“not sure how to rate - it was hit or miss” 3 of 5 stars

You added Americas Best Value Inn La Crosse to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn La Crosse
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2622 Rose Street, La Crosse, WI 54603   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in La Crosse
“not sure how to rate - it was hit or miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We traveled with a group on motorcycles and used 5 rooms that weekend. 3 of the rooms were fine, nothing special but clean. 2 of the rooms were poor at best. The mattress on the bed my husband and I had was U shaped. I mean as worn out as it gets. It was late and we were already tired from being on the road and undressed when we discovered this so we did not request a change of room. To say the least, we didn't sleep much. I considered sleeping on the couch in the room but it was so worn and dirty looking I wasn't going to sit in it much less sleep on it. The room also had a musty smell to it. My friends room was okay and the bed was fine but she said she could hear each step the person in the room above her took each time they went to the bathroom.

Breakfast was not much at all but I am not a breakfast eater so I was okay with that. It was clean and there were no bugs so that made me happy. If the mattress had been better it would have been fine. I just look for a good nights sleep and a shower when I am on the road.

I did notify the person at the desk of the pitiful condition of the bed and she was very polite and apologized. If we had requested a room Change I don't think they would have had a problem doing it - everyone was respectful and courteous.

So, some of the rooms were average and some were poor.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Divna M, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn La Crosse, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Our Dear Guest,

thank you for taking time of your busy schedule to write comment about your stay in our motel. I am very concerned that we didn't meet your expectations. Also we thank you for your feed back on the issues listed in this review. Please be assured that all comments will be taken in consideration.

Divna M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New Ulm, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

clean and quiet; older facility, but kept in satisfactory condition; no problems during our overnight stay; fast food, Walgreens and fast food nearby; easy to reach off interstate; waffles for breakfast--yum!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Our Dear Guest,

thank you for taking time of your busy schedule to write this nice comment about your stay in our motel. I am very glad that we met your expectations. Looking forward to have you as our guest in the future.

Northbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I had to write about lobby in this motel-never've seen bigger in any motel unless we stayed in resorts . We traveled with basketball team and Manager offered us lobby for the team get together. Didn't ask us to pay extra. We had a great day, won most of our games and evening was just a pleasure since we all just set down and relaxed. We stayed until late and nobody payed any attention on us being little louder. We talked to Manager in the morning and she explained us that lobby is positioned favorable to the rooms so sound doesn't travel. That was kind of relief since in most motels we are shushed down most of the times or chased in our rooms pass quite hours. Just had to share with all sport's group our there. Place doesn't have the pool but our Coach doesn't let kids use it any how because of the games.
We know where to stay when we come back in La Crosse!
Yes on the top of this the rooms are clean, breakfast is nice and people are super nice.
For sure place to come back to.

Room Tip: They do have rooms with 3 beds.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Our Dear Guest,

thank you for taking time of your busy schedule to write this nice comment about your stay in our motel. I am very glad that we've met your expectations. Having the specious lobby sure helps to meet our guest's needs and we love seeing happy customers. Your team was pleasure to have in our property-great kids and parents. Many thanks for all the nice comments from Americas Best Value Inn -La Crosse staff. Looking forward to have you as our guest in the future.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

That is totally me, I can care less for pool or hut tub. Don't use one even if they have it, I just know that price goes up soon as they are on the property. This place is clean, nice and accomodating-all what I need when I travel.

Room Tip: 300's are nicer rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I don't travel very often and front desk person offering the upgrade really surprised me. I did take it gratefully and loved the room. Very happy with cleanliness of the property, people smiling and being super nice threw the stay. Room had microwave and frig, iron and ironing board, coffee maker-couldn't complain on anything. Breakfast was also nice. Will stay again whenever I am visiting the family in Holmen.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms by music store.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Our Dear Guest,

Looking forward to have you as our guest in the future.
Roseville, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The price could not be beat. $40 a night is a great price in La Crosse, which in my experience generally has higher than average room rates for a city of its size. The rooms were not new, but they were clean and everything worked. The breakfast was good and had a waffle maker. The front desk kept breakfast open past 9am for my kids to get a few more items.

The front desk has a phone and you press Zero and someone will come to the desk. When I got there, the person was in the office. No problems checking in. At first they gave me the wrong room. I reserved two twins but got one twin. They quickly moved me to the correct room.

But again this is one of those hotels that provide that ridiculous room safe that no one uses and then they tack on a $1.50 or $2 daily fee. Most hotels allow you to ask for a refund. Not this one. I asked and they told me it was not refundable because they have to pay the safe company. Well I didn't believe the story about the safe company. Yes I find this irritating. If you need the revenue, then charge $1.50 more a day. I would have been more than happy to pay it.

So overall a good place to stay. The room safe fee just tarnishes the reputation of the place in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Our Dear Guest ,

thank you very much for taking time of your busy schedule to write about your stay in our motel. I am glad that you found most of your stay satisfactory. Thank your for letting us know about the issue with extra charges. Please be assured that the comment will be noted and I do thank you for writing about it. Looking forward to help you with any future accommodations.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We arrived about 6 pm on a Friday night and found no one at the front desk. We waited several minutes then decided to try calling, hoping someone would come and answer the phone. No one did even tho we could hear somebody in the room behind the counter. We even tried knocking on the office door with no result. After about 10 minutes 2 girls walked out. No apology was made for the wait. We had reservations otherwise we would have left. There were other people in line besides us waiting to check in who were commenting about why no one was coming to wait on any of us. The rooms had an odd smell and the bathroom was tiny . It was hard to sleep because it sounded like elephants stomping around above us all night. The halls were dingy and I observed someone walking around smoking in the hall even though it's a no smoking facility. The breakfast was skimpy and below par compared to other chains we stay at in the same price bracket. One good thing, the bed was comfortable, too bad it was too noisy to sleep.

Room Tip: Choose another motel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Our dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time of your busy schedule to write the comment about your stay. I am very sorry that we, as property didn't meet your expectations. I assure you that all the comments are noted and I will make sure that issues will be corrected. Thank you again.
Sincerely ,
Divna M.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn La Crosse? Share your experiences!