“One night in LaCrosse” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in La Crosse
Duluth, Minnesota
“One night in LaCrosse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel would be a good choice for any one going to LaCrosse. Good location,
Very clean, kitchen in the room with everything that you need to cook a meal.
Nice towels, comfortable beds and very nice sheets. We liked it. hopefully you will to

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My family stayed in two rooms for 5 days. People at the front desk were friendly and helpful. Rooms were ok, and quiet. Bathroom was good. Both rooms had a large refrigerator with a stove and microwave, so that you could cook your own meals if you want (a Festival grocery store is only a block away). The hotel doesn't have a standard free breakfast like many. They do have a pantry with various items in it, but the only free thing is coffee. The location is in North La Crosse, just past the bridge over the La Crosse River (and a very nice bike trail there). The downside is that there are really no good restaurants near the hotel. For breakfast, the best nearby choice is a Perkins, north about a mile away. There are a couple Chinese restaurants nearby that are ok, and a sub place and burritto place next to the hotel. Otherwise, you need to go to downtown La Crosse. This is a good choice for an extended stay (especially for business travelers) -- especially if you cook your own meals, and the price is much more resonable than the downtown La Crosse hotels. Also, note that maid service only occurs once per week - you can go to the front desk and exchange towels if you want.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel (not facing the highway) are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Trenton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

The decor of the rooms is nice, bed is comfortable and all the appliances seem to work well. Nicely appointed gym and free(!) laundry room. Very good for longer stays. As others have mentioned, the sound-proofing is not the best. I shared a wall with the gym and was awakened two days in a row by someone on the treadmill on the other side of the wall. The 2nd time, I pounded on the wall, and apparently they heard me, because they stopped! WiFi works well and there is a decent cable selection. I and others in my party were annoyed to find a $700 hold on the credit cards we had given for incidentals when the rooms were pre-paid by our companies. We're notdrug-addled rock stars or juveniles. I think it would be difficult for us to rack up that kind of a bill in two weeks, especially when there is a large grocery store within walking distance. If somebody improved the property across the street, it might actually have a nice view. There is a little pond in back. The barbecue are is a nice touch that I haven't seen at other hotels like it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Palm Coast, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites for a month and the hotel was fantastic. The staff were always helpful and the hotel was very quiet. Housekeeping did a job of keeping the room clean. The location is a short distance from downtown and the universities. In addition, there is a large grocery store that is short walk, without having to cross any traffic. I strongly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Candlewood Suites! More and more travelers are relying on honest reviews from previous guests when making their hotel selections, and I can't thank you enough for contributing to our hotel's reviews. I'm glad that you experienced the great guest service and clean, comfortable suites that we pride ourselves on. Many of our guests really enjoy our proximity to Festival Foods as well as downtown. Thank you again for your kind words and I hope you choose us in the future during your time in La Crosse.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012 via mobile

Arrived very late on a Friday. Desk clerk was extremely pleasant. Small but nice lobby. Strike one: Had requested a room near another guest, but ended up on different floors / opposite ends of hallway, although the hotel was not sold out. Room looked nice upon entry, but then saw (Strike 2) that the toilet was visually dirty. Fecal matter in bowl, but we were too tired to complain, and we were checking out in 6 hours. Then, Strike 3. We left behind an item. Called the hotel that afternoon from home & asked about item. My daughter was still at the hotel, in a different room with friends, so I asked if she could claim item. Was told she could NOT claim item because items left in rooms are turned into Manager, and his room is locked. "Please call back on Monday!" Ok, called back, left message, never heard back. Last week I received an online survey about our stay, at the end of which, in the comment section, I responded in the affirmative when I was asked if I wanted to be contacted by management. Never heard a word. So facility is nice, new, front desk great, but very disappointed in getting any response when it mattered.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Candlewood Suites! More and more travelers are relying on honest reviews from previous guests when making their hotel selections, and I can't thank you enough for contributing to our hotel's reviews. Please accept my apology for the experiences you had while staying at our property. We try very hard to honor all requests and I am sorry we were unable to place you closer to the person you requested. I am also very sorry for the cleanliness of the bathroom in your room. This is not typical for our property and have addressed this with our housekeepers and used this as a training opportunity so that it does not happen in the future. I also apologize for not returning your call regarding the lost and found item. We were having issues with our phone system and with that never received voicemails that were left.
I don't believe any of the experiences you had are acceptable and I take responsibility for the problems you had. I hope if you are ever in the area again that you will give us a second chance to wow you and give you the hotel experience you deserve. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences on Tripadvisor.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We recently spent three nights here. The rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable and it was quiet at night even though the building construction is not very sound proof. The pantry offers a variety of reasonably priced food items that can be prepared in the rooms. Coffee is free and decent.

