“Locals do not recommend Ishnala” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Lake Delton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Milwaukee, WI
“Locals do not recommend Ishnala”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have travelled to the Dells at least twice a year for the last 6 years and had not heard of Ishnala. My Husband watched a PBS special on Wisconsin Supper Clubs and Ishnala was featured so we decided to give it a try. It is located off the beaten path and overlooks Mirror Lake so we had very high expectations. It is a very beautiful resturaunt with a lot of history and ambience.

I had the 10 oz filet ($37.00) and husband and MIL had the bone in ribeye ($39.00). The steaks were cooked to perfection but that's where it ended for us. I felt the "up charges" incurred during the ordering process very annoying.

House salad vs. Ceaser-up charge (even though the menu states either and the Ceaser was not prepared table side as a traditional Ceaser would be...IMO it was just a change in lettuce)

Choice of a some potatoe options vs. Sweet potatoe-up charge

Green bean almondine vs. asparagus-up charge

The "relish tray" which is a supper club trademark consisted of wrapped crackers with a cheese spread that was supposed to be homemade. I can't speak to whether it was or not but was nothing special.

Also, butter is served in pre-wrapped pats...a little annoying as well. At a place like this I would expect a bowl of whipped or at least softened butter. To have to unwrap 20 butter pats for my baked potatoe (yes I am a butterton) is not my idea of fine dining.

The chocalate mousse dessert was to dye for but the coffee served was tepid at best.

I am very used to ala carte' pricing so it wasn't the money. It was the fact that there were these hidden charges. Also, the license plates on the majority of vehicles were from Illinois and Minnesota...not local Wisconsin plates should have been a red flag.

Eat there if you must but the locals reccommend House of Embers or Del Bar if you are looking for this type of dining experience. I have eaten at both and very much agree. I would suggest having a drink and some appetizers. That way you could enjoy the beautiful views that Ishnala has to offer without incurring the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Rockford, Illinois
“Ishnala does not disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I took my family to Ishnala last week for dinner and it was outstanding. The service was top notch. The food was perfect. Had shrimp and a filet and both were delicious. The shrimp were huge and fresh and the steak was cooked to perfection. The setting for Ishnala is in the state park, and the view of the lake is gorgeous with the changing colors. They are only open from spring to the end of October. My family loved the food. I told the owner when we left it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Definitely will go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Amazing Atmosphere, Very Good Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The facility is amazing. Walking toward the restaurant from the parking lot is like walking back in time 50 years.
The initial greeting by the host and hostess was friendly but, since this was our first visit, could have been a little more explicit about were to go while we waited for our table. We found the bar and had a very good brandy old fashioned while we waited.
The food was very good but slightly overpriced. Salads, steaks, and potatoes didnt dissappoint.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Worth Every Penny!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great food, service and atmosphere. This is located on scenic Mirror Lake, on the outskirts of the Dells. This was a great romantic dinner and was everything we heard about.!

Lake Villa, Illinois, United States
“Bar tenders weigh them down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We visited here on our anniversary. Heard great things about it, and couldn't wait to have a great Prime Rib overlooking beautiful Mirror Lake. The place was busy and I think the clinging of silverware to plates with the sounds of people happily describing stories added to the great atmosphere. We had about a 20 minute wait for a table, so we decided to take a seat at the bar till it was ready. We couldn't be any more displeased with the bar staff. One guy cared less that we were there, and ne'er confirmed what I had ordered (I changed my wife's order and he acted as if he did not hear) i repeated the order 3 times without acknowledgement and he walked away and minutes later dropped our drinks off without a word. Later we asked the other bar tender who seemed new for advice, and he was nice just not up to speed with the traffic in the bar. Our food was delicious. The Prime Rib I ordered was possibly cooked a little longer than I wanted (I love to have them rare, almost barely cooked at all) but the taste and quality of the meat was so that I couldn't care less. So delicious.

All in all this is a great place for great food and even better atmosphere. It is a must stop for anyone in the Dells area.