did go for a nice nature walk. The is also a great FREE TROLLEY bus tour that tells you "tons of fun stuff" that informs about the history of the property - did you know that Guns n Roses and many other bands actually recorded albums at a studio that used to reside within the main hotel property?. Also there is a Trolley Tour of Downtown Lake Geneva, though that is slight fee.

We went with our family of 3, including our 8-year old son. He LOVED the outdoor swimming pool (nice bar too) during Summer, and when we returned in Fall, the indoor pool is quite nice as well. He also really enjoyed the Water Park. Thus, it's great for family! Having said that, I could easily see a weekend get-a-way with the college buddies as well, so its quite flexible for a wonderful weekend.

The only slight knock is that it's a tiny bit pricey, but this can be alleviated with a multi-night discounted stay, and the RESERVATION people are also very, very friendly and helpful (mine actually lived down the street from me in Chicago for a while).

Bottom line is that for a quick weekend trip from Chicago, this can't be beat. I must also add that we stoped at the Brat Stop on the way. All in all, a wonderful 4-Star Resort in the Midwest. Who'd a thunk it???

We can't wait to go back to see the Winter Holiday lights - which are also supposed to be superb! :)

Room Tip: The WATER PARK at the nearb hotel that is also on premises if GREAT for Kids. The GRAND GENEVA CLUB...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Room was great, very clean and well stocked. The resort staff is so accommodating and friendly, everyone makes a point of greeting you and making you feel welcome. The restaurants are wonderful, food and drink was delicious! We will most definitely return!

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We recently attended a family reunion at the hotel. The hotel and its amenities are outstanding. It was most unfortunate that the hotel did not arrange for our family members to be in a block of rooms in close proximity to each other - in spite of that having been requested by the family members organizing the event.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The grounds are lovely, breathtaking in the fall. I was initially put in a room that faced the parking lot and they were working on the roof. The smell of tar was really stinking up the room (the vat was right outside the window). The front desk changed me to a room across the hall, it was nice and had a better view. The service and the food in the restaurants was very good. I was in the farthest building in the main resort and it was quite a trip - long halls, up and down stairs to the main entrance and restaurants. Overall it was a very good experience and I would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: If you have trouble physically getting around I would call and let them know. I kept thinking there...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
brimfield, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We were very impressed with the Lodge accommodations. The lobby felt like walking into a scene from White Christmas, and just need Bing Crosby to break into song. Fireplaces, Xmas trees, a welcome glass of Champagne or Cider. Our receptionist asked if we were celebrating anything, and we advised her it was our anniversary. She instantly upgraded us to a Junior Suite and shortly after arriving to our room; room service brought us Chocolate Covered Strawberries and a bottle of Champagne as a gift from the hotel. The room was very nice, gas fireplace, couch, 2 chairs, small bar area, nice kingsize bed, and an adequate bathroom. We did not stay to use the resort, so the resort fee of $15 was not welcomed, but the room rate and hospitality made up for it.

Eagle River, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently attended the Wisconsin Hotel and Lodging Association Conference at this hotel. This resort/hotel is beautiful and the customer service is outstanding. I found the room temperature in my room to be a little hotter than I would like but could not turn the room temperature down any lower. I called the front desk and was informed that the thermostat that time of year was programmed so I could not turn on the air to make the room cooler. However, they asked if I would like a fan for my room. I said that would be appreciated and within ten minutes, they brought a fan to my room. The food is outstanding and the Lounge was quite comfortable with delicious cocktails. The staff was always very friendly and helpful and the entire experience was delightful. I highly recommend this facility.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Gerald R, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your great feedback regarding your recent stay at Grand Geneva! It is great to know our "People Pleasing People" philosphy is in place. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Gerald Rappaport
Managing Director

Been to Grand Geneva Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!