“Over priced items” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Cornelius, North Carolina
“Over priced items”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am from New Jersey and even though I am not Italian, I have frequented many Italian restaurants, pizza parlors, hoagie shops....So let me begin...The waiter was very professional and cool. I asked if the pasta was made on the premises, he told me that it was not. I asked if it comes in "Fresh" (refrigerated), he said no, it comes in dry. The seafood that comes in to the place is not "fresh" but frozen, or so it tasted. I do not mind restaurants that advertise Italian cuisine for $20 an entree, that is ridiculous. I could go to the Olive Garden and get just as good quality for $8-10 less per plate. Unfortunately, I choose not to have desert because the meal allowance for dinner was already reached but the desserts are homemade!! Too bad nothing else is. My advice to the restaurant is to hire a chef. Come up with a homemade meatball, lasagna, or pasta made from scratch. Otherwise, lower the prices on everything 50% instead of overcharging for subpar food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Minnesota
“This is one of the best meals I've ever eaten and I eat out A LOT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I went to Kate's on State because my name is Kate. The food was phenomenal! I've never had such intricately prepared food with so many ingredients that compliment each other so well and lead to a depth and breadth of flavor in such unique ways. The atmosphere is really cool and unique. The service was excellent. I had a salad, spicy soup and Gnocchi. Even the decaf coffee I had was the best I've ever had. They brought it to me in a French coffee press. High quality ingredients and unique recipes with unique ingredients makes this my favorite restaurant in La Crosse. I will definitely be back. I travel extensively for work and almost every meal I eat is a meal out so I have developed a taste for great food. This place is tops! The prices are reasonable as well.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“good food, change of location kills ambience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

i have been going to the restaurant for years and was our favorite restaurant when it was on State street. it was a small quaint restaurant, with great ambience, great place for anniversary or special meals. Since the move to their new location in Downtown La Crosse, the quality of the food remains the same, very good, but the design of the restaurant has turned the dining experience into a shouting match just to talk to the person across the table from you and zero privacy/intimacy. i would say this is a huge swing and a miss for kate, considering the price point of the food. This has turned into an overpriced diner at noon and noisy restaurant at night. if your looking for a nice quiet intimate restaurant, dont go here.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Savage, Minnesota
“Good food but slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We ordered appetizers and salads and it took over an hour to get all our food. Fig crustinis were great but muscles were bland. Salads were good. Crab cakes were ok. Overall we were disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
La Crosse
“Totaly Overrated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We visited Kates on 5/11/13. We had heard good reviews and decided to give it a try. It was so cold in there we (and others around us) never took our coats off. The service was very slow. We had one drink, and an entree - it took an hour & 40 minutes before we managed to get out of there! Food is definately overrated, and overpriced. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited May 2013