“Fun Weekend Trip” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Burnsville
“Fun Weekend Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Three adults and 4 teens went to this resort for a long weekend (Thur-Sun) for a school break. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath with full kitchen. The resort is currently remodeling all the rooms but we had a room that had not been done yet. Regardless, the room was great. The kids loved the waterparks and arcades but the adults did not go in either. There was not a long wait to check in and, although we had to go to another area to get our parking pass, there was not a hard sell to get you into a timeshare presentation. Our room was ready immediately. I love the rustic look of the rooms. There was no noise from surrounding rooms or hallways. This is a great place to take kids and the adults had fun too. There are plenty of things to do in the area around the resort as well to suit everyone.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the interior grounds.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our family of 4, including kids aged 8&11, stayed at the Wyndham glacier canyon for 3 night mid August, 2012. This was a return trip to the wilderness resort but our first time staying in the Wyndham section. For the most part our stay was wonderful. We had a 1br suite, which included full kitchen and laundry facilities. The bedroom housed a king bed, dresser, tv, closet and safe. The couch in the living room converted for the kids to sleep there. The bed in the room was comfy but the pull out was awful.....worn, thin mattress and certainly not meant for sleeping. Bathroom was large with shower stall, toilet and vanity. A jacuzzi tub and separate vanity were also just off the bedroom. Kitchen appliances (fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave) were clean and in good repair. Small appliances include toaster, blender and coffee maker. Cookware, dishes and utensils were basic but in good condition. We went out for dinner oen evening and oreded in one evening beyond that we made our meals in our unit. Be aware that there is no housekeeping in your room so you are responsible for making bad, doing dishes, etc. I didn't mind this at all as it limited anyone from being in our room. I started the dishwasher when full but felt that sometimes we were scrambling for dishes so wished there were a few more. By the third day I had figured out that I should run it after each meal, whether full or not. I appreciated having a recycle bin right in our suite for cans, paper, containers, etc and this kept the garbage bin from filling too quickly.

Wilderness waterparks, which are of course included in you stay as Wyndham glacier canyon is at wilderness territory resort, are the best in the Dells! We've been to Great wolf lodge, Kalahari, and Mount Olympus, and when planning our trips to Wisconsin Dells this year we didn't consider other places because of our fantastic experience at wilderness resort last year. I appreciate that the parks are open only to hotel guests so it stays very clean. I think that's likely related to the clientele that are attracted to and willing/able to pay for this property. The lines never seemed long as many of the slides are multiple riders. We had so much fun playing with our kids, but also had lots of time relaxing and suntanning as the kids played on their own. I am sometimes accused of being a "hovering" parent but I did not have any safety concerns here as it is well staffed with ++ life guards and security.

Any complaints I had were minor and few. One thing that could be improved is the soundproofing as it was very loud in our room and our kids didn't get a lot of sleep due to the noise from the suite above us. Also, we lost WiFi on day 1 and while it wasn't a big deal because we were busy having fun at the waterparks and other on resort activities (Lazer tag, sky ropes, mini golf, games arcade), it would have been nice to check email, have web access etc at night as we intended when we brought the iPad. We were as far from the lobby as possible (8114, very last room out, not our choice but couldn't be changed apparently) so even our cell service was sketchy at best. My husband needs to stay connected with the outside world due to his business so it was somewhat inconvenient to have an iPhone that was rendered useless at times because of lack of cell service.

Will I return.........absolutely. Next time we will book a 2br and request a room closer to the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms farther from the lobby have poor cell reception and WiFi connection.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
colorado springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Traveling with 2 teens and 2 and under 12. The Wilderness Resort was wonderfull. The resort passes that come with the unit are well worth it. Water parks were great for everyone, I had a great time going down the slides with the kids. You never have to leave the property, but we did. Jet boat tour was a blast, as well as the upper dells evening mystery trip. Downtown is fun to walk around in the evening.

Stayed in a three bedroom deluxe unit for a week, when we checked in, I had to have housekeeping come into the unit and finish cleaning. I have stayed in a number of Wyndham Resort Properties and never have had to have housekeeping come back to clean. The rooms are showing their wear, we were moved, after the ceiling leaked. I was told by a maintence person that a number of the rooms have had ceiling leaks, the unit we moved to had ceiling damage where it had previously leaked. I also have never seen such stained carpets in any unit than I did here. Management is proud of the fact that they are going to remodel later this year and add hardwood to the 3 bedroom units. But that did very little for those of us who stayed prior to their palnned remodel.

