“This WAS our go-to...” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Super 8 La Crosse to your Saves list
Orbitz.com Priceline.com
Super 8 La Crosse
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1625 Rose St, I-90 at Exit 3, Hwy 53 South, La Crosse, WI 54603   |
Ranked #11 of 16 hotels in La Crosse
Marshfield, Wisconsin
“This WAS our go-to...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My fiance and I travel to La Crosse frequently and on a trip a few months back for a concert stayed at the Super 8 and decided to make it our go-to because of the proximity to the La Crosse Center (it's a cheap cab ride there and to 3rd St) and because it had nice rooms and was comfortable.
I even encouraged a very large group of my friends to all stay here when we came down for the Shinedown concert a couple of weeks ago. BAD IDEA.

First, when we got to our room it smelled like feet (room 238). I opened the window and turned on the fan on our heating/cooling unit. It kinda helped...not totally, but enough to get us through until we took off for dinner and our concert. My friends in at least 2 other rooms experienced the same smell.
Shortly after arriving in our room we noted the television (that is advertised as NEW FLAT SCREENS on their sign outside of the property) only had sound. The screen did not work at all. We called down to the desk where the guy told us they were fully booked and could not change our room, but they would get maintenance in to look at it asap (yea, never happened).

We could have gotten over these things...they are trivial because we really only needed a place to crash. BUT when I brought up the television to the front desk staff upon checkout (when the staff asked how we liked our stay), the woman up front claimed we never contacted them about the television because it was not in their book (that they write issues in). When I said the time we called down and nodded over to the male at the desk (indicating we spoke with him, the only male working at the time we checked in), she behaved very rudely towards us like we were making it up. At that point I chose to bring up the nasty smell in our room and said what we did to correct the smell for the short term. I also pointed out that the hair dryer did not work, but it was ok because I had mine with me.
The woman at the desk then got very snotty and rude towards us and said she would give us a 10% discount on our room, BUT because we booked it online (through Priceline) we already got "enough of a discount". Really?! REALLY!? I just did a standard booking through there...nothing fancy and paid the same room rate my friends did who booked through Expedia (difference was the fees paid). Mind you, we asked for NOTHING and this was brought up by her.
Honestly, having to deal with her craptastic attitude should have earned us a free week's stay.

Tip to the management:
--Fix your staff. We were very laid back about things until your staff got rude with us. I did not ask for a discount or any other freebees...all I did was say what we did to fix the smell and point out that nobody came to fix the television as was promised. We expected nothing and were just happy our cab fare was half of what we spent staying in Onalaska by the mall like we used to do. I will gladly pay a higher cab fare to go out and have a good time and not have it ruined by stinky rooms, malfunctioning electronics, and rude staff.

--Clean your rooms. Shampoo the carpets, air them out...whatever it takes to get rid of that smell. It smelled like my fiance's feet after working all day in the middle of summer without socks.

--Fix your stuff. The hair dryer (yes, I know there are multiple buttons to push and where the reset button is) did not work and the television is useless without a functioning screen. Don't blame the guests when your stuff sucks.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stay in Onalaska or at one of the more expensive hotels downtown to avoid this hassle again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EMielkeGM, General Manager at Super 8 La Crosse, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel online, and giving us feedback from your recent stay with us. I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize for your unpleasant experience as our guest. I appreciate the time that you took to bring this matter to our attention and I assure you that this is not a common occurrence at our hotel. Though from time to time, certain mechanical items may break and odors may occur that need to be brought to our attention, so I do thank you for that. I can certainly understand your frustration with arriving to find that the room you had reserved was not to your satisfaction, and we will make every effort to ensure that it does not happen again.

I will also follow up with the front desk representatives who were on duty during your stay to ensure that they are noting things properly and handling things in a more professional way.

Once again, I apologize for your unpleasant stay and any inconvenience we may have caused you. Please feel welcome at our hotel in your future travels.

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rush City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I drove three hours to this location for a concert. I am usually wary of staying at Super 8 hotels because of previous experiences, but I was surprised at how nice this place was. It was very easy to find and was very close to our event place. The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable (we had a king), we had a nice flat screen TV, and it was very quiet at night. We had time to enjoy the hot tub the following morning and enjoy a good breakfast. I definitely give this hotel Five Stars and would definitely return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

EMielkeGM, General Manager at Super 8 La Crosse, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel online. We are so pleased that you had a SUPER stay! We hope to see you again in the future.
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at the LaCrosse location and the second time we had to ask for clean sheets. Both times the pull out beds had dirty sheets. I thought it was a fluke the first time but twice is a little ridiculous. The sheets were all half way off and there was no top sheet not to mention the pillow was pushed down the bed. Oh and I must not forget someone left behind a plastic tooth pic under the couch. This was plain as day when you pulled out the bed. The whirlpool had a dirty wrapper of some sort and the shower had hair in it. One phone did not work and the intake fan was very loud. There was no way to shut the fan off. The front desk gentleman came right down with fresh sheets but asked if I wanted to put them on or him. We were to stay two nights but canceled the second night and booked else where.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am so sorry that you experienced those cleanliness issues. I will certainly follow up with our housekeeping department to ensure that it gets noted properly so it will not happen again. I assure you that this is not a common occurrence at our hotel, and we value your satisfaction. We apologize and hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Been to Super 8 La Crosse? Share your experiences!