““Excellent Motel”” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Welch Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Crosse
Welch Motel
3643 Mormon Coulee Rd, La Crosse, WI 54601   |
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in La Crosse
Duluth, Minnesota
““Excellent Motel””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

First Impression: I usually stay at a downtown hotel but decided to venture into the interior of La Crosse. In short, I am happy that I did. The Welch Motel is located off of a busy highways 14 61 35. However, once inside it feels very warm and inviting. The motel is updated.

Staff: I was greeted by an enthusiastic young man upon check-in. It appeared that he really enjoyed his job, which made for a fun check-in. Everyone I encountered at the motel was very nice!

Room: My room was beautiful. Very clean and well put together. I was apprehensive about staying at a lower star motel but gave it a chance because of all of the reviews I had seen.

Location: The motel is conveniently located near an array of restaurants, mall, gas stations, and grocery stores all of which are within a 1 to 5 minute drive. Walgreens appeared to be within walking distance. The property is within a 10 minute drive to tourist attractions like State Park and Granddad Bluff.

I highly recommend this motel and will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had to stay here because it was the last place with a room because of the Irish Festival and we were just passing thru so we were thankful we had a place to sleep. No phone in the room. One small pillow per person. Tv was an old analog and sat so low on the stand we couldn't see without our feet in the way and bed wasn't strong enough for us to sit up in. Looks like it was remodeled but not everywhere. Not enough light in the room even with 2 lamps and 1 overhead light. No breakfast .

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

A very clean and charming motel. For us as foreigners it was a quite nostalgic feeling of how we imagined traveling in the USA. The owner was very interesting and interested. We talked long about a lot of things and felt very welcome and safe.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Morris, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Like others we usually stay at the large chains, we are really glad we didn't this time. Kenya, the desk clerk, housekeeper, handy-person and just about everything else at the motel was so very helpful during our stay. The room was neat and clean, comfortable, and our stay was enjoyable. If, and when, we go to La Crosse again there is no doubt where we will stay. We will bring a coffee pot however.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

What a surprise. We were looking for a place to stay just for one night usually we stay at larger hotels but we decided to try the Welsh motel recommended by the locals. The front desk was extremely helpful the rooms were clean and a bench along with an ashtray was supplied front of our room we would recommend this hotel for anyone passing through lacrosse

• Stayed June 2013
Warks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The purpose of our visit to La Crosse was to see our niece and children. Top quality accommodation was not required as we only needed a bed for the night and other hotels nearer the centre were already booked up. This proved not to be a problem as the Welch Motel, although very basic, was more than adequate for our stay. The rooms are typical of Motels but was very clean and well furnished. We were particularly impressed with shower and bathroom facilities which were much better than higher priced accommodation. The cost of the room was great value. Added bonus was that some of the motel staff are from India which gave us a common interest in the game of cricket! Only the English and Indians would understand this!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

After years of staying in "traditional" hotels in La Crosse and spending $300-$400 a weekend, we thought to try the Welch Motel after reading some of the reviews.
My husband's first comment upon opening the door was, "well, I've stayed in worse".
So, first the good the things:
1) Pretty good location - 5 minutes drive from the heart of downtown La Crosse. We rarely stay in our hotel when we are in La Crosse (a reason to not want to spend $$$) so the drive back in the evening and out again in the morning was not a problem.
2) The room was clean. The furniture was VERY basic, pressed wood like Sauter or similar. It has a flat-screen television, small microwave, and small fridge, dresser, two chairs and table and bed. Carpet appeared newer.
3) The bathroom seemed recently updated. The shower was roomy, good water pressure. No counter, so make-up, shaving etc. you have use toilet for counter-top. Bathroom was clean. Bring shampoo and other toiletries as well as blow dryer, etc.
4) Windows opened for fresh air and we kept them open all night - no problem with other guests being loud or traffic.
5) Has AC - we didn't use it so we don't know how loud it is?
6) Bed comfort was about a 6 out of 10.

Areas for improvement:
1) New towels. The ones we had were blue and very thin and worn. I would suggest thicker and white, so they can be bleached. Or I would consider bringing my own - seriously.
2) Owners may consider purchasing new bedding. Like the towels, the comforter and blanket were dated, old, faded and worn. The blanket should be one that can be washed and bleached and cotton vs the fuzzy style that was on our bed. I folded it at the end of the bed and never used it. Sheets were fine. Could use better pillows. I bring my own, but my husband didn't seem to mind his.
3) Chair was stained. That alone has an "ick" factor, so owners really need to really clean that or re-upholster.
4) It was warm with no air flow, but not hot enough for turning on air conditioner - a ceiling fan or small room fan would have been great.

I would consider staying there again, just because it is so much better in price that other hotels and we are rarely there. I am not sure I could convince my husband to return. I can honestly say that with just a few changes (towels and bedding especially) I don't think he would have a problem with it at all.

Room Tip: We choose non-smoking and there was no hint of smoke... Choose a room furthest from the road just i...