It would be nice to have a map of local trails posted in the lobby for walkers and runners. It is a beautiful town along three rivers.

There is a 24 hour Festival Foods a short block away which is great for picking up groceries. The adjacent liquor store is open 7 days a week (unlike the primitive restrictive hours in an adjoining state-closed on Sundays) and is well stocked with wines and numerous microbrew and craft beers. On Wisconsin!

The hallway carpets seemed to have dirt on them most of the time and could stand more frequent vacuuming. I asked twice at the front desk, from two different people, for an extra blanket. They insisted that they would deliver it to the room, even though I offered to pick it up at the time. The blanket was never delivered.

It would be nice if the restaurant would recycle glass and plastic containers. There were two poorly visible blue recycling containers in the pantry, one marked aluminum, one unmarked but appeared to be used for paper. Collection containers could be placed in the hallway by the rear entrance. My family and I try to be green when we travel. I appreciate the energy saving lights and climate controls in the rooms.

Since most travelers are not used to the extended stay lodging concept, it would be nice to have additional reminders of the differences. For instance, while signs mention that housekeeping is done weekly, it is not clear that guests need to remove their own trash even if they are not using the kitchenettes.

Room Tip: ask for a room without pets next door
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Candlewood Suites! More and more travelers are relying on honest reviews from previous guests when making their hotel selections, and I can't thank you enough for contributing to our hotel's reviews. I'm glad that you experienced the great guest service and clean, comfortable suites that we pride ourselves on with the exception of course of the blanket not being delivered as well as the dirt on the hallway carpet. I have addressed both these issues with our staff to ensure it does not occur in the future. We have become far more mindful of this and have adjusted our labor needs accordingly. We have been awarded bronze status with the League of American Bicyclists and now have trail maps and front desk employees can give directions to these trails that are suitable for any need you may have whether you are looking for a nice walk, hike, or bike. We are also proud to be recognized by Travel Green Wisconsin as a green tourism business. We recycle what we are able but unfortunately we are unable to recycle some materials due to what our waste collector is able to accommodate. Hopefully in the near future we will be able to recycle more materials.
Thank you again for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor and I hope that you will choose us again in the future during your time in La Crosse.
amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

This is a home from home kind of hotel. Fully equipped kitchen and even a recliner for your (giant LCD) TV. The room was huge and clean. The materials simple (the doors seem to be from carton) Quiet enough to keep out the noise from the road. Breakfast -as usual with candlewood- is non existing, but the festival grocery is around the corner so you prepare something yourself. Also there is a little shop in the hotel to buy some food. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Candlewood Suites! More and more travelers are relying on honest reviews from previous guests when making their hotel selections, and I can't thank you enough for contributing to our hotel's reviews. I'm glad that you experienced the great guest service and clean, comfortable suites that we pride ourselves on. Our business model is built around giving our guests as much freedom as possible to do what you want when you want. This model is the primary reason behind us not providing a complimentary breakfast as so many other hotel properties. We do have several options you may choose from in our Candlewood Cupboard for breakfast. We are very happy to have the Festival Foods so close to proximity of us, which gives our guests an option for being able to live more like they might at home and make it easier for them to prepare something they like.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences on Tripadvisor and thank you for your kind words. I hope you will choose us again in the future during your time in La Crosse.

Been to Candlewood Suites La Crosse? Share your experiences!