“A second visit three years later, still very satisfied” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 24 Restaurants in Lake Delton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Featuring Hickory Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Steaks, Seafood, Fresh Fish, and Pasta. We welcome families and large groups.
Chicago, Illinois
“A second visit three years later, still very satisfied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had chanced upon this restaurant three years back, when we stayed in Wisconsin dells to go skiing, as we did this time. We liked it very much at the time (wrote a review then), so we were determined to go back. Food and service was outstanding as last time. In particular the young waiter was very friendly but still very professional. The restaurant is very different from your usual chains or hotel restaurants, it has an expansive dining room with several fireplaces. We had a variety of food from a burger for the youngest member of the family to real food for the others -- prime rib, walleye pike, swordfish, with a variety of side dishes and an excellent fish chowder to start. If you are in Wisconsin Dells and you want a nice dinner (and still much cheaper than equivalent in Chicago for sure), go to House of Embers!

Visited December 2013

Green Valley, Illinois, United States
“Confusing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stopped for dinner on a Saturday evening. Our first two choices were closed for the season so we stopped here. The name of the restaurant and the sign seemed to suggest a casual BBQ place. The parking lot was full which usually indicates the place is really good. There was no wait for a table. The first table we were seated at was right in the entry way with lots of traffic. The table was a beautiful table but was an odd, long table. We were seated so far apart that we could not converse especially with all the noise from the traffic. We asked to be moved. We then were seated at another table. This table was just as odd. There were two little benches (like church pews) on each side of the table with curtains behind each bench for privavy. The atmosphere felt more like an old funeral parlor. After looking at the menu we almost left. The prices were very expensive. We decided to stay but just ordered sandwiches. My chicken sandwich was just only average. My husbands burger was good but not worth the price. I have to say that I did not read tripadvisor reviews before going here. Had I read the owner's defensive response to a prior review, I would not have gone here.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Legalized Robbery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The place was close to my hotel and I always like to try local flavor. BIG mistake on this one. To begin with their entrees are overpriced and are not the quality you would expect for the price. I ordered the steak, crab cake with the mashed potatoes. The sauce was scorched. The steak was dripping raw and I ordered medium. They were happy to take it back and nuked it. Overall flavor poor. Salad was not fresh. Tomatoes were not firm but mushy. Obviously past their shelf life. I would never recommend this place nor would I ever return. McDonald's would have been a step up!

Madison, Wisconsin
“2 Happy Locals!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

House of Embers + Ribs/Scallops = best meal I have had in the area in a long time. Took my lovely lady for a romantic evening out. Private bar area booth + impeccable service = one happy girlfriend! I also accidentally dropped my wallet there, called back today and Deborah had it waiting for me already, quite a bold example of their value. They have a really awesome happy hour too! Amazing bar area for a private night out!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn Park
“Dinner for a party of 10”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great location, food was just so so. Children's meals were overly priced (kids peperonni pizza and pop was $12.19/ kids chicken strips, fries and pop was $11.23). Adult food was okay. Waitress read their "Specials" which were basically the highest priced items and were nothing bug beef/steak...no variety. Crab cakes had no taste. Waitress never advised fries were extra charge, pepperoni was an extra charge. Sent email to establishment but owner never bothered to respond. Would never return, too many other places in the area we could have went.

• Visited August 2013