“Great Place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

You added Grand Geneva Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   7036 Grand Geneva Way, at Hwys 50 East & 12, Lake Geneva, WI 53147   |
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Countryside
“Great Place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed over the holidays. What a pretty hotel. Everyone there made sure all the guests were taken care of. Friendly happy staff. The spa was amazing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am pretty easy to please and and tend to travel 6-7 times a year and expect to get what I pay for. This hotel is exactly how I described...average at best.
The Room (5315)
My mother and three sisters stayed in a junior suite. We got a package where we received 100.00 in resort credits per night which we each shared to get 50.00 off our spa services. We paid 240.00 per night.
For 240.00 I expect a nice room. On the website, the rooms looked nice and well renovated. To me, it looked like a slap job renovation. There was a T.V in the bathroom mirror and a newly updated flat screen in the room-that was about the best part. The bathroom sink handle was loose, the beds were terrible and uncomfortable (my sister sat on one corner of the bed and the other actually came off the box spring in the air), pillows were flat, refrigerator was tiny and loud.
Restaurants in the hotel:
We ate at the Grand Cafe twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. For dinner we had the seafood buffet for 28.00 per person. It was good, had a good selection which included a salad bar, various sea foods and sides and a desert bar. Besides the foods being too salty for my taste, it was good. The breakfast buffet was 19.00 per person which included make your own omelet, waffle bar and other various breakfast items. Well worth the money.
We didn't go to other restaurants as they were expensive. It would have been nice if they had a restaurant that offered more sports bar like atmosphere in a decent price range.
Cafe Gelato was nice as they offered Starbucks coffee and various different snacks and ice cream.
"Activities"
They encourage you to take advantage of what the resort has to offer. We did the pastry making. It was great, however, the pastry chef was not there and we had someone else show us how to make a pastry. For 10.00, we got our money's worth and learned a lot, however, it would have been nice to have the chef do it.
We also were excited about a 5:00 martini presentation. It was hardly that. We went to the bar excited and the bar tended looked at us like we didn't know what we were talking about. He basically said pick a martini and I'll give you a deal. No presentation, no information, nothing. We decided after that, we were done trying to do any more activities.
The Spa and the gym facilities
Amazing. I had a hot stone massage, my mother and sister had the relax me massage and my other sister had a facial. They were very professional and polite. My hot stone massage was relaxing and everything I hoped for. It was well worth the money.
The gym offered a lot to do from basketball courts, tennis courts, machines, treadmills and fitness classes.My sister and I did the kickboxing class and it was great. The spa and gym were very clean.
Overall, I would not recommend staying at the Grand Geneva, but would recommend the spa-which is why I gave it a 3 star instead of a 2 star rating. I would visit Lake Geneva again but would stay at different resort and return to the spa. This resort does not give you the money's worth. For 240.00 a night, I expect a lot more.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lake Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We can't say enough about our recent stay at the Grand Geneva. We stayed over New Year's weekend for a birthday-family getaway. We have stayed at the resort in the past and have always enjoyed it, but we felt that this visit was particularly special. The moment we checked in, from the festive holiday decor and music, to the excellent and attentive staff, to the impeccable accommodations, no detail was overlooked. There were a lot of guests, yet we felt there was ample staff on hand to accommodate everyone. When we needed more blankets brought to our room, they were sent up within 10 minutes! The dining and ski resort were equally enjoyable and well staffed. I was even given roses at my birthday dinner and a special dessert. We were so sad to leave and can't wait to return to Grand Geneva!

