“The perfect place to stay, just needs faster internet and better opening windows.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites La Crosse

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in La Crosse
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Space: Excellent amount of space per room.
Cupboard items: Excellent choice of food, snacks, toiletries, etc.
Staff Mannerism: Very polite and well trained.
Parking: Plentiful and always space available/well-lit.
Windows: Fresh air is a must. Re-breathing old, stale air from months of previous guests prevents a good nights rest. Not being able to open windows is a bit annoying.
HDTV: Excellent service provider (Charter) and a digital HDTV box in every room.
Internet access: The best I could get was about 1.76Mb/s. I believe the hotel uses CenturyLink DSL as their ISP. Nothing against CenturyLink, but the performance of DSL is quite laggy, slow and not decent enough to Video Teleconference with other business colleagues. I would highly recommend management switch to Charter for their internet service. They already use them for TV services, so the transition would be as simple as installing a cable modem in the communications closet to replace the dsl modem. I once did this for a living, so I know. Speeds would exceed 50Mb/s versus their slow DSL connection shared between numerous guests. Management: Don't try to defend your slow internet by saying it was caused by an outage, weather, etc. like other hotels have done in response to my past reviews. I have stayed here twice and both times have rendered the same speed results.
Peacefulness: Even having a room in the front of the hotel is peaceful, except for the selfish annoying motorcycle riders whom pass by every now and then. The hotel is far enough away from all the rowdy bars to have near perfect silence most of the time.
Gym: The fitness center is very spacious. One could do crossfit, aerobics, P90X, insanity, whatever. The equipment is also plentiful. Water is unlimited, and towels provided.
Laundry: The hotel has several laundry machines. One of them is a super duty machine for large blankets, jackets, etc. All free of charge. I have noticed other hotels that limit their dryer cycles so they end up charging guests twice to dry a single load. Not the Candlewood. Never. They seem to understand that people simply don't have time to go looking for quarters to do something so necessary as keeping clothing clean on busy trips. No one wants to even think about going through the trouble of doing that on a trip. Candlewood understands this perfectly.
Kitchenette: In every room there is a full kitchen. No problems with any of the appliances or utensils. Excellent!
Beds: Very comfortable.
Hotel Construction: As usual with the Candlewood brand, the floors are made of plywood, not concrete. I am a light sleeper, so having an overweight and clumsy person staying above me (or a woman with high heels) is quite annoying. I had to move from the 3rd to the 4th floor.
Modern: The hotel is very modern and the owners seems to take very good care of it.
Overall: I'd say this is one of the best hotels in the Lacrosse area that you could stay in. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Total silence is in the rear of the hotel on the top floor, obviously. You will also get better cell...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
mrkhughes, General Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I really can't thank you enough for your kind words about our property. I agree that our floors will not block out all noise that may affect other guests and we will politely make the guests aware of another guests concerns. We're all very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us while you were in La Crosse. We hope to see you again in the future when you may be traveling to the area.

Thank You again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our two night stay at the Candlewood was not enjoyable.

First the good: The hotel appears relatively new and located just a short walk (10 minutes) from the downtown area. There was fresh paint on the walls. The carpet and tile were in good condition. The beds were somewhat comfortable, and linens were average to slightly above average. There is a mini kitchen and full-sized refrigerator/freezer (with ice maker) as well as a dish washing maching. You are also offered a complimentary soda or bottled water when you check in.

Neutral, but noteworthy items: There was no pool or restaurant, but there are a handful of restaurants nearby, including a grocery store.

Now the bad: The hotel is located on a busy road, so if your room is located on the street-side, it will be noisy. While our room was on the opposite side, you could easily hear roam noise from the lobby that faced the road.

The primary complaint my wife and I have was the strong smell in the interior of the hotel. The smell of the heavy deodorizer literally knocks you over. I've stayed in dozens of different hotels and never experienced a hotel with such a strong (voluntary) smell.

The cleaning crew comes only once a week, so the hotel installed "Scent Air" machines in the hallways to cover up the odor. This overwhelming deodorizer smell permeates the air in the hallways and into your room. The smell irritated my sinuses and made my wife's eyes water and get itchy. We strongly considered moving to another hotel, but were unable to find a reasonably-priced available room elsewhere, so we toughed it out.

We attempted to open the window in our room to air out the strong smell. Opening the window required Herculean strength (and also exposed extensive black mold on the window sill), but I finally managed to get it open. After the room's strong deodorizer smell somewhat aired out after ~5 hours, a stale, greasy smell reminiscent of a fast food deep fryer remained (presumably from past guests and the lack of daily cleaning). The strong deodorizer smell had previously covered up this stale, greasy smell.

We made complaints to the front desk about the smell (first, about the deodorizer, then, about the greasy smell). The gentleman said he was the only one working (on a busy Friday night in mid-August--which seemed puzzling) so he could not help us for at least several hours, but would follow-up with us. We never received a call back or any follow-up. This lack of customer service was not surprising given that when we passed by the front desk, the clerk was failed to answer the constantly-ringing phone.

