“I don't understand the positive reviews on this hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in La Crosse
Wisconsin
“I don't understand the positive reviews on this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I avoided reviewing this hotel initially, figuring I may have had a bad but isolated experience. But after seeing such a mix of reviews on this site I felt compelled to add mine.

This hotel is frequently listed as a three star hotel, that is not the case. I think it likes to think it is because it has a restaurant and room service (sometimes) and it is located on the river (not in a good part of town, but still on the river). But its age shows and their renovations (or just adding a new bedspread) does not make up for it.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable, as in the worst hotel bed I've stayed on in a long time. The sheets were scratchy. The carpets were dirty. The entire hotel kind of smelled like an old restaurant. Not to mention the bathroom was dingy with cracking plaster.

I'm from the area so I've stayed at several hotels If you want to be downtown I'd suggest paying for the Radisson (especially now that they are remodeled). but the Grandstay is also nice for its price. But if you don't mind staying in Onalaska, I have had great experiences with the Hampton Inn and Stoney Creek Inn.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
bwplulacrossewi, Webmaster at BEST WESTERN Riverfront Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing BEST WESTERN Midway Riverfront Resort for your recent stay in our area. Since you are from the area, may I also say welcome home and I hope it was an enjoyable visit.

• Your review with your opinions was shared with the management and possibilities of renovations were discussed.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at BEST WESTERN Midway Riverfront Resort. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Rockton, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We were in La Crosse for a group collector's meeting, located at the hotel. My husband and I stayed at the Best Western for 2 nites. The room was tastefully done. It is an older motel that has been re-furbished, and that adds a bit to the charm of the place. Our room overlooked the Wisconsin River, and it is much less costly than the hotels in LaCrosse that overlook the Mississippi.

Breakfast was not included in the price of the room, but there was a weekend buffet available for $6.95 that was good, although they should have offered yogurt. The buffet consisted of eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, french toast, make-your-own waffles, fresh fruit, cereals, breads. Included juice and coffee or tea.

The staff were pleasant and accomodating. We are tea drinkers, asked for tea for the room and were left about 10 packets by the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We had three negative experiences with the hotel staff:

1. We were disappointed that the restaurant closed at 8:30pm - that seemed extremely early to us. When we asked the person at reception for a restaurant suggestion, the only thing she could come up with was the "24-hour Perkins down the street." When we asked for another suggestion, she said, "There is a phone book in your room - you can check the Yellow Pages."

2. Unfortunately, our room was located next to the housekeeping headquarters and starting at 7:30am, two members of the staff were stationed outside our door having a conversation and speaking very loudly. The walls were so thin, we could literally hear every word they were saying. After a few minutes I went out and asked them to please be quiet since we were trying to sleep. They were quiet for about 15 minutes, but then started up the loud conversation again and even added a blaring radio to the mix for our listening pleasure. (We actually had the impression that we were put in a room with a terrible location because we paid a lower price for the room since we purchased it through Priceline.)

3. When we tried to communicate our frustrations to the woman working at the front desk, she could not have been more indifferent. She didn't offer a simple apology - just shrugged her shoulders and said she needed to answer the ringing phone.

This, in combination with the loud air conditioner and cracking plaster throughout the bathroom, is reason to not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

• Housekeeping was approached about keeping the level of noise down until a later time of the morning. They were reminded of the courteous manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• The front desk staff received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the noisy air conditioner and the cracking plaster in the room assigned to your use and instructed to see to the necessary repairs.

Albert Lea, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

My husband stays at the riverfront every month for business. He gets a great rate and he feels it is a nice place to stay. So I decided along with my cousin, daughter, son and son in law to join him for 4 days.
We had reserved a room with a river view. We had a small patio with two plastic chairs and a view of the river in the distance. We also could see the shack (bar area). On Wed. night they had live music so we ventured over and had dinner with a show. Food was excellent and very reasonable.
On days that we were not touring the area we floated on the river right down from our room. The Midway has a large dock system and a nice sandy beach area.
The continental breakfast was excellent with the usual variety of cold cereals, fruit, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. For 4$ you could have the breakfast buffet which looked very good but we never felt the need for it.
The pool area looked great, a lot of entertainment for children.

The room was very clean, air conditioning worked well and it was fairly up to date on decorating. New comforters looked great. There is a mini fridge and coffee maker. Bathroom was all updated very nicely.

We would definitely stay here again. It is a solid 3 star hotel with good service. I don't know why there is bad reviews but I guess they had higher expectations. I was very pleasantly surprised, Great stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Western GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

1 I booked a "River view" room. From where I was I could barely see the river.
2 The heater was noisey and only high speed worked. I told the front desk 3 times in 2 days and it was never fixed.
3 Half the time the room amenities were not replaced.
4 When I asked to see a Manager, I was told he was unavailable.
5 The wall are thin enough to hear your neighbor's kids.
6 The free breakfast was ceral, marginal coffee, toast, yogurt completely self served.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the problems with the heater in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

• Housekeeping was reminded of their responsibility to see to it that the room amenities were replaced.

• Breakfast staff was approached about the possibility of upgrading the free breakfast.

• Desk staff and management were approached as to why management couldn’t have contacted you when available.

minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

When reservations made, told a aarp discount would be applied. When checked in I presented card and it was just pushed back at me.Hotel is not that clean, with wall in bathroom cracking and mold starting

• Liked — ?
  • Disliked — rooms old, high priced, bathrooms need work
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

• Management was approached concerning the AARP discount that you were told would be applied and then was not.

• Housekeeping received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of the cracking wall in the bathroom of the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at BEST WESTERN Midway Riverfront Resort. L think you will be greatly pleased.

British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

Best thing about this hotel was the free shuttle. My room was at least two blocks from the front desk with 3 sets of two double doors to negotiate with all my luggage and no one to assist. My room was filthy. bathroom counter had toothpaste rings on it (yes they came off - but what else was lurking there and couldn't be seen?) The floor had bits of toilet paper on it. only the main parts of the carpet had been cleaned - so when I went searching for a plug for my charger, I found the edges of the room 4-6 inches from the wall hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Which likely explains the smell in this room. I was too tired to haul all my baggage to another room so I ate (good food in the restaurant although it didn't match the description in the menu) and went to bed. Shortly after midnight I was awakened by doors slamming and loud voices - looked out and found the room opposite me was hosting a party. Front desk offered to send security and they might have - it was after 1:30 when the noise died down. Next morning they said it was a tour group but offered no apology. I wouldn't choose this hotel again.

• Liked — free shuttle - when asked they got me to my rental car so I could leave
  • Disliked — cleanliness - I dont mind an older property but this didn't seem safe for an animal to stay in let alone a human. Filthy. Guessing the health authorities haven't been there in a while or they'd shut it down.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing BEST WESTERN Midway Riverfront Resort for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you liked our free shuttle and found it a convenience.

• The shuttle crew was notified of the nice things you said about them and their service.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will change your mind and will once again choose to stay at BEST WESTERN Midway Riverfront Resort. We do pay attention to our reviews, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Been to BEST WESTERN Riverfront Hotel? Share your experiences!