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We arrived to the property 12/11/11. Stayed 2 nights. I was greeted by an unenthused front desk associate who acted like a robot and never smiled. The property is old and a bit outdated however they really make it beautiful for the holidays, inside and out. The room was nice and it had a tv in the bathroom mirror. Although it only got a 3-4 channels it was neat. We ate dinner at the Cafe - the food was poor quality and the service was slow. The next morning we were scheduled to go on a tour of Lake Geneva. 15 minutes prior to its departure they called our room and said the tour was canceled. So, we "toured" the town ourself. It is quaint. I recommend driving around the lake and seeing some of the large houses - beautiful. For lunch we ate at the Door County Cafe. Great good at good prices. It is worth the stop. Later that afternoon we returned to the resort and had a massage at the spa. There was a mix up with our reservation and the associate who was supposed to provide a massage for my husband, same time as mine, never showed up for work. They had the associate who did my massage then massage my husband afterwards but they never bothered to tell me this and I sat in a waiting room waiting & waiting for my husband. Eventually his massage was over and he came out to explain the 'mix up" to me. When we paid for our services they finally apologized to me and offered to take 10% off our services.
That night we decided to leave the resort and eat dinner in town. Glad we did. We ate at Popeyes, a restaurant overlooking the lake. You pay for the scenery however the rotisieri chicken is moist and delicious and well worth the price (about $16).
In summary, the Grand Geneva Resort is a beautiful property during the holidays but the service is below average for the price you pay for your stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful anniversary weekend spent at the Grand Geneva Resort in Geneva Wi.
The staff at the front desk was very helpful, and because our room was ready, we were able to check in early. We went to our room to unpack, then headed to the indoor pool and hot tub. As this was Friday afternoon, we had the pool area to ourselves. We returned to our room to change and then head to the lobby area to get a drink and sit by the fireplace for awhile. the service there was prompt and friendly.
I should mention how much we were impressed with our room. We stayed in a junior suite, that was beautifully furnished.Granite tops in the bathroom and the bar area. Very comfortable furniture, a fireplace, two big screen TV's, and even a TV in the bathroom mirror.The bed was large and comfortable. Everything looked as if it had recently been upgraded. We were extremely pleased.
Later we had dinner at the Grand Cafe, Jeff (part of our waitstaff) took charge, and served us a delicious meal, he was very attentive. At the end of dinner, he presented my wife with roses, and both of us received complimentary desserts. Very nice,
After dinner we stopped for awhile at the lobby bar area, We enjoyed a drink while listening to two very talented entertainers, they played and sang beautifully. When we returned to our room, we discovered the hotel had sent a bottle of champagne and chocolates. Much appreciated.
At breakfast Saturday morning we were fortunate to have Jeff wait on us again, with the same great results. The breakfast buffet is a wonderful thing, with lots of good things to eat.
The rest of our day was taken up with a road race we both worked and ran. The hotel supplied incredible support for our event.
That evening we dined at the Chophouse. We both had steaks that were perfect. Darlene served us and was very friendly and helpful. She presented us with complimentary glasses of champagne, there were rose petals on our table, and at the conclusion of dinner she gave my wife a rose, and again complementary desserts.
We returned to the lobby bar area again, and were entertained by a very talented lady who sang and played wonderfully.
Sunday morning we again ate at the Grand Cafe, after which we again went through the resorts boutiques. The staff again be very helpful and friendly.
I can't tell you how much we enjoyed our anniversary at the Grand Geneva, They certainly made it very special and memorable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stay here a few times a year. Finally the contruction was completed in Building #1 our last stay. However, as we were walking down the hall toward our room, we heard to dogs barking. I said to my husband that they better not be across from our room but that is exactly what happen. I called the front desk and she informed me that she was sorry but that the Grand is a "pet friendly" hotel. I explained to her that I did understand that the Grand was "pet friendly" but that they really should have a designated building for travellers that bring their pets. (20 min later the dogs were still barking). I then insisted on being moved - which required a call back. Luckily they were not at capacity and were able to move us to another location. The front desk was quick to resolve this situation for us. If you love traveling with your pet - this is the location for you but if you don't make sure to make a request not to be close to a pet friendly room. Also for reference, building 1 is the furthest away. I will be requesting building 4 from now on. The Health and Fitness facility is directly across the street and it is absolutely beauitful but you will need a warm coat walking across.

Room Tip: Building 4 is close to the main lobby, then building 3, building 2 and building 1. Courtyard views...
South Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We have traveled to Grand Geneva 3 times this year - twice in the winter and once in the summer. It is a beautiful resort nestled in picturesque Lake Geneva - very quiet and peaceful. The resort grounds are extremely well maintained.

We love the family friendly atmosphere and the "old world charm". In the winters, it is great to sit by the fireplace in the lobby and sip a warm drink. You can bring your own (I believe because I saw a few folks doing that) or buy from the bar in the lobby.

Travelzoo comes out with a $79 per night deal in the winters which we usually avail. Summers can be costlier - about $179.

Plenty of activities both in summer (outdoor pool, golf, horse riding) and winter (skiing, ice skating, indoor pool, Christmas lights). Lake Geneva downtown is closeby and has many good shops. It's nice to take a walk at night on the grounds in the summer ...

The staff is friendly and there are many good restaurants.

Our favorite is the Italian restaurant - Brissago. It's a bit pricey, but offers excellent Italian food, wine (from Italy I believe), great service and beautiful views from the windows. Tip - book in advance and ask for seating by the windows, specially in the summer.

Grand Cafe is perfect for breakfasts - its nice and reasonable. We have never tried the buffet. Always ordered a la carte and came out happy and full.

Great place to consider for a couple of nights getaway.

Room Tip: Tip - Ask for a Lake view room. If available, your request will often be accommodated without extra...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Geneva Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!