“A good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fields at the Wilderness is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 24 Restaurants in Lake Delton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Celebrate the art of fine dining in Frank Lloyd Wright style. Field's at the Wilderness is truly the gem of the Midwest. The 36-foot ceilings, fireplaces, indoor water features and exposition kitchen should not be missed.
Whitewater, Wisconsin
“A good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I was here with a large group and we had a somewhat fixed menu. I am a very picky eater and they were very willing to make a few adjustments for me which I greatly appreciated. Everyone seemed to enojoy their meal. The wait staff was on top of the entire meal and did a great job. The bar area is great and the drinks solid! The space, in my opinion needs a major refresh. It feels to me to be quite outdated. The Wilderness tends to attract higher end visitors and this being their premier restaurant should reflect this in their decor.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Chicago
“Everything was wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We got there early and were the first people seated. The ambiance is different and pretty cool. All the staff was attentive and professional which was nice. A lot of places the wait staff will just hang out in the back and forget about you if they are super slow. The steak was good. Not as good as the top steak houses in Chicago, but at least in the same realm. My wife enjoyed their Salmon entree, but didn't feel the crust added anything to the dish.
They also carried New Glaurus Spotted Cow, which is worth a bonus point.

Visited April 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Didn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was taken to Fields to experience "good steak" in a stylish environment and left feeling very disappointed.

Cocktails at the bar were great and the barman recommended a really good bottle of red to accompany our steaks at a very fair price. The layout of the restaurant is clever, with a big bar area and lots of dining tables broken up into small spaces so you don't feel like you're eating in a barn. Full marks at that stage.

It was when we got to our table that things went downhill. We chose to have our salad as a starter but the steaks arrived before we'd finished. When I calmly commented on this I was told unhelpfully that "we allow 12 minutes before bringing the main course". This was not what we wanted for a leisurely dinner. And it was a quiet Tuesday evening. How about suiting the speed of service to match your customers?

And the steak which I'd ordered as "pink but not bleeding", to be really clear about what I wanted, was very over done.

Given the unhelpful reply to my comment on the speed of service I decided not to bother complaining.

It is difficult to reliably get a good steak in the UK and I had hoped that Fields would live up to its promise. Clearly they have lots of customers who have enjoyed meals there. But with service where it seems preferred to answer back rather than to say "sorry" and food that doesn't match the order, I'll be eating quality US beef elsewhere in future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Excellent as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We are staying at the Wilderness resort so they have a earlybird prime rib special, 12oz with salad for $23. It worth eating before 6pm. The service is excellent. The wait staff must pool the tips at the end of the night because we had about 4 servers helping us, which meant the water was always full and the empty plates did not stay on the table very long which I really appraciate. We took the free shuttle to and from the restaurant. The hostess apologized for the fact that the shuttle was a little late (I used to live outside Chicago waiting 5 minutes is not a long time to wait for a shuttle). The champagne and cappucino martinis were excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, MN
“Great Service and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a great evening at this restaurant. This is a nice restaurant, not a budget burger place. The service was great, but not pretentious. Both the lobster and steak were fantastic. I can't wait to return next year.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere