“Some good, some could be better” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Front Street North, La Crosse, WI 54601   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in La Crosse
Minnesota
“Some good, some could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

[Note - I'd really give this a 3.5 if I could. I don't think its quite 4, but it didn't dissapoint me enough to drop to a 3]

Anyway, my buddy and I took our teenage daughters to La Crosse last week for three nights. I really love their two bedroom layout - its like being in an apartment. It worked well for us - we put the girls in one room, one of us was in the second room, and the other on the sleeper sofa. Both bedrooms and the common room have tvs.

Location - You can't beat the location of the hotel as it is right near Riverside Park (though no direct view of the river) and central to lots of bars and restaurants.

The Room - The room was clean, and everything was functional and in good repair. The water pressure in the shower was a bit on the low side, but ok. The only thing the kitchen lacks is an oven, so its set up well for those who want to eat in. We ordered in, but used the fridge and micro for leftovers. The main room has a couch and a comfy chair, and there are two additional chairs at the kitchen island that you could pull in if needed. It seemed just a bit dark, as if one more light in the room would have come in handy, but that was no big deal.

The Pool - I concur with previous posts on this topic. I think this was quite literally the smallest hotel pool I have ever seen, plus its a goofy "L" shape. My totally unscientific measurement is about 17' on the long side, and about 10' on the short side. Or to put this another way, its just right for the arm-floaty set, but I wouldn't get in if there had been more than six or seven people, especially if they were adult size. The hot tub is also small - it has a posted capacity of four. Having said that, both were clean, the hot tub was hot, and the pool was not too cold. Because the entire area is small there is also only one table, but there is a mezzanine with a few more tables accessible from the second floor.

Breakfast - The hotel gets low marks for breakfast. We were there for three mornings and each morning it was the same scrambled eggs. Two mornings included bacon, and they finally switched it up the third morning and did sausage links instead. There is also a waffle maker, but unfortunately only one. Plus there is the usual assortment of bread/bagels/doughnut, a couple kinds of cereal, and oatmeal packets. Breakfast also suffers from the layout of the area (small, and crammed into a corner) and the generally small amount of seating - one morning we just took our food back to the room. As a result, the area became quite crowded, but we were not on any real time schedule and if there was a crowd we just tried again ten minutes later. But not everybody has that luxury, and I think breakfast selection, and the breakfast area, is becoming more of a big differentiator between hotels. If other hotels offered similar room layouts I might very well choose differently based on the breakfast alone.

By the way, all the staff we dealt with over the three days were very friendly and helpful with suggestions and maps, etc....

Final note - we were in Room 208, which happens to be directly above a mechanical space, with the elevator on one side, and a stairwell on the other. There was quite a bit of noise as a result, to the point where we almost asked to switch rooms after the first night. But we didn't ask so that's on me. On the other hand, all hotels have mechanical spaces and its kind of on them to design for it. So this isn't so much a knock on the hotel as it is a warning - you may want to avoid room 208.

Would I stay here again? For the room layout and location - definitely (just not in 208!). But if other hotels come up with similar layouts I might switch based on the pool and breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid 208 (and quite possibly any other unit next to the elevators)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

GrandStay was a great place for us and our Golden Retriever as we started a trip along the Mississippi. Very comfortable room, clean, and fantastic location. Just a few hundred yards from Riverside Park and the Mississippi. We walked there morning and night and it was delightful. Many restaurants within walking distance and easy navigation if you're driving further afield. Just a super place at a good price. Would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Our room was ground level towards the back. Quiet and easy access in and out. Perfect for the dog.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked a night at the Courtyard and something happened so our RSVP was lost. They told us the most comparable hotel to them was this place. I don't think they're even in the same league as one another....especially for this price.
While I was thankful that they had a spare room, I regretted that I didn't want to spend the extra time (it was very late after a long drive) driving to the other downtown hotels to see if they had rooms.
The hotel is beyond outdated. The front desk girls couldn't have cared less about what was going on (upon entering and leaving).
I do agree with other reviewers, seeing the kitchenette was a nice surprise- although we had no use for it, it was neat that those are in each rooms.
Other than that, uncomfortable beds...I'd have to agree with another reviewer about their breakfast items. By 8:30 they were out of everything; so we just found a place downtown to eat, which was probably better anyways.
for this kind of $/night, you'd think you'd have modern amenities and a comfty bed....until they update this place, spend a little less and stay at the Hyatt, Stoney Creek or Courtyard. The best thing I can say about this place is that it would be a fabulous place to stay with a group for Oktoberfest or the 4th of July as it is so close to everything.

Room Tip: Away from elevators! You'll hear it all night/morning long.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
525Front, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I am happy to announce we will be remodeling the hotel and look forward to exciting changes towards the end of the year. We also have recently installed brand new beds, sofa sleepers and club chairs in every suite. We certainly welcome and value all comments and reviews from our guests as it helps us understand what we’re doing right and what we can improve on. All reviews are shared with the entire La Crosse GrandStay team and utilized for continued training.
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Never stayed or heard of Grandstay before our friends booked us in here. Fantastic room, and clean throughout. Great breakfast too. In addition, a fantastic location near the river in La Crosse. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope you will choose GrandStay for future lodging accommodations!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had stayed in a GrandStay in Madison in June and was pleasantly surprised by the suite, service and affordable price. The GrandStay in LaCrosse is even more impressive due to the location being right down on the river. Everything downtown is within a mile or two walking distance. We only used the car a couple of times. The suite is large with two flat screen TV's. Morning walks along the river before breakfast are fabulous. Pool is a little small but there is plenty to do in LaCrosse so we didn't bother to use the pool anyway. Did use the hot tub one evening. If you are going during Oktoberfest you are located right next to the grounds. Would definitely recommend this hotel for a pleasant stay in LaCrosse. Lots of great bars and restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate your business and recommendation to others!
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

After checking into GrandStay Residential Suites on 8/25, I decided to take shower. As I was taking shower, I noticed there was no rubber mat to place on bottom of tub and it was quite slippery. After shower, I asked the guest room attendant who was cleaning room across from ours, if I could get a mat for tub. She was very polite and said she would get me one. About 5 minutes late, she knocked on door and said there were no mats available. What ?? I said I would check at front desk. As I was leaving for dinner, I asked at front desk for rubber mat and clerk said none were available. I said the tub was very slippery and a rubber mat would be a nice safety item. She said other guests had mentioned about tubs being slippery. I told her if I fall in shower, I will be doing much more than mentioning how slippery tub is !! She said sorry ! How can a hotel be out of shower/tub mats? I think a simple mathematical calculation could be, if you have 55 rooms, you would have 90 tub mats to be able to switch out and replace ? This is not rocket science !
Guess things are run much differently in Wisconsin, than in other parts of the country.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed at the GrandStay Residential Suites in LaCrosse WI. As with most GrandStay's hotel is in excellent condition. Room was very clean. 2-room suite is perfect for the business traveler with a separate sleeping and living/kitchen area with great value price. Plenty of room to spread out work and prepare for meetings. Staff was most helpful. Hotel has excellent locations right along the Mississippi, walking distances from parks. Great place to make you feel a little bit "at home" when on the road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
#5 of 17 in La Crosse
4.0 of 5 stars 78 reviews
BEST WESTERN Riverfront Hotel
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse

Been to GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel La Crosse? Share your experiences!