“Surprising!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 24 restaurants in Lake Delton
Cuisines: Vegan
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Description: We're a popular and frequent stop for families (some in the second generation!) craving healthier food and a respite from chain restaurants. We feature lunch and dinners served in a warm, well-lit, converted old cheese factory building surrounded by lush summer gardens. We offer freshly made, delicious vegan non-GMO meals made from scratch, a kids menu, scrumptious vegan non-GM0 bakery desserts, and fresh cappuccinos served at an old-fashioned soda fountain. Our friendly wait staff looks forward to your visit!! Find us one mile off I90/94, exit 92N or 89N - next to the Wilderness Resort, and just down the street from the Tanger Mall, Great Wolfe Lodge, Mt. Olympus and the Wilderness Resort. We're open all four seasons of the year. Check website for hours.
Chicago, Illinois
“Surprising!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had been looking for a new restaurant to try in The Dells and after reading several reviews for restaurants, I finally decided to try the Cheese Factory Restaurant. The reviews were great and I was too, a little hesitant on dining at a vegetarian restaurant.

We were greeted and seated right away. We waited for about 15 minutes for our server to come over and greet us. There was one other table of six in the restaurant and one person at the bar area. There must have been some kind of communication error, because our server finally came over and was very apologetic for keeping us waiting.

He took our order - I had the Thai Stir Fry and my boyfriend had the Ravioli. The food was brought to us quickly on colorful plates. We both took our first bite at the same time and quickly looked up at each other in awe of what our taste buds just tasted. The portions were more than plenty for both dishes and presented nicely. We surprisingly had room for dessert and both ordered the Vegan Chocolate Cupcake. That was also excellent.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Seattle, Washington
“Great varied food and value, and its vegetarian.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Couldn't get my family to try a vegetarian restaurant, but with so many friends recommending it, I went for a business lunch. Everthing the three of us had was excellent, good portions, exceptional service, and the vegetarian aspect was irrelevant. My veggie Rueben sandwich was better than many I've had w/ meat, and their home-made soups and chips were wonderful.

Visited October 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Surprises all around!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My colleagues and I stopped here for lunch on our first day in the Dells for a conference hosted at Glacier Lodge, near the restaurant. It was quite an experience! Decor is "small town ice cream shop with old fashioned soda fountain," and their Italian creme soda was excellent. Special of the day was Sag Paneer (yes, Indian food). They also serve breakfast all day, and the Thai noodle dish I ordered was excellent. My colleagues missed that several dishes that appear traditional (Reuben sandwich, Chicken salad) are actually vegeterian versions (everything here is vegan or vegetarian, but they still enjoyed them. The beer cheese soup was excellent. And to top it off, our waiter was French. Definitely a unique cultural experience with excellent food and delightful service. Just leave your expectations for small town cafe at the door!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glenview, Illinois
“Great service and Fantastic food that's veggies friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Cheese Factory accommodated our extended family (with a toddler) when we arrived early by mistake. The host and our waiter were friendly and very attentive even though we were there before their stated opening time for breakfast. We loved the food so much that we returned for dinner that night. Our group was a mix of meat eaters and vegetarians and all of us enjoyed our meals. Don't miss out on the excellent desserts and soda fountain either!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Rachel Ray should taste my cheese sandwich!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I are trying to eat mainly vegetarian food so were so happy to find The Cheese Factory. When we read the menu, everything sounded delicious. I chose the grilled cheese sandwich as it was supposed to be among the top four such sandwiches in USA - well I dread to think what the worst are like. What little cheese there was honestly tasted processed, even though the waitress swore it wasn't. My husband had the stir fried Thai vegetables and asked for it to be extra hot - this was OK but definitely not hot.
Looking around the restaurant, some of the other dishes looked good but don't order the cheese sandwich.

• Visited October 2012