But with that said, it was a great family vacation. The property is great, activities well planed and staff was helpful with out problems. If I go again, which we may, it would not be until after the remodel.

Pleasant Hill, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We have stayed @ the Wilderness 4 other times but with Wilderness on the Lake. Now that we are Wyndham owners, we decided to try Glacier Canyon. The grounds, waterparks and attractions are amazing for families with children. My kids are 12 and 13 and they had an amazing time hopping between the waterparks and riding the go-carts, mini-golf, painting pottery and golfing @ the 9 hold course. All these attractions are right on the property. They are all well ran and if you purchase the "Extreme Pass" from the Wilderness they discount each attraction.

My few concerns have to do with Wyndham and this property in particular. We are very happy Wyndham owners and have visited Hawaii, Colorado and Branson with our timeshare. GC was the first property where Wyndham didn't replace laundry detergent, toiletries or other personal items. You are also expected to wash your own towels for the week (without them replenshing the detergent!) My family of 4 stayed in a 1 bedroom unit and there was plenty of space. But the kitchen was only stocked with 4 plates, 4 bowels, 4 cups, 4 forks, 4 spoons, etc. This makes it extremely difficult to cook and eat for 1 day without doing the dishes or running the dishwasher (and they don't replenish the detergent!).

The furniture is ready for replacement and the carpets were pretty stained. These areas are supposed to be updated in the fall.

Overall, we had a great trip. We were together on a vacation, what's not to love? But Wyndham could accommodate their owners a little better, or at least supply the same items at each resort.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the 'D' entrance. Closest to the waterparks and the foot bridge to ac...
North Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We have stayed at WVR at Glacier Canyon four times previously. On this trip we rented four different units for a family reunion. Since we had not stayed here in the summer previously, we weren't sure what to expect. We had thought that during the summer months it would be wall-to-wall people, but it wasn't during our mid-week stay.

The units themselves are in definite need of updating, slated to begin in August 2012. One of the units we rented, a 3-br, had carpet that was worn and stained badly. Some of the furniture was showing its age in all the units.

Overall, however, we were quite pleased with our stay. The employees, especially the young summer workers, were pleasant. We had numerous conversations with individual employees from foreign countries who were courteous and kind. The waterparks seemed to be kept up relatively well. Part of our group did the zipline tour and had a blast - they praised their two guides highly.

Because we live not too far away I'm sure we'll be back. We'll look forward to the planned updating.

Room Tip: The presidential suites have the most open space.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to the Wyndham Glacier Canyon lodge for a 5 day 4 night vacation. Overall it was a great experience..the wilderness waterparks were great we were gonna go to noah ark but there is so much to do there that we didnt want to leave... It would be nice if they put more coffee in the room..We never road any of the shuddles we walked and it wasnt bad but i can see with a little one it could be a long walk...I enjoyed the room so much i didnt want to leave it..we loved having a safe in our room also. We had the one bed room condo and love it! It was so nice having a kitchen in the room so we made breakfast and lunch. Your not suppose to bring snacks and your own drinks in to the pool area we did in my beach bag and no one said anything to us.. The only bad thing was the beach towels they need to be bigger! I can't wait to return I bought my deal off of e-bay for a timeshare and paid half of the price that they usally charge for a room like this! I will return with my family I can't wait to show them the dells!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed for a week timeshare. Upon arrival the grounds were beautiful and couldn't wait to check in. They handed us our keys and off we went...only to find they had given us keys to an already occupied unit! We went back to the front desk and they gave us another whirl. The unit was gorgeous and well supplied. As soon as we settled in it sounded like a herd of buffalo were on top of us. We complained about the noise above, way into the night. They did nothing. In the middle of the night there was water running through the lights into our unit!!! Oh brother, and we had a flight the next morning. Awful experience. When we got back home to California, I wrote letters to Wyndham. NO REPLY. That my friends, is very poor management. Need less to say, when I see "Wyndham" I will think twice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts at Glacier Canyon? Share your experiences!