Overall, we found the smell and lack of customer service to be major detractions to this hotel. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear John F,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and your nice comment regarding the room amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the scent air and customer service. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here one night after a 15 hour driving day. The room was spotless, and had a nice kitchen and sitting area. The bathroom was large. Just next door was a little plaza with a pizza place, a burrito place, and a great grocery store. The only downside for us was that there was no pool, and the wifi was spotty.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Only stayed 1 night. The room was clean, quiet and close to a grocery store. The front desk employees were very nice and helpful. It isn't real close to downtown but it was a nice walk after traveling all day. The only things they could improve are adding a place to hang bath towels or clothes in the bathroom and better lighting. If you are on an extended stay it would be perfect, has a great little kitchenette.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that our team was able to help you and was friendly. We're happy to have the grocery store next door also. Thank you also for the suggestions! I've talked to our maintenance engineer to see if he can locate something that would work for us with one of our vendors to place hooks in our bathrooms. We'd really enjoy seeing you again in the future when you are in area again.

Thank You again!
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in a studio suite, it is a very nice hotel and looks very new. The front desk staff was very friendly and courteous. Our room had a fully loaded kitchenette, fridge with ice cube maker, microwave with a complimentary popcorn for popping, small 2 burner stove, sink, dishes, pot/pan, glasses, cups, coffee maker, silverware, dish soap and more. The room was spacious with a small table/desk perfect for 2 people, TV and DVD player, with the option to checkout DVDs at the front desk or bring your own. There is also a nice recliner for watching your movies. Bathroom is also nice an spacious with one of those bow out curtains. Counter tops in kitchen and bath counter tops, over all the rooms are decorated very nicely. There is a grocery store within walking distance. What we also liked is the location from downtown it is a straight drive down the road about 2 miles. Great stay and will stay there again when we are in La Crosse.

Room Tip: House keeping is provided on a weekly basis so no one but your self will be going into your room. I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripdavisor! A lot of people comment on how convenient the grocery store is to our location and I am glad it was convenient for you as well. We are happy that it is close also because it makes things so much easier for our guests especially since we have the kitchens in the rooms. I'm very happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcome. We're looking forward to seeing you in the future when you are in the La Crosse area again! Thank you again for reviewing us.
Ripon, Wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent 8 yrs in hotel management so I'm very picky about hotels. As a disabled traveler I see things from a different aspect. If you use a wheelchair or scooter, this is the place for you!

The first nice thing I was greeted with was automatically opening doors. You wouldn't believe how unusual that is in the LaCrosse area hotels (see my other reviews). The front desk has a lower area designed just for wheelchairs, which is always a nice touch, so check-in was a breeze.

I had room 106, right off the lobby, easy to get to. On one side was the laundry room so I was concerned there would be noise or smell, but neither was a problem. The room was extremely quiet both nights. Early on I had a request and stopped one of the housekeeping staff and when I came back an hour later she had handled it and was EXTREMELY nice when I asked her.

The room is HUGE compared to other hotels. Not only could I get my scooter in the room, I could turn it around in the room! There was plenty of room to put it off to the side and still have room for people to walk around comfortably without it being in the way. I could even drive my scooter in between the beds! The desk is designed so that a WC or scooter can drive right up under it. The beds are soft without being mushy.

The bathroom is nice and large and designed well for a HC traveler. There are lots of extra sturdy handrails in all the right places and a sink that is actually roll-up ready. A walk in shower with a shower chair on the wall was the best part.

Staff was extremely nice and helpful and all in all a great experience, so while this was at the upper end of what I usually spend, it was well worth it to me. I'll be sticking with this hotel when I come back to LaCrosse.

Room Tip: Room 106 was close if you are walking-disabled.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made you feel welcomed. I'm very happy that everything in the room made things easier for you and was convenient. We're looking forward to seeing you again in the future when you are in the La Crosse area again. Thank You again for reviewing us.
La Crosse, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the most terrible hotel I have EVER stayed in. If you are staying for a night, it looks alright on the surface. But it is really not worth the money. The room has a bad smell, housekeeping never comes (I've been here 3 weeks!), you have to get towels and all yourself at the front desk, no amenities, bad management. Seriously, priced a hundred over dollars? Go somewhere else. I wouldn't stay this long if I had the choice.

Room Tip: The rooms are overpriced, mainly because it's in an apt's layout with the kitchen and all, t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
mrkhughes, General Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. I'm really terribly sorry for the experience you are having at our hotel. We do weekly housekeeping in order to respect the privacy of our extended stay guests. However not being done for 3 consecutive weeks should not happen and I truly apologize. We take our cleanliness standard very seriously. I checked our system and I did not see any guests staying for that amount of time that were in at that rate. If you reach out to me I want to do whatever I can to make this right for you. Thank you again!

Been to Candlewood Suites La Crosse? Share your